The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:28 am 
TDC Member

Post No.1

The start of a new project.
Last May I went to Alun's Sprint Mecca in Stourbridge and looked at a Sprint (in fact there were several but I was there to look at one in particular
and agreed to buy it.
Since it was not ready for transportation (blocked in by other cars) and I was in no hurry anyway, a September handover was agreed.....

This it about to leave Stourbridge in the West Midlands at 9am one morning and........
(In case anyone is wondering, the wheels are from an MGF and these fill the arches better than Sprint alloys!)

here it is some 12 hours later in its new home in Wick in the far north of Scotland.

It is a 1980 registered car but was built in 1979.
The plan is to repair it over the next year or two.
Yes, as the heading suggests, the intention is to go EFI.
I have a type 9 gearbox too. In fact I have gathered a fair lot of parts over the summer.

It was standing for a decade outside and has suffered water ingress causing a fair lot of damage.
Front floor pans, chassis rails and sills all need doing.
To be fair this is a car that the majority of you on here will say is beyond repair but this work doesn't phase me.

Some people organise things so that a thread such as this flows from start to finish.
This won't be the case here!
Whilst I will work methodically through the repairs, I will do two or three unrelated things at once
which I am afraid will make this thread rather disjoined I suspect.

Ian.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:50 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

There's some very neat EFI solutions available now, be interested to see how you choose to do it. I saw the Jenvey Weber style units at the NEC, very original looking on their display Aston Martin. Sure I've heard that Burlen are working on an SU version. I don't imagine it would be that hard to fit your injectors within an existing carb body with some modification. I know one our local group members is keen on EFI and has successfully injected Sprints and Stags, one of which he used a Ford system I think. Not sure what's on the Stag but he gets a lot of power out of it, well over 200bhp vs the piffling 145 odd they normally have.

1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
1993 Mazda Eunos Roadster JDM S-Special Type II
2015 BMW 118d Sport

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:05 pm 
TDC Member

Look forward to following this Ian.

I should have transported mine up too, would have been easier and safer - Dolomites are tiny against the artics on the motorway but I was lucky and got the AA to take me South of Carlise to Stornoway lol

TDC Membership No: 2017092

Reg No: RNK 957W

1980 (W) Triumph Dolomite Sprint, Auto, White, 52k miles - ownership by 2 family members since new.

Supplied by Lavender Hill Motors Ltd, Enfield on 30th September 1980

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:32 am 
TDC Member

Love to see how the EFI works out.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:23 am 
TDC Member

Looking forward to this resto, especially the EFI.

2007 Porsche Boxster S

Grammar:
The difference between knowing your sh#t and knowing you're sh#t.

Schedule: Pronounced "Shedule" not "Scedule"!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:29 pm 
TDC Member

A very interesting subject. Looking forward to the next installment.

Absence of a Dolly or Tolly at the moment.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:48 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
There's some very neat EFI solutions available now, be interested to see how you choose to do it. I saw the Jenvey Weber style units at the NEC, very original looking on their display Aston Martin. Sure I've heard that Burlen are working on an SU version. I don't imagine it would be that hard to fit your injectors within an existing carb body with some modification. I know one our local group members is keen on EFI and has successfully injected Sprints and Stags, one of which he used a Ford system I think. Not sure what's on the Stag but he gets a lot of power out of it, well over 200bhp vs the piffling 145 odd they normally have.
Thats Neil's stag he's using rover EFI mated to the stag engine

Dave

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:54 pm 
TDC Member

looking forward to how you go about fitting the EFI to the sprint,are you going throttle bodies,or a custom made inlet manifold,have you thought about what fuel pump to use yet

Dave

Post subject: Okay....
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:15 pm 
TDC Member

The EFI bit, I'll try and respond, but please do bear in mind I am some months away from this,
since I have the bodywork to contend with first......

I am using a Mangolesti ("Weber") inlet manifold.
My intention is to use throttle bodies.
I haven't decided which ECU to use yet, I am mulling over a couple.

The option of converted SU carbs I never considered, this method has been around in the USA
for some number of years now. It offers lower emissions but not a great deal else (because you are
restricted by the siamesed inlet manifold design).

For the fuel tank and pump, I have a mark 6 Fiesta ST150 unit. Walbro do a suitable pump for this application.
The tank is plastic and reasonably compact (and holds 45 litres). This saves having to employ a separate swirl pot,
plus the tank won't corrode and there is a weight saving too.
The only downside is that the spare wheel will probably have to be upright rather than flat in the boot
(but again I haven't got that far).

