The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 811 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 1955 Next
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:28 pm 
TDC Member

Points were a tiny bit tight so I have reset them.

I will run it on points for a few hundred miles before switching to Optronic, I'll need to do something to the rev counter as well, I don't think the early ones work with it.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:19 pm 
TDC Member

Little refinements, and bedding back in .

All good news though

1965 Triumph 2000 black and rust
1967 BSA B40wd green
2018 Jaguar E pace 2018
NOBODY expects the Canley Inquisition!

Post subject: Okay…...
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 4:45 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
I will run it on points for a few hundred miles before switching to Optronic, I'll need to do something to the rev counter as well, I don't think the early ones work with it.
The tachometer on the early 1850s has the feed to the ignition coil going through it (so if the tachometer fails the engine will stop and not restart).
Leave that wiring alone and add a new wire from the +12V (fusebox) to bypass the tachometer.

You will then be able to add electronic ignition and still have a working tachometer.

Ian.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:13 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Leave that wiring alone and add a new wire from the +12V (fusebox) to bypass the tachometer.

You will then be able to add electronic ignition and still have a working tachometer.
Thanks Ian, that's good to know, I was under the impression I had to rewire the tach.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:22 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

A dolly 1850 auto on bergs should do at least 90, and be pulling well at 70. As has been suggested, drop the choke...
Dolly's are also quite sensitive to exhaust condition. You may have some baffles clogging things up. The Sprint style sports exhaust can be used on an early 1850 without loo9king too wrong...:-)

I would think about a 20 quid Maplin kit for you existing delco ignition too.

Interesting comment about the tach from Ian. Mine is running an aldon ignitor in a Sprint dizzy for its TR7 lump but the tacho always just worked and its a K plater with the early style. I must have been lucky...

Jonners

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:49 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
A dolly 1850 auto on bergs should do at least 90, and be pulling well at 70. As has been suggested, drop the choke...
It wouldn't do 90, I'll try the choke again but....
Quote:
Dolly's are also quite sensitive to exhaust condition. You may have some baffles clogging things up. The Sprint style sports exhaust can be used on an early 1850 without loo9king too wrong...:-)
Hmmm the exhaust could be at best described as rusty, at worst it can be described as about to fall off! Its the one that came on the car so this could be the problem.

So, is it sports or standard?

Also, what's this Maplin kit that I've herd so much about?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:02 pm 
TDC Member

I have a feeling that the back box on there is for a 1500. :?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 6:11 pm 

James if it has the 1850HL exhaust, the tail pipe is the same as on the Dolly 1500/1500HL. The Corsa will be gone soon. The owner wants to get it MoTd as soon as possible.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - a project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint), NYE 751L (1972 Dolomite 1850 auto) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 7:54 pm 
This thread is another great Dolomite story from start to finish (not that they ever really finish). A very well done job all round!

I just wanted to add:
Quote:
Points were a tiny bit tight so I have reset them.
Altering the contact breaker gap will also change the timing, so it may be worth checking the timing again. Also a smear of grease on the distributor cam will slow down the wear of the breaker's plastic heel.

A 15 mile blast up the motorway will probably help make it run better too.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:19 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Altering the contact breaker gap will also change the timing, so it may be worth checking the timing again. Also a smear of grease on the distributor cam will slow down the wear of the breaker's plastic heel.
Ooooh great advice, I'll give it a blast tomorrow and check the timing.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:10 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
This thread is another great Dolomite story from start to finish (not that they ever really finish). A very well done job all round!
Sorry Karlos, I didn't thank you for your comment!

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:52 pm 
Quote:
Also, what's this Maplin kit that I've herd so much about?
I think that Jon is talking about the Velleman kit. I can't find it on the Maplin site but they are freely available..

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:09 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
I think that Jon is talking about the Velleman kit. I can't find it on the Maplin site but they are freely available..
Thanks, found it. For £20 complete with a box it's worth a punt. Maplin don't stock them any more apparently, so I'll have to order online.

One thing I noticed is when the lights, wipers, heated rear window are all on as they have been today because it's been raining I barely get 12 volts and the indicator doesn't flash.

I think it's time for a more powerful alternator and as the rad will have to be removed to get the alternator off I may as well go ahead and fit an electric fan at the same time. Jeroen, don't you always fit an electric fan, any recommendations?

Did a quick search through the forum and came across this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12547

I was looking at an A127 unit from a Rover 100 as it should be a direct fit.

Is there anything I need to do the the wiring if I fit a higher powered unit or will the existing loom take it?

Post subject: Aye,....
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:11 am 
TDC Member

If your car still has its original 15ACR alternator you will have to adapt the plug wiring to fit an A127 (or fit a new plug).

I use Revotec slimline cooling fans.
There is room on the inlet manifold for a second temperature sensor.

If you are going to be using the heated back window, I would be changing the switch for a better designed one
and I would fit a relay as well.

In fact I fit relays for most things, horn, headlamps, brake lights, electric cooling fan, etc.

Ian.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:15 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

I did see something the other week saying Kenlowe have stopped making fans for cars. I prefer the design of the Revotech ones to be fair and they have an in-hose type sender which means it's won't leak like the Kenlowe bulb type. I did contact Revotec about custom brackets for a fan on a Sprint but they didn't get back to me which is disappointing. I'd prefer to use a bracket instead of tie wraps through the fins. Brackets wouldn't be hugely difficult to make but I figured that other Dolomite owners might like some.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 811 posts ]  Go to page Previous 115 16 17 18 1955 Next