The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:39 pm 
Quote:
PS: back when I was doing the conversion, I was interested in keeping it within the HRCR Historic rally car regs; I don't know how proscriptive they are nowadays but in those days you could basically do anything to a new-build historic-class car, that had been done to them when they were 'modern'. So if you could find evidence of a previous car having been built in a particular way, you could do it.

In about 1973, one Ian "Del" Lines built and campaigned a 2-door Toledo Sprint rally car. Back in the late 1990s I went to see him at Weston-Super-Mare and he was a mine of information about the car he had and gave me (a.) lots of encouragement and (b.) a letter confirming some of the key mods that he had carried out on his car, which then gave me the historic provenance to build mine to the same spec. I'm guessing that letter is now lost along with - from the sound of it - much of the spares package I'd built up :-(

As at 2005, Del Lines was still active in the Rover SD1 Club as the club's Technical Advisor, but carrying out his duties remotely from his home in Marbella - hopefully he is still going strong (he will be 75 this year).
This interests me greatly. As I am hoping to do the same shortly but wasnt sure how prohibitive the HRCR would be with changing engine. But I am sure the rules still allow for "as you said above" time relevant spec changes if car had them while rallying in that period.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:22 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

I owned this car too for some time. We repainted it those original Bmc colours and then after a few years sold it to a guy who bought our touring car replica, which I have seen racing in South Africa on web I think. If you want any help with HRCR please let me know as have the GP2 works SOE8M and we are current 2016 Cat 3 HRCR champions in our Chevette HS. Basically as the previous owner says, you will have to prove the upgrades but SYB111L if my memory serves right was almost a works supported effort and was definitely used in period. With Cat 2 cars you have to prove use rather than have homologation papers (Cat 3 up). You would be welcome with open arms and the technical people and championship registrars are friends of ours.