It's the race to be ready for TDCIR on Sunday!
So I have seen numerous posts about people who have fitted different seats to their dolly. So as you know I have a set of brownish beige MGF seats which I am going to fit.
I'm funny about my driving position, the original seats sat central to the steering wheel and a few people who have fitted modern seats seem to have used the inner mounting points and then drilled new outer mountng points or made a bracket to fit to the originals. From what I can fathom this makes the seat sit off centre, this would annoy me so I wanted to avoid that.
I also wanted to avoid welding so people could easily copy me, MGF seats are readily available quite cheap online and are a great fit in my opinion.
So, on with it. Here we have your standard MGF seat, I believe its the "MK2" seat with the slightly raised rear centre section.
The runners are covered with various mounting brackets specific to the MGF
So the first job is to remove all of them...
You will also need to grind back the runner stops as well to allow the bolts to pass and the seat to move backwards and forwards.
If you at these in the car they'd be too low, by about an inch and a half, well for me anyway, others may be different.
To mount them I used 1.5" x 1.5" x 3/16" Aluminium Angle. This give me the height I need plus allows me to angle the front to support my legs.
First thing to do is to mount them to the existing mounting holes in the floorpan.
I found that the optimum width was to set the inner faces to 380mm wide. Everyone's cars will be different so I would make your own measurements to achieve this.
Another length of angle the same size as the one you mounted to the floor is bolted to the runners on the seat, again, I found that seat runner dimensions vary so measure first before drilling.
Drill holes, bolts through.
You have to fit the bolts this way as they wont fit through the runners, I don't like it but the should be fine as I have used nylocs.
Pop the seats in the car for a test fit and to finalise the angle.
Pull them out, disassemble everything, drill holes to mount the two angle sections together. I settled on a 12mm rise which was comfortable for me, sorry I can;t be bothered to go and calculate the angle!
Put them back in the car, loosely bolt everything together and test it fits...
Bolt everything up nice and tight and hey presto we have MGF seats in the RUK, colour almost matches as well!
Extremely comfortable and they sit central to the steering wheel, excuse the mess but rear legroom isn't really affected either. I will add another nut and bolt clamping the angled sections at the recommendation of Bruce to counter any torsional forces but they don't move at all.
Right, part 2 onto the rest of the wiring!