The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 811 posts ]  Go to page Previous 132 33 34 35 3655 Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:45 pm 
RUK? Absolutely!😆

(just kidding)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:26 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

If you fit the bottle so the flange is under the bracket and bolts up through it won't that give you enough bonnet clearance?

Jonners

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:30 pm 
Quote:
If you fit the bottle so the flange is under the bracket and bolts up through it won't that give you enough bonnet clearance?

Jonners
The cap is the highest point and the top of the bottle is angled upward towards the cap which opposes the curve of the bonnet that falls away to where the bottle cap is raised.
So maybe as well as Jonners suggestion, rotate the bottle horizontally 90 or 180 deg, so the cap is more inboard, the cap is the highest point. You would need a longer pipe from the thermostat cover to the top of the bottle which would have to coil around the bottle so would be less aesthetically pleasing though - but less intrusive that cutting the bonnet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:31 pm 
TDC Member

Cheers chaps good points, I have adjusted it slightly so it doesn't hit the bonnet now, clearance is tight though.
Quote:
you have done a neat job fitting the seats,are you going to change the back seat as well
Na, I like the rear seat I'll just leave it. I just couldn't get on with the fronts, plus they wern't a great fit for the car seat.

So I have done the big things on the to do list, just some little bits to wrap up now.

Recess bonnet, support header tank properly. - Done
Remove exhaust and refit fixing manifold blow - Done
Carbs - float plug and tune - Tune Tomorrow
Set fan cut in. - Done
Change oil - Tomorrow
Tracking - Possibly Saturday
Finish rear brake light - Done
Fit new mirrors - Tomorrow
Level Headlamps - Tomorrow
Give it a run, hopefully Saturday. - Hopefully tomorrow!

Phew, nearly there!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:24 pm 
TDC Member

Almost ready for TDCIR!

Everything is back on and running, I had to reset the dizzy and set the static timing but it runs and sounds very sweet.

It needs some fie tuning, I have to pull the choke when I put my foot down but that's just down to the mixture which I have been progressively adjusting.

Will give it a run down to Trackerjacks tomorrow morning and see how she goes and a clean in the afternoon ready for Sunday!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:43 pm 
TDC Member

Just been to TJ's and back down the A3, she cruised at an indicated 80 faultlessly. I think the mixture could be a little richer, I'll pull the plugs and check this afternoon.

I have to admit that I am not convinced about the seats, they are a tad hard for me. I think that the old seats absorbed a lot of vibrations through the shell and these don't because they are harder. They fit nicely though, very comfortable but unless you are on a smooth road it can be a bit like you are sitting on one of those massage chairs! I may swap them for the old ones for tomorrow.

The only thing left is to clean her ready for tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:54 pm 
Quote:
I think the mixture could be a little richer, I'll pull the plugs and check this afternoon
I think you will find that the standard needles are a bit lean. I've just bought some slightly richer ones for mine, not had time to fit them yet.

Be careful Dolly autos are addictive, especially 1850s !!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:01 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
I think the mixture could be a little richer, I'll pull the plugs and check this afternoon
I think you will find that the standard needles are a bit lean. I've just bought some slightly richer ones for mine, not had time to fit them yet.

Be careful Dolly autos are addictive, especially 1850s !!!
Completely agree!

Mine are close to the stops just to get them rich enough, what needles did you get?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:26 am 
TDC Member

Good to see everyone at TDCIR yesterday!

RUK did 257 miles in total and didn't miss a beat. In fact she just got better and better as the day went on, the long run obviously did her a world of good.

The only things I did was to retard the timing to about 14 degrees as she was pinking in the morning, fit some club Magnecor leads and open up the plug gap to 35 thou as recommended by Steve and Jonners.

She then did a 92 mile non stop run back home in the afternoon down the M40, A404 and M4 cruising at between 75 and 80 in a pretty gusty and at times rather strong headwind on the M40. Got on the A404 and really opened her up to stretch her legs and she was very happy (my ears weren't!). Checked the fluids this morning and they are all fine, the water pump has the same weep that it always had so I'll just keep an eye on that.

I just have a couple of relays to fit inside, heated window and a lights warning relay (because I keep leaving the lights on!!), some Waxoyl and the Trackerjack brakes then I can confidently say that we are done!

Oh and I did paint the rocker cover Jonners! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:28 pm 

14 BTDC seems a bit too much to me. I think I run mine at about 11 BTDC, but its a TR7 engine with a Sprint dizzie so cant say the curve
is really right.

Nice job on the rocker cover too.

Jonners

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:29 pm 
TDC Member

Yes factory is 11, but I'm wondering if it had some carbon build up, I think that can cause pinking as well can't it?

I have only used V Power in it so a long blast down the M40 could have cleared it out and burnt some rubbish off.

Hmmm, will reset to 11 and see what happens.
Quote:
Nice job on the rocker cover too.
Thanks Jonners, it's Hammerite! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:04 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

Carbon build up can cause pre-ignition as it can glow and ignite fuel before it's supposed to.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:12 pm 
Quote:
Carbon build up can cause pre-ignition as it can glow and ignite fuel before it's supposed to.
Carbon build up and over advanced ignition timing are both contributors to pinking. Carbs can't be tuned until the ignition timing is spot on. I always find that what initially seems like a fueling issue is ignition related, everytime.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:32 pm 
TDC Member

I have reset the timing back to 11 and given it a drive, pinking have definitely stopped now and it feels a lot more peppy so the long run did it a lot of good, in fact its a real pleasure to drive.

Have also adjusted the exhaust which has moved as it settled, it's moved slightly again and needs pushing forward as its touching the boot floor slightly I'll do that next weekend as its a bit hot and it just started raining!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:42 pm 
TDC Member

It has been ages since I did an update and quite a lot has been going on.

RUK has been running pretty much every day doing the school run, add into that two trips up and down the M40 and it has been a busy car!

The trackerjack brakes are now fitted and in the auto they definately work better. The biggest thing I have noticed is that it now takes less effort to stop the car when running on choke in the traffic.

The other thing is that it will cruise all day at an indicated 80mph now and after running up and down the M40 a couple of times the engine is running really sweet.

I have removed the MGF seats as I do prefer the look of the originals and they are actually much more comfortable.

If you have seen the car at the NEC and Stoneleigh recently you will know that I have found and fitted some door pockets and speaker pods, these actually reinforce the bottom of the door cards, mine were quite wavy and coming away from the door and fit perfectly, with some flocking they will look like they were meant for the car.

You also have the benefit of not only having a nice door pocket but somewhere to mount some 13cm speakers. They don't interfere at all with your feet placement, I have been driving around with them in for a few weeks now and I dont even knock them when getting in and out for the car.

RUK also made an appearance at both the NEC and Stoneleigh on the club stands doing a great job of transporting the regalia around as well.

In terms of its health RUK has developed a few oil leaks. The rear crankshaft oil seal is leaking profusely, the front oil seal leaks, and there is a bad oil leak from the water pump, uses no water at all though. After a long run of about 120 miles I am having to put in quite a bit of oil.

The rear axle pinion seal also has a bad oil leak and the rear wheel bearings need replacing and there is quite a bit pf play in there steering.

I also need to go over the auto box and drop the sump to replace the pump strainer and check the brake band tensions as on the way back from the NEC there was some difficulty changing from 2nd to 3rd.

So I may as well drop the subframe and pull the engine and box out plus the rear axle, repair the oil leaks and replace the bushes and ball joints at the same time.

Not wanting to start and argument but I am not putting in polybushes, I drive this car every day and do long distances as well and polys will ruin it.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 811 posts ]  Go to page Previous 132 33 34 35 3655 Next