The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 811 posts ]  Go to page Previous 135 36 37 38 3955 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:02 pm 
TDC Member

RUK has been named "Binny" by Andie, after the baby found by the bins in the TV series "Plebs"
She's been for a couple of runs out over the last couple of weeks (up to Skipton yesterday)
I think tightening the hose clips on the T-piece in the bottom hose and on the heater hose connections has sorted the water loss. (Fingers crossed)

Really I don't have any major plans except to put as many test miles on her as possible between now an the Club Triumph RBRR.
That includes a run on the CT "Border Raiders" (an excellent event if you get the chance!)

I think the (very) minor oil leak is from somewhere around the engine oil filter.

If I get the chance I'll tidy up a few of the minor bodywork items, I may even get around to spraying the replacement doors (then again I might not!)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:58 pm 
TDC Member

Sorry I haven't been very good at replying Sam. It's been manic around here!
Quote:
I think tightening the hose clips on the T-piece in the bottom hose and on the heater hose connections has sorted the water loss. (Fingers crossed)
Good, I thought that may be the case. The old stat housing did have a hairline crack in it.
Quote:
I think the (very) minor oil leak is from somewhere around the engine oil filter.
That might be the seals at the bolt head end of the oil filter housing, I think Robsport do them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:08 pm 
TDC Member

Not much happening on the mechanicing front right now, I'm short of time due to work etc. and what little time I do get is being spent on urgent Spitfire work.
However today we took Binny to the seaside and back - about 200 miles all told. She ran without any issues.

I've picked up a couple of niggley rattles that I'm going to look into though. One is clearly the glass in the speedo - so I've ordered new rubbers for the speedo and rev counter. There's another rattle from somewhere around the steering column and a third from the NSF door.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:25 pm 
TDC Member

Check out the bulkhead bush for the steering column rattle, available from the club (I think) in a suitable Poly upgrade.
I have a very similar photo' of my white Dolly but several hundred miles north at St. Cyrus!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:39 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Check out the bulkhead bush for the steering column rattle, available from the club (I think) in a suitable Poly upgrade.
I have a very similar photo' of my white Dolly but several hundred miles north at St. Cyrus!
A smidgin over 300 miles according to google maps! :-)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:04 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
If you read the thread you'll know that I replaced it.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32242&start=105#p300993

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:30 pm 
TDC Member

So as you may have noticed from the thread over in the "Dolomite-related" section entitled "Quality 1850 head gasket set" I've become paranoid that Binny has head gasket failure.
Symptoms are water loss and steaming from the exhaust pipe.
I've been in two minds as to whether this was my paranoia or a genuine issue.
This afternoon when she came out of the garage there was no sign of the exhaust steam, so I started to think it was just me.
BUT I carried out a chemical test and it looks like I was right.

The test fluid turns from blue...

to yellow....

Which according to the kit instructions means there are combustion gases in the coolant.
:cry:

On the up side, James was right.... he did give me a spare head gasket with the car, so at least I can crack on with the job (once I've refitted the rebuilt diff to the Spitfire!)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:59 pm 
TDC Member

Bollocks!

She hasn't been back on the road for a year yet after being laid up for 20 years!

Oh well good thing I have you that gasket set! It is a payen one so should be fine.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:23 pm 
TDC Member

I've been quite distracted by work, clearing out of my old garage and a few other things (like making sure the Spitfire was back on the road)
Anyway, this evening I finally got to make start on the Dolomite.
Bonnet off, battery disconnected, coolant drained, hoses removed/moved, inlet manifold detached and moved aside.
Next steps, exhaust manifold off, plugs out, set timing marks, then remove cam gear. Then it'll be on to the real "fun"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:57 pm 
TDC Member

You should just be able to remove unbolt the exhaust at the manifold Sam. That should save some faffing with the joints.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:58 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
You should just be able to remove unbolt the exhaust at the manifold Sam. That should save some faffing with the joints.
Cool, thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 9:47 pm 
TDC Member

All the straight forward bits are done... now comes the nightmare of extracting the head studs. Bolts were no problem... nuts fine. Studs I think will be entirely another matter!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:56 am 
TDC Member

Good luck, I have everything crossed for you.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:48 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Good luck, I have everything crossed for you.
Thanks, I have a strange premonition that luck is going to be a big factor!
(Or I'll end up using the welder and need to buy new studs and nuts)

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:24 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
All the straight forward bits are done... now comes the nightmare of extracting the head studs. Bolts were no problem... nuts fine. Studs I think will be entirely another matter!
Try talking to the car, be nice until you get stuck, then threaten to take to the butcher mechanic, leave alone for ten minutes then see if the pep talk has worked :wink:

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 811 posts ]  Go to page Previous 135 36 37 38 3955 Next