The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 811 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 2055 Next
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:46 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
I did see something the other week saying Kenlowe have stopped making fans for cars. I prefer the design of the Revotech ones to be fair and they have an in-hose type sender which means it's won't leak like the Kenlowe bulb type. I did contact Revotec about custom brackets for a fan on a Sprint but they didn't get back to me which is disappointing. I'd prefer to use a bracket instead of tie wraps through the fins. Brackets wouldn't be hugely difficult to make but I figured that other Dolomite owners might like some.
It's one of these situations where I expect that they don't see themselves selling enough units for them to invest the time in designing and cutting a custom bracket.

I would imagine that with a it would be pretty easy to design and have some laser cut that I can make available through club spares. People can then buy a revotec kit then the brakets from us, or if I can get them at the right price then the complete package from us, I'll investigate.

Edit - looking on the website they do universal fan brackets already

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:23 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
If your car still has its original 15ACR alternator you will have to adapt the plug wiring to fit an A127 (or fit a new plug).
Ian, someone got there before me!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:12 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Basically this weekends job was to get everything finished and painted.

Started by fitting the club headlamp panels.

I had to make some new supports as the old ones were completely shot

The outer sections have had a tab welded to them then they have been screwed into the GRP club eyebrows.

I then got some high build primer on the front end, I think it was Aussie primer, the can only worked upside down!! :lol:

That was flatted back and stonechip applied to the lower valence.

I then painted the sills and undersealed all of my work under the car

Once I had done that I was able to fab some new sill bottoms, the club does these but I didnt have time to get any.

I then got everything in two coats of red primer.

Gave that 2 hours (as per the cans instructions) before applying three coats of honeysuckle top coat.

Not bad for a rattle can

Peeled off the masking and we are done!

Once the paint had dried I can cut in the front wings with some 2000 wet and dry then polish it all up. It's presentable for a rattle can job to get it through an MOT, I will get the car resprayed properly but in the meantime I am just going to enjoy her.

We very carefully fitted the bumper to stop any errant children running into the front of the car!

james

I can see how you fixed the headllight panels at the grill end but how have you fixed the lights near the wing end ?

Dave

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:39 pm 
Superb job James, are you going to use her as a daily?

I think an 1850 Auto is a great all rounder, I've been using my 2 door Toledo for a fair few years now and the only downside I have using the Toledo is demisting/defrosting on really cold/snowy mornings - curved dash slant Dolly's are much better in winter.

It's great to see the car back on the road :)

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 11:25 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
I think that Jon is talking about the Velleman kit. I can't find it on the Maplin site but they are freely available..
Thanks, found it. For £20 complete with a box it's worth a punt. Maplin don't stock them any more apparently, so I'll have to order online.
The Velleman K2543 kit is well over 30 years old in design (their own admission) and is a simple trigger, but it will stop points wear from arcing, and help with coil recharge at higher rpm.
Kit link: https://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/Ite ... nition-kit

A far better offer is this CDI/IDI hybrid circuit as it boosts an induction Ignition (Kettering ignition, or normal points and coil!) by using some of the technology from a capacitive discharge ignition like you get on a motorbike. The inventor's son in Canada still makes one off units! http://www.capacitordischargeignition.com/

Kit link: https://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/Ite ... c-ignition

Anyway, thought you might be interested, I'm still planning on fitting my megajolt stuff when I can get around to getting a trigger wheel for my crank pulley.

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:01 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
james

I can see how you fixed the headllight panels at the grill end but how have you fixed the lights near the wing end ?

Dave
Dave, I made some small tabs sport welded them to the inside outer edge of the headlamp panel then screwed (and glued with tigerseal) them to the grp eyebrows with a couple of self tappers.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:23 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Superb job James, are you going to use her as a daily?

I think an 1850 Auto is a great all rounder, I've been using my 2 door Toledo for a fair few years now and the only downside I have using the Toledo is demisting/defrosting on really cold/snowy mornings - curved dash slant Dolly's are much better in winter.

It's great to see the car back on the road :)
Thanks Ben, yes! I have been using her all week in the rain as well. Living in an area where everyone owns Discoverys, Range Rovers (including me :oops:) and Audi Q7's its so much fun standing out a bit. The other thing I found is that it's soooooo easy to drive, her road manners are impeccable for a 40 year old car, finding a parking space in the car park now is no longer a challenge and I love the disgusted looks that I keep getting from the ugly mummies in their Q7's at the school gates when I put my daughter in the back. She actually asked if I could come and collect her today in it! :lol:

The younger generation love it, I get loads of thumbs up from the school kids!

