The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:49 pm 
So today I finally had chance to go for a drive in the Dolly. Covered 100 miles through the Cotswolds and the car was absolutely faultless. Drives brilliantly so very happy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:29 am 
So a few plans for the Dolly this week/weekend.

- Carry out full service (Oil, Filter, belt, Air filters, Plugs)
- Carry out full polish & wax to bring back the shine
- Replace the carb breather pipes (Ordering ones from Moss for a Midget 1500 as there the same + cheaper)
- Tidy the headlight wiring and hide the relays out of the way.
- underseal the rest of the floor pan etc.

That will probably be all until the summer as i need to spend some time & money on my MG midget replacing the clutch & getting it tidied up ready to be put up for sale!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:13 pm 
TDC Member

Hi.

As you are in Bristol I hope you will join the local triumph owners who meet up at the Civil Service Club in Filton Avenue on the first Thursday of each month from about 8.30pm. I think you will find that we are a friendly group but there is a shortage of Triumph Dolomite owners at the meetings but there is a wealth of knowledge in respect to classic triumphs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:47 pm 
So this Sunday covered another 50 miles in the Dolly. Loving every second of driving it.

Also the new battery earth leads arrived today so ill get some pictures of before & after i fit them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:40 pm 
Battery earth leads & carb breather pipes replaced tonight.

Just need to sort out the messy headlight wiring over the weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:16 am 
Wondering if someone can help me with wheel studs/nuts!

I have sources a set of Sprint wheels for a good price. So i plan to get them refurbished, Fit some period correct tyres & put them on my 1500HL.

However i am unsure what wheel nuts i need as there seems to be various sizes... Can anyone help with which ones i need?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:15 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

You will need 3/8 unf wheel nuts for a 1500HL, the 7/16 ones are for sprints after 1976 :)

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-UKC849SK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:29 pm 
Quote:
You will need 3/8 unf wheel nuts for a 1500HL, the 7/16 ones are for sprints after 1976 :)

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-UKC849SK
Thanks for the info!

Would these be okay?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-8-unf-5-8-Sl ... mwBanner=1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:35 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

The diameter of the shank and length of the shank are critical as they not only hold the wheel on, they locate it also. If the shank is too long, the wheel will be able to move co-axially to the hub; too short and it will stress the collar integral to the wheel. You need a shank 1/2" long and 5/8" diameter. Also the 'nut' part is 11/16"AF, 3/4" will be too big to allow a wheelbrace into the wheel.

I have a set of used 3/8" wheel nuts, albeit 8 are steel (ie rimmer's replicas) and 8 are original aluminium. Your's for £50 inc postage if interested...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:16 pm 
Quote:
The diameter of the shank and length of the shank are critical as they not only hold the wheel on, they locate it also. If the shank is too long, the wheel will be able to move co-axially to the hub; too short and it will stress the collar integral to the wheel. You need a shank 1/2" long and 5/8" diameter. Also the 'nut' part is 11/16"AF, 3/4" will be too big to allow a wheelbrace into the wheel.

I have a set of used 3/8" wheel nuts, albeit 8 are steel (ie rimmer's replicas) and 8 are original aluminium. Your's for £50 inc postage if interested...
I will take them if that's okay. I am just waiting to see when i can collect the Sprint wheels, Once i have them and checked there okay i will purchase the nuts if thats okay?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:55 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

No problem.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:07 pm 
Nice little run this Sunday, shame the weather was rubbish

Also got around to fitting the original front splitter back on. Going to start returning my sprint wheels this week hopefully.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:10 pm 
So I’m after some help with the Dolly. Ever since I’ve had it I’ve thought it looks extemely high on the front suspension. I couldn’t see anything wrong so thought it was how it was. However today after looking at several Dolly’s mine is deffinately sat high.

I purchased a set of standard front shocks & springs today from the spares show and fitted them this afternoon.

Guess what.... still the same. So my next thought is I need some adjustable dampers so I can set the height to however I like.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

I also picked up some Sprint grills today so got those fitted too. Perfect looking front end now.

Post subject: ReYes....
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:30 pm 
TDC Member

Something that may cause this is tightening the fixings
without the car sitting on its wheels.
The car needs to be rolled back and forth to allow the suspension to settle,
then the fixings can be tightened.
(Access is awkward.)
If you don’t do it this way the bushes will always be under strain
which shortens their life.

Ian

Post subject: Re: ReYes....
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:36 pm 
Quote:
Something that may cause this is tightening the fixings
without the car sitting on its wheels.
The car needs to be rolled back and forth to allow the suspension to settle,
then the fixings can be tightened.
(Access is awkward.)
If you don’t do it this way the bushes will always be under strain
which shortens their life.

Ian
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the info. Which exact bolts/bushes need to be loosened and retightened?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 58 Next