The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 811 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 2155 Next
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:36 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Where did you find a made up one? I can only find the kits.
Sorry, no not made up, just the kit online.
Quote:
Second, before you go Halogen stick a multimeter on the headlamp terminals*. I'll bet you're not getting the full complement of electrons at the lamps. My 1500 for example was losing worst case 2.1V and best case 1.4V. Even the best of them was 10% down on power, and that was on a car in daily use and with all connections & terminals well looked after. Just like you are doing with your points/ignition, get the system that is there working right before thinking about upgrades.
Thanks Julian, yes when I was trying to diagnose the headlamp issues I noticed the NS was down 2 volts or so. I'll look into it.
Quote:
Bang for buck it has to be Velleman kit (partly because I am>45). I had one on my (no longer owned) 1850HL. They really do make a difference to using points with condenser.
Thanks Karlos, I think for £20 it's worth having a go to see what effect it has.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:04 am 
TDC Member

For £40 :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-TR7-A ... 2178882551

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:07 am 
TDC Member

Cool!

Isn't that the same as the powerspark system that simonbbc sells?

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:11 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

I thought Accuspark did a all electronic distributor for around £70 for a 1850.

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:17 am 
TDC Member

Not as far as I can see on their website.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:35 am 

My apologies, looking at TR7's and 1300/1500's.

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:00 pm 
TDC Member

TR7's and 1850's share the same distributor, so what fits one will fit the other. So you can fit a Accuspark module for a TR7 if so desired, I have a Accuspark unit fitted to my 1850.
I previously had a Velleman kit fitted which worked well, but the Accuspark means no more points to check.

One point though is that I had to replace my HT leads for modern items when I installed the Velleman kit, as the old style HT leads could not cope with the higher output from the new ignition (I had a large spark tracking across the coil).

Attachments:
1850 Distibutor with Accuspark .JPG
1850 Distibutor with Accuspark .JPG [ 154.74 KiB | Viewed 1375 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:56 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
TR7's and 1850's share the same distributor, so what fits one will fit the other. So you can fit a Accuspark module for a TR7 if so desired, I have a Accuspark unit fitted to my 1850.
I previously had a Velleman kit fitted which worked well, but the Accuspark means no more points to check.
I know, I'm just deliberating over weather to get the Lumenition system which is actually quite a good price from Rimmers at the moment in the sale, or to get the Accuspark system. :)

It's good to see yours installed, looks really good.

Drove to my parents today and I am definitely down on power, it's lacking 'punch', will only rev to 4000 rpm and feels a bit asthmatic.

My view is that on points and with the mechanical fan it should be running properly and feel punchy so before I go fitting any sort of electronic ignition I want to sort this problem out otherwise I'll just risk masking an issue.

So plan of action is to do a leakdown test to get an idea of the condition of the rings and valve seats, I don't want to have to unnecessarily pull the head. Jeroen, it would be good to have your input here.

The other thing to do is to take on Jonners' advice and tackle the exhaust, it's getting noisier so is probably due to fall off anyway! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:08 pm 
TDC Member

You're sure it's not still too weak, plus are you getting full throttle opening when the pedal hits the carpet?

1965 Triumph 2000 black and rust
1967 BSA B40wd green
2018 Jaguar E pace 2018
NOBODY expects the Canley Inquisition!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:23 pm 
TDC Member

I'm pretty sure I'm getting full throttle Bruce, everything looks to be adjusted properly and it does kickdown correctly as well.

Plugs look good and I'm confident the mixtures correct, nothing happens now when I pull the choke.

I poked the inspection camera down number one bore, there's some scoring but that just could look worse than it actually is.

It's a bad pic so you really can't tell anything from it.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:29 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Drove to my parents today and I am definitely down on power, it's lacking 'punch', will only rev to 4000 rpm and feels a bit asthmatic.
After your earlier comments about setting your timing to 16 Deg BTDC I tried it on my 1850 (which to be fair I am still running in, as it only has 600 miles since a complete engine rebuild), it had a noticeable drop in performance and I have now reverted back to 11 Deg (using normal unleaded). I understand the theory for retarding the ignition is due to the lower octane rating of normal unleaded, but aren't you using super unleaded which is closer to the original 4 star?

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:37 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
After your earlier comments about setting your timing to 16 Deg BTDC I tried it on my 1850 (which to be fair I am still running in, as it only has 600 miles since a complete engine rebuild), it had a noticeable drop in performance and I have now reverted back to 11 Deg (using normal unleaded). I understand the theory for retarding the ignition is due to the lower octane rating of normal unleaded, but aren't you using super unleaded which is closer to the original 4 star?
Hmmm, maybe I have misread the original post that I got this from, I'll reset it to 11.

It was these two posts, actually I was following Ian's advice from it, don't take this as me blaming you Ian!! :)

viewtopic.php?t=19154
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17268

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:48 pm 
TDC Member

Another thought, as the car was laid up for a long time did you check the vacuum advance isn't seized?

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 6:54 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Another thought, as the car was laid up for a long time did you check the vacuum advance isn't seized?
Funny you should say that, I stripped and rebuilt the dizzy when I was doing the carbs and the baseplate was seized but the piston did move in the vacuum advance unit, it's not now (seized!) but I was wondering if the vacuum advance unit could have failed or perished so I have just ordered another from Robsport to be sure.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:36 am 
TDC Member

Righto everything is set to factory standard, timing at 11 degs etc...

Incidentally when I checked the timing it had moved, was at about 19-20! Have reset it and double checked, I also checked the centrifugal and vacuum advances work and they both seem fine.

Waiting for the leakdown tester to arrive and I'll let the motor cool down and run a test later on.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 811 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 2155 Next