The voltage issue that I have was down to the fan belt slipping, I checked the tension and the alternator must have slipped so I readjusted and tightened it up and it's fine now.
Quote:
The Velleman K2543 kit is well over 30 years old in design (their own admission) and is a simple trigger, but it will stop points wear from arcing, and help with coil recharge at higher rpm.
Kit link: https://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/Ite ... nition-kit
Thanks for the info, the more I think about it a hall effect system or optical system like the Lumenition system would be a better bet. She seems to be ok at the moment, I want to put some miles on her on points to iron out any bugs there may be. The more I drive her the better she gets. She just sat on the A30 back from Basingstoke at 70 quite happily and climbed the hill outside Hartney Witney OK. The camshaft needs shimming up, the top end is very tappety. The weep from the water pump seems to have vanished and the water level's stayed constant. Oh and the rear wheel bearings really do need doing ASAP, they're a bit annoying! And I must change the diaphragm in the front seat, it's really saggy and uncomfortable. Will do that this weekend. :lol:

I'd like to get 500 miles under her belt before changing the oil and filter and adjusting the valve clearances (need some shims for that!) and probably change the exhaust. I've already done 100 so that may come up quite quick!! Then I'll think about halogen lights, fans, electronic ignition, new alternator and sympathetic upgrades.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 12:35 pm 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

Wow doesn't that Corsa look huge next to your Dolly!

I used to have an optical ignition system in the Sprint. Actually I had a few troubles with it and I suspect I'll fit a Hall Effect system instead once I'm up and running, or use a CSI or 123 Distributor. That's running before I can walk though, it'll be points and condenser to start with!

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 1:45 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Magnetronic, say's the person changing his to a 123 (hopefully) :D

ps. half the price of a optronic.

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:26 pm 
Bang for buck it has to be Velleman kit (partly because I am>45). I had one on my (no longer owned) 1850HL. They really do make a difference to using points with condenser.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 7:25 pm 

Firstly well done on getting another back on the road James, she's a cracker.

Second, before you go Halogen stick a multimeter on the headlamp terminals*. I'll bet you're not getting the full complement of electrons at the lamps. My 1500 for example was losing worst case 2.1V and best case 1.4V. Even the best of them was 10% down on power, and that was on a car in daily use and with all connections & terminals well looked after. Just like you are doing with your points/ignition, get the system that is there working right before thinking about upgrades.

*You don't actually want to measure the voltage across the bulb but I'll not pollute your thread further.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 8:07 pm 
Quote:
Thanks, found it. For £20 complete with a box
Where did you find a made up one? I can only find the kits.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:59 pm 
Quote:

Thanks Ben, yes! I have been using her all week in the rain as well....
Well done that man :)

I get the same looks with my Toledo in the snow, but I must say I swap Sprint wheels in the summer for Uniroyal winters and the Toledo has never been stuck, anywhere, even in six inches of snow, those Landy's and Q7's pah - the Toledo drove past them :)

I have a really good 1850 head here with your name on it if you ever need a spare, I removed it from a car BK did a long time ago, it purred, that's another reason I love 1850/TR7 engines - they can be sooo quiet, Sprints can be a bit noisey - 8 valves should be very very quiet :)

It's here in Liphook with a free set of stainless exhaust valves if you ever want to make up a head to swap over (that said, I probably have a block choice of 1850 or 2ltr if you want to go a bit further) just ask.

That's not a ad for everyone to ask for free bits.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 11:15 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:

I get the same looks with my Toledo in the snow, but I must say I swap Sprint wheels in the summer for Uniroyal winters and the Toledo has never been stuck, anywhere, even in six inches of snow, those Landy's and Q7's pah - the Toledo drove past them :)

I have a really good 1850 head here with your name on it if you ever need a spare, I removed it from a car BK did a long time ago, it purred, that's another reason I love 1850/TR7 engines - they can be sooo quiet, Sprints can be a bit noisey - 8 valves should be very very quiet :)

It's here in Liphook with a free set of stainless exhaust valves if you ever want to make up a head to swap over (that said, I probably have a block choice of 1850 or 2ltr if you want to go a bit further) just ask.

Can I have some free bits? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:32 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can I have some free bits? :lol:
No mine mine mine!! :lol:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 811 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 2055 Next