The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: A Tale of Three Projects
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 2:02 pm 
Never to do something by halves....

I still have the LWT which is very nearly 'finished', in respect to the fiddly little jobs, well as finished as these cars can ever be. Just a lick of paint and Bruce has agreed to pop down to my place at some point to sort out the overdrive electrics, fit a reversing light, check the timing and carb balance and a couple of little bits and bobs. Lucky man!

New additions: 1300FWD in the usual valencia Blue, I had this a while ago for a short period of time but sold it to a friend. I have since re-obtained it. Some bodywork required, namely a turret repair, new wings and a clean up of the bonnet. Thankfully all the necessary panels are there with the car.

Newest addition: a 2 door Tolly in either Pimento or Vermillion, I can never tell the difference. It's a former one owner car and hasn't run since the mid 1980's, she is amazingly rust minimal. Sadly, I couldn't get the engine to turn over by hand (although access/space was hugely limited, I put about 20ml of diesel down the plug holes of three of the cylinders as I couldn't get to the alternator fixings to move it out of the way to gain access to the last plug hole. This little car will need a complete recommissioning obviously.

Photos when I get the chance.

Although having recently retired, at least I have the time now lol.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 9:39 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

It will be pimento, the Toledo was phased out before vermillion was an option for them.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:34 am 
Cheers Alun, I always get confused between the two colours.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:44 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Good to see you posting on here again Ken. Mind you, I've been fairly quiet on the Dolomite front myself!

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:16 pm 

Excellent. I am looking forward to reading about what you get up to with these cars.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:52 pm 
Hiya guys, nice to hear from you. I will indeed keep things updated as and when, although the FWD is going to be swapped for a complete engine, gearbox and subframe from a donor car, this will be chucked into the 2 door Tolly.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:40 pm 
Did some work on the 2 door. The engine is toast, I've tried a mixture of magic brews and so on, zilch. As I mentioned, a plan is afoot to swap the very much rustier than I realised FWD for a complete engine, gear box and subframe.

I have started to strip things out of the engine bay and the only things that remain bolted onto the block are the distributor and fuel pump. In relation to the dizzy, I wanted to take it out as one big lump and undid the two nuts that appear to hold it in. It moves but isn't coming out. Have I missed something obvious?

In relation to taking the engine out, this is something I have never done before. The subframe and everything else will need to be replaced.

What is the best way - via the top or drop everything from the bottom? Am clueless as have never done it before.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:47 pm 

Ken,
I am not expert either, but I would think that all you need to do to remove the distributor (once you have taken off all the wires) is to undo the pinch bolt and pull the distributor up.
I would also imagine that if you need to replace the subframe, engine and gearbox you are best to undo everything, complete with suspension and lift the body off the assembly.
Now let's see what an expert says!