The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:39 pm 
Right then. Im pretty s##t at writing stuff like this so bare with me :)
I've had a few dolomites in the past. few of which are still around, but my latest one is here to stay. About a year ago i had a call from a man called tony who got my number from the good neighborhood scheme in dolly mixture. he had a sandglow 1500 for sale and because i was the closest person to mumbles on th list he rang me. i went up the next day to have a look and was greeted by this.

I was chuffed and bought it straight away for £250. it had no mot or tax so i set about sorting that. I had a prod round before sending it for an mot and found that the boot needed a good few patches all round the edge so had all that done plus all four jacking points. put it in for an mot and it failed on 1 brake line over the back axle and a steering rack gaitor. all sorted in an afternoon or two and then it was time for some happy motoring.

that didnt last too long though until it was crashed into outside my house in the middle of the night and the driver drove away. :evil:

i was thoughraly p155 off to say the least but all i could help thinking is that god he only hit the doors as they just bolt on and off. i put up with the damage for a good while with the intentions of a full respray. whilst building funds for said respray i crashed it. entirely my fault. going too fast on a wet roundabout thinking i was ken block. i hit a curb dead side on. buckled two of the wheels, smashed my hubcaps to bits, snapped my brake disk, snapped my brake drum, bent the subframe, bent the rack and bent the halfshaft. oh and pushed all the sill inwards and upwards so the door wouldnt open. very very p155 off with myself.
i replaced the subframe and rear axle with the ones of my dolomite 1300 that i had lying round. i then drove it round for a good while not at all happy with myself and let the car go downhill from there. stopped washing it and everything until would you adam and eve it it got crashed into agin. same side again. this time though the broke the car and had to abandon it and run due to blowing out a tyre and snapping the track rod end.
i since found out exactly who was doing it and why. turns out he only does it because he doesnt like old cars. i told the police who it was and they didnt even look into it due to lack of evidence. annoyed is not the word. I will leave it there for tonight and will post a bit more tomorrow :)
(dont worry the story gets better)

Last edited by richard4040 on Tue May 17, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: GUH 731W
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:23 pm 
Should I come to any conclusion with it being a micra and the fact that adam has a fond spot for them? :lol:

Post subject: Re: GUH 731W
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:25 pm 
If ya like :D

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:25 pm 
How dare you! I don't mind being accused of mindless violence towards Dolomites but accusing me of having a 'soft spot' for Micras! :evil:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 4:23 pm 
Some right nutters about aint there? :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:22 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quick, where's the good news? :cry:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:01 pm 
Quote:
Quick, where's the good news? :cry:
I'm guessing here, but is the good news that the Micra was OK and just needed some polish and a new n/s indicator lens? :shrug: :D

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 10:38 pm 
Good news tomorrow :D

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:17 pm 
Quote:
Good news tomorrow :D
Is it tomorrow yet?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 9:39 pm 

Oh no, still no good news! I hope that doesn't mean Micra Man has visited again. :wary:

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:08 pm 
ok this part is going to be pretty pic heavy :D
after it got hit for the second time i realy lost interest. i just drove the car around not realy caring. bad i know but thats how i felt. anyways then it all changed. my sister asked me to take me to her wedding it it. time to pull my finger out. i started taking all chrome trim and stuff off ready for a full respray. i ordered new window rubbers, new grilles, new door rubbers, new wing mirrors and so on. cost me a small fortune but i bought it all bit by bit until i had a big pile of stuff. i also bought a set of 1970s brm alloys from Martin B off this very forum :D
By richard4040
I was very happy with the wheels but what is silver in the picture is actually painted silver and i didnt like that so i sent them off to be acid dipped. they came back looking great allbeit a bit rough. so out came the elbow grease :D
By richard4040
By richard4040 Image
By richard4040
By richard4040
By richard4040
By richard4040
By richard4040
i spent a flipping long time doing these wheels but i think the end result is well worth it.
By richard4040
By richard4040
By richard4040

thats ll for now. more tomorrow. hope you like 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:20 pm 
Cracking job on those wheels, Rich! Really looking forward to the next episode on this one.

Meanwhile, fancy tidying up Sheila's steelies for me while she's off road??? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:41 pm 
TDC Member

Great job Richard.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:17 am 
TDC Events Officer

You've done a nice job on those Rich. ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:42 am 
what a great thread, thanks richard

stu