The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:37 pm 
TDC Member

I'm not an expert, but for the Spitfire single rail box the mainshaft is different between those with/without overdrive.
So you can convert a non-overdrive gearbox to overdrive, but you have to rebuild the gearbox on an OD mainshaft, then source the adapter plate to mount an OD to the back of it instead of the tailshaft, then have an appropriate OD to bolt to it with the right output flange/speedo drive gear.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:33 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi All

Seems like these gearbox/Overdrives are just about unobtainable out here (NZ), if anyone on here has a spare gb/od tucked away in a shed that they dont need and would be happy to sell please let me know!
cheers
Alastair

2001 BMW 530i

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:55 am 

Hi Alastair sorry I don't come on here very often so I have only just seen this thread. NZ Toledos are quite different to the UK cars, most of ours were 1500 for a start and all used a 3 rail gearbox. You say you car is 1971? seems early for a Toledo and early Toledos were only 1300cc so are you sure yours is actually a 1500? A Mk3 Spitfire gearbox is not the gearbox you require as these don't have synchro on first gear. You really need a Mk4 Spitfire 3 rail box with J overdrive, but these could be very hard to find as they were only fitted for a short time before they went to the single rail box which has a fine spline and needs a different clutch. If the car is a 1300 it will have a 4.1:1 diff or if a 1500 it will be 3.89:1
If you want an overdrive box then the best option is to build one using your current 3 rail box and a J overdrive out of a 2500 saloon.
I used to work on Triumphs when Toledos were common and have built many overdrive boxes as conversions for Spitfires etc
I'm in Christchurch but would be happy to build a box for you or do any mechanical work you require
regards Terry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:36 pm 

Hi Terry

Great to hear from you!

I would be very interested in getting you to build an od box for me. I was just starting to think that getting one out of the UK was just going to be too expensive. Im very keen to get an OD box as its one of the features that I love about these cars. (triumphs)

Im not 100% sure that I have got a 1500! I was led to believe that all NZ Toledos were 1500 with the spitfire spec motor but I could be wrong?

Is there an easy way to tell if it is a 1500 or a 1300?

Im currently stripping a shell (too much rust to make it viable to restore especially in light of the fact that I have come across a rust free shell with out a gearbox or motor) and am going to use all the various part in another (rust free) shell which I am getting soon - make two cars in to one as it were.

Im really thinking about the gearbox at this early stage as I will need a new gearbox mount so was thinking about which one to get.

I just about have the car stripped and then will get the shell taken away and will get the 'new' shell down from Horopito

Any way Ill PM you with my details - maybe you can help me identify just what is is that I have - 1500 or 1300

cheers

Alastair

2001 BMW 530i