62 Mile report!
Both oil and water levels have remained static and both the engine and gearbox are starting to loosen up nicely.
Unfortunately something pinged up from the back of a truck I was following and has dinged the upper front valence quite badly.
Whatever it was has scratched the bonnet as well so I'll have to pull this out and touch in the bonnet damage.
I am pleased it didn't hit the screen.
Back on track, I pulled the plugs to check the mixture and they all look good.
One of minor problems that I noticed was the level of play in the accelerator pedal and the lack of travel. I had an investigate and found that the throttle cable wasnt flush to the bulkhead and the play in the linkage was causing problems.
The problem with the cable was caused by the end being too long, this was cut down and problem solved that end!
I removed the linkage, stripped it and installed two new slightly larger clevis pins, refitted, set the cable properly and I new get full throttle. More importantly the pedal feeel is so much more positive now, it has transformed the car! The pedal bush could be replaced but I think it's fine for now.
The other problem I had was the rubber carb gaskets were starting to fail. The carbs are supposed to be bolted to springs to absorb vibrations, the trouble is that these springs tend to fail and the rubber gaskets then let in air. They arent really necessary any more, like fitting solid mounts to a Sprint I have removed them and made the correct thickness gasket and to replace them. The car runs noticeably better now, I checked the balance, mixture and timing again, no change.