The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:05 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:48 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi All

I have a history with Triumphs - a mk1 saloon and currently own my second stag

Ive decided to save a 1971 Toledo from certain destruction when I saw it on Face book. I had only 4 photos to go on and now that I have actually got it back to the house it is somewhat worse for wear than the photos indicated - as I expected – but that’s OK – I only paid $500 for it and was expecting it to be at the least a little shabby.

I gave it a good clean yesterday and already it looks better.

Body wise the core shell looks to be OK although I haven’t looked at the sills to closely. The doors and the boot all have a bit of rust in the bottoms of them. Im hoping this is only the skins and that repairing then shouldn’t be too difficult. (once I have taught myself to weld)

The left hand front wing looks ok but the driver’s side wing is a bit of a mess – not sure if it is salvageable or not. Also the front upper valance is fairly frilly as well. For the front valance and the right front wing I think I’m going to need new panels or panels from a wrecked car. Or the other option may be to do merge two cars into one.
Ive yet to find any one who makes new panels - the usual suspects don't have them

I’ve yet to work out what state the motor is in. Fortunately the interior is in pretty good shape although it has ignition /steering column parts missing.

This weekend Im going to see what the underneath is like and see what state of the engine is in. I cant attempt to start it till I get some keys and the ignition sorted out but will be interesting to see what state the motor is in.

I know of other Toledo's in various states around the country so hopefully I will be able to get enough bits together to create one car!

Once I have a good picture of the state of the car I will decide if it is worth persevering with.

Ill keep you informed

cheers

Alastair Cox