The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:34 pm 
TDC Spares Officer

If you frequent the Facebook page and the Cars for Sale section here then you'll know that I bought Davids '78 Sprint project from him.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32657

Most of you will know that I live in deepest darkest Hampshire and trying to go to Greeenock and back in a day was probably going to be ambitious without towing a trailer, however I had the help of our resident 'Sprint' saver, the lesser spotted Alun. Here pictured in his natural habitat, around a Sprint on a trailer! :lol:

And so it began on a very cold morning at 4am driving up the M3 to Stourbridge to collect Alun with an empty trailer!

I made it to Aluns for 6:30 and after dropping off a seat for Tony at Keele services we eventually made it to Greenock at about 2 in the afternoon.

David pulled the car out of the garage, the initial impressions were good, being tight for time we swiftly started loading up all the parts into the Land Rover and got the car onto the trailer.

The os doors had no windows in so we had to gaffer tape up the doors and by the time we had made the short journey to the other lock up and filled the car up with spares it was gone 5pm and dark so after a short stop at the local Tesco to fill up we set off back down south at about 6pm.

The good thing about leaving so late was that by the time we hit the M6 around Manchester it was empty. Now that's a sight you don't see every day!

I dropped Alun off at 12am and headed back down the M40 home. It was gone 3am by the time I pulled into the drive and I'll be honest I was in no mood to try and reverse the trailer in so I just drove it! That turned out to be a pain in the arse the next morning! :lol:

As you would expect the Discovery performed impeccably all day, felt rock solid with the loaded trailer attached and cruised effortlessly up and over Shap in the Lake District! It even got a compliment from Alun!

It took me all of Sunday to unload the car and Land Rover of spares eventually everything was sorted and stored away safely. The MG has come out of the garage for the time being as the Sprint has little or paint on it. The MG is painted and protected, it also has a hardtop on it so wont be affected by the weather.

So after 889 miles and over 16 hours of driving YGD is in its new home down south!

That is probably the furthest I have been to collect a car and I wont be doing it again any time soon! :lol:

I have some other jobs to do before I can start on it. Mechanically it is sorted, I need to mount and test fire the engine go through all of the spares etc... It is going to be my daily driver so I have already decided that I will put a glass fibre front end on it as the wings are only bolted on at the moment, I'd like to re-do some welding on it and put a new chassis rail on as the old one is damaged, get it painted and all of that the it just needs to go back together. Not a massive job once it is back from paint.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:02 pm 
TDC Member

Nice one James, I was very tempted by this when I saw it advertised but don't really have the space.

Epic journey to collect, well done.

Give me a shout if you need an extra pair of hands I am not that far from you.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:15 pm 
TDC Spares Officer

Have acquired an Omex ecu, am seriously considering fuel injection.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:20 pm 
TDC Oxfordshire Area Organiser

Nice article for D.M James. Nice story.

I thought you were 'cutting back' on the fleet at one point? or has that blown over now?!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:37 am 
TDC Member

Hi James, I haven't really been on much since selling YGD and my recent move to Australia. How are you progressing with the car?

Dingo Dave

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:17 am 
TDC Spares Officer

Progress has been hampered by DTR, cold weather and illness. It is sitting in the garage at the moment, I have done some bits which I have been saving up for an update. I am going to fit a club fibreglass front end, and whilst the engine is out I will replace the chassis leg as it's a bit crumpled. Apart from that I have been going through all the parts making sure I have everything. I have ordered a vinyl roof and D pillar covers.

Unfortunately at the moment it's kind of 3rd on the list in front of NWL. Need to finish DTR first, then I ERO needs doing then the MG. That will give me the space then so I can get YGD done. Once YGD is done I can get NWL back in the garage and finish that off. So I have a plan, which is why I am not taking any more projects on at the moment (which is a strain because I know of a really nice 3500 P6 Rover that I'd LOVE to save!! :lol: )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:22 pm 
TDC Spares Officer

I believe you are all overdue an update!

Last weekend I collected a club GRP front end from Alun and temporarily placed it onto the front of the car. As you would expect, there is a degree of fettling required, not a lot though.

I am really pleased with it to be honest, it is going to make the car a true all year round everyday vehicle for me which is exactly what I was looking for.

Steve, this is where I am going to need your help. As you have fitted one of these before can you give me a brief run thorough of the procedure, thanks!

I pulled the car out of the garage and had a good look underneath, it looks to be in great condition and Dave has done a great job. Whilst the engine is out it makes sense to replace both chassis legs as they look a bit beaten up and there is a small area on the NS inner wheelarch that I'd like to do properly. I have some special axle stands which allow mne plenty of space to work under the car, I'll show you those when I do ERO.

I'll drop the axle and subframe and mount the body in the rotisserie after I have done the chassis legs then I can give the underside a good coat of Bilt Hamber to protect it.

Once that is done and it is back on it's wheels I will respray it. No don;t worry, not with a rattle can! I'll do a proper job with some 2K in a booth! Then it is just a case of reassembly, engine back in, rewire, stereo, new seatbelts etc... I am going to pinch the MGF seats out of the MG as I have a set of MX5 tombstones which fit better to go in that. The MGF seats from the MG are also softer than the ones I gave to Steve, I think they may be later from an MGTF possibly.

I do need to do ERO first though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:50 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Great stuff! I do love reading your threads, credit to you for posting as many photos as you do!

Cheers
Keith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:24 am 
TDC Member

You just can't beat a resto thread, great to see it step by step.

TDC Membership No: 2017092

1980 (W) Triumph Dolomite Sprint, Auto, White, 52k miles - ownership by 2 family members since new.

Reg No: RNK 957W

Supplied by Jimmy Metcalfe at Lavender Hill Motors Ltd, Enfield on 30th September 1980