Here is a blog from the Club Triumph website, which is food for thought:
https://club.triumph.org.uk/cgi-bin/blo ... log=489327
I possibly saw this car at John O'Groats last October during the Round Britain Reliability Run.

Ian.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:55 pm 
TDC Member

Post No.2

Further to Dave's fuel pump question:
This is the Fiesta fuel tank with its integral fuel pump.
When I bought it there were several on eBay, the price I paid was £5 plus delivery to Argos (which I think was £7, so £12 all in).
I had to buy the pump separately, which was under £20 delivered.
It is about £90 for a new Walbro pump, but I will probably try the Ford one first, given that it is accessible and easy to replace if necessary.

Back to the work in progress:

In readiness for undertaking the required welding repairs I have been stripping out the interior.
Both front footwells are rotten, the result of water entering through a knackered windscreen seal.
The front parcel shelf is also knackered, but I will be able to reuse the crash pad and bar
and make a new shelf using the remains of the old as a pattern.

Try as I might, I could not get the front passenger's door to open so had to resort to removing the door trim panel
to try an access the door latch mechanism. Even after spraying Ferrosol (from Bilt Hamber, very good stuff) it wouldn't budge
so I was resigned to bursting the latch. Before doing so I placed a wanted ad on here for a replacement, to which Alun responded
by kindly sending a replacement.
Before bursting the latch I thought I should try one more time and, result, it opened :) , albeit only from the outside.
I am confident that the four door latch mechanisms can all be made to function properly, Plus Gas is a good friend!

The seats are pretty poor really and would need recovering before being used once more.
The carpets are all good though and could be reused.

My intention is to fit a black interior.
I have bought a secondhand door trims, a back seat and new front seats, Cobra bucket seats.
These came from Demon Tweaks via click and collect at Argos. When I went to collect them the woman who served me
(who I now know is the Store manageress, but that is a different story) looked rather alarmed at the huge box, however
the two seats weigh less than 10kg combined :) .
My intention is to use new carpet from Car Builder Supplies, this weighs very very little and is easy to shape
and also have Dynamat (lightweight) sound proofing.

This is the fascia and dash from a '74 Sprint. I prefer the earlier dash layout and am playing with the idea
of using early 1850 (2.5PI) small gauges along with a Sprint speedo and tachometer.
Since I prefer the tachometer on the left, I will swap the big gauges over I think.

Wrapped in polythene is a Ford T9 five speed gearbox.
I converted an 1850 to T9, it is a good conversion to do even though a Sprint 'box isn't bad in itself.

Lastly for this installment
With a crackerjack conversion to VW vented front discs and Ford calipers in mind, I have been looking at the brake master cylinder.
To reduce brake pedal travel with said conversion I am fitting a new (bigger bore (22.2mm)) master cylinder for an 80s Saab 900 (shown left in the photo).
Usefully its reservoir has an outlet for the clutch hydraulics. The outlets for the brake pipes are on the opposite side but that is no bother given
that I will be fitting new knifer pipes. The Saab BMC is a straight fit onto the Sprint servo, which I already knew from an article some years ago in a Club magazine.

On to cutting and welding next......

Ian.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:18 pm 
TDC Member

Post No. A

needs some serious work.

Jeroen

Post subject: Yes indeed....
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:12 pm 
TDC Member

Both sides Jeroen.

As I said in the opening post, most folk on here would consider this car beyond repair.
Work does not phase me.

Ian.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:52 am 
TDC Spares Officer

Beyond repair? I saw KDU in Alun's years and I don't think it's THAT bad! Perfectly savable especially with the panels that we now have available. I have the same 'Vehicle Watch' sticker on NWL!
Quote:
I am using a Mangolesti ("Weber") inlet manifold.
My intention is to use throttle bodies.
I haven't decided which ECU to use yet, I am mulling over a couple.
That sounds like a good plan, I use an emerald ECU with Jenvey throttle bodies on the K Midget. The Emerald setup is well proven over on the K Series conversions and I find it really easy to use, they are pricey though.

I like the fuel tank setup, unfortunately on the Midget I have to use a swirl pot and have the return in through the base of the filler neck as I have to use the original Midget fuel tank, this also means that I have to run two fuel pumps, one to feed the high pressure fuel system, the other to raise the fuel from the tank to the swirl pot.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:06 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

It was worse than it looked James, to the point I felt obliged to provide a pair of chassis legs with it, along with some other panels that I'd already decided were necessary!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:57 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

It was clearly left too long between polishing sessions!

Alfa Romeo 147 1.9 JTD 150 Ti Lusso , no longer smoking.
Various other transient runners for selling.