The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1422 Next
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:47 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

And the sun is shining :suntan: Like the rest of the car :mrgreen:

Tony.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:24 pm 
TDC Member

Headlamp flash is now working!

Still no engine, but I have other things to do. I cleaned the interior thoroughly, it no longer smells stale and mouldy! It's actually rather pleasant! :lol:

The window demister rail was a bit rusty so I stripped and painted that in satin.

Cleaned the steering column bellows and reattached them properly!

Carpets need a clean still but that will happen during the pre-sale valet!

I also removed the bonnet and painted the underside.

As well as the rocker/cam cover

Number plates have arrived, they are the same as I bought for Binny (RUK) and they are superb!

I removed the gauges and cleaned the dash panels, refitted them with new rubber seals and they now look great!

We had some rain last night and I noticed some drips on the inside of the dash. It seems that the windscreen seal has had it so I have ordered a replacement from Chris Witor and will fit that with a new trim strip at the weekend.

I wont fit any more of the dash just in case I decide to remove it to do the windscreen, which I might just to give myself some room.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:51 pm 
TDC Member

Looking great James, those number plates really are the dogs-ganglies (IMHO)

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:41 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Looking great James, those number plates really are the dogs-ganglies (IMHO)
Yes James who was your supplier?
Thanks

75 Sprint in Magenta called GunGaDiN GGD944N
2017 Jaguar XE R-sport

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:43 am 
TDC Member

These chaps Trevor, they are excellent. Super fast service as well.

http://www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk/p ... ent&part=5

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:21 am 
TDC Member

Thanks James I have added to my list of parts required.
Its a long list, getting longer :woohoo:

75 Sprint in Magenta called GunGaDiN GGD944N
2017 Jaguar XE R-sport

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:57 am 
TDC Member

We had a day of heavy rain here and I noticed a few drips around the windscreen inside the car as well as the telltale puddle in the footwell.

First job was to make sure that all the drain holes were clear with a big cable tie, that's all done but the screen seal has seen better days so I decided to just replace it.

Out with the old...

Cleaned up the screen and surround.

On with the new

All cleaned up and finished!

Next was to refurb the carbs and have them ready to fit to the engine. I am afraid I didnt take too many photos of this.

New jet

One down one to go!

Done!

I also cleaned up the inlet manifold and linkages as well as painting the oil filter bowl.

And fitted the new gearbox and lever loom that was delivered from Auto Sparks yesterday

I may be able to collect the block today and give that a good coat of paint. The sump and backplate are done but I'll post pictures of them next time! :wink:

Oh and before anyone asks, the block next to the gearbox is a Sprint one! 8)

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:56 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
No word on the engine yet but we do have a couple of weeks to go, if I have to I'll take it to the NEC and reassemble it there!

In the meantime I have cleaned and shot some colour onto the engine bay to touch up the areas that were rubbed through when I removed the Ziebart. I didnt mask the wires as I'll have to strip them back to repair an earth that is damaged and to wire in the halogen headlights properly.

The subframe has had the overspray cleaned off and I'll pull the subframe bolts one by one, clean them and replace the suspension turret nuts.

I have also thoroughly cleaned and refitted the bulkhead pad.

Stripped the repair wings and front valence back to bare metal and gave it a light coat of acid etch just to protect the metal. I'll try and get some filler on today, I'll need to remove the primer where I fill though.

All the trim is now clean, polished and ready to be refitted

I had a go at cutting and polishing the bootlid to see how the paint would react. It has come up quite well, not great, the photo hides some of the marks in the paint but it is old paint and has rubbed through in a couple of areas but I like the patina. If the whole car comes up the same way I'll be happy and it should look really good with polished trim and bumpers.

James

Just looking through your pictues,the first picture shows the inside of the engine bay,on the drivers side next to the bonnet mounting to the right theres a bracket that hangs down,whats it for,is it important incase its not refix in the exact place,

thanks Dave

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:15 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
James

Just looking through your pictues,the first picture shows the inside of the engine bay,on the drivers side next to the bonnet mounting to the right theres a bracket that hangs down,whats it for,is it important incase its not refix in the exact place,

thanks Dave
Thats the radiator bracket Dave

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:27 am 
TDC Member

The smallest simplest jobs on this damn car always seem to end up taking three, four times as long with problems to sort out along the way. It's as if the car doesn't want to be back on the road, yesterday I seriously considered stripping it down for parts and scrapping the rest.

I'll do an engine update later but I am trying to set the valve clearances, new cam new valves, springs etc... all in. Do you think I can get a feeler gauge between the cam and follower, no, because that would be simple.

So all the pallets are too big, every single one.

What do I do? Do I just order a set of the smallest pallets that I can get and start from there or is there a way of getting a baseline with no pallets in?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:43 am 

Hi James,
Back in the old day's i got a set of scrap pallet's and ground them down to the smallest size available. Then fitted those and used them as a base line, bit of a faff, but it saved a bit of money rather than buying new.

Tony.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:47 am 
TDC Member

Thanks Tony,

I have a set of scrap pallets, how do you do it? Just use a flat plate and grinding stone?

James

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:06 pm 
TDC Member

I had this problem with the Sprint engine I've recently rebuilt. If you have any gap, you have something to work with. If you have no gaps (I had non on mine as all the valve seats had been reground) you have to make a guess & fit smaller shims. I have spares so not too much of a problem.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:44 pm 

Quote:
Thanks Tony,

I have a set of scrap pallets, how do you do it? Just use a flat plate and grinding stone?

James
Hi James,
I started with a file dependent on size, and then finish off with a flat plate and wet and dry paper :D :D It always worked for me, plus keep them for the next one :wink: :wink:

Tony.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:00 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
I had this problem with the Sprint engine I've recently rebuilt. If you have any gap, you have something to work with. If you have no gaps (I had non on mine as all the valve seats had been reground) you have to make a guess & fit smaller shims. I have spares so not too much of a problem.
Thanks Mart, I'm glad I'm not the only one!

I got bored grinding them Tony so I phoned Simon at Robsport and he has kindly sent me a set of 8 really thin pallets to me 1st class! I know Alun has a load but at lest you wont have to rummage through them Alun! :)

The car and I have had a chat, we are now in mutual agreement that I am only trying to do good and it doesn't want to go to the Dolly scrapyard in the sky! :)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1422 Next