The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:53 pm 
TDC Member

With thanks to Wigglybum (I think), I went down last weekend and picked up a (in places) emerald green 1850 auto from deepest Suffolk that needs a polish, mats, flaps and a full tank. I'm not sure if my ability or wallet will be able to pull off getting this beast back on to the road but you don't know unless you try so I'm going to give it a go.

Not much is going to happen for a while but some pictures of current state to kick of the thread seemed like a good idea.

Ta-da!

Image1
Front valence seems not too bad.

Probably need to have a scrape around in case it's all just a cunning plastic padding front.

Nearside seems the same.

Inside looks to be intact.

Bonnet is in polo mint condition though.

Wing seems almost fine, except for a long gouge, drivers door not so good as not only is it holed below the water line, it's got a great big ding in it.

Every single door have extra ventilation features added at the bottom.

Rear wing has been caved in and creased.

Might pull out.

But the inside is not so good.

Cills, surprisingly, look good and original?

And the offside one too, excuse the poor photography, not easy getting the focus right on the floor.

From above the boot floor is a bit busy with the auxiliary drive train visible.

But from below appears intact.

That looks nasty.

As does this, that's a big old spider there.

As well as here, unlike the other places I'm not sure how to tackle it either, similar is happening on my Sprint.

Under the bonnet all looks in order, though someone has nicked the clutch master cylinder.

Fred and Wilma would wonder how to get moving, floor pan looks good.

Interior is quite rustic and any new owner could easily stamp their mark on it.

Backseat drivers have their own complement of instrumentation.

And there we are. Could probably do with putting together a shopping list of parts and panels that will be needed. I'm going to start at replacement seats, bonnet, door skins perhaps if not doors, all the rubber door seals (1/4 lights are also shot, that's going to be an issue) are fairly at the top of that list as far as the body goes. Mechanically it is difficult to say yet apart from all the usual hoses, lines and everything brakes. I checked the engine oil and it was fresh and clean so feeling brave I stuck on a battery, disconnected the HT king lead and gave it a whirl and if I'm being honest to my surprise the engine spun around cleanly.

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:19 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Whatever substances you are on Raf, can you please send some to me :)

It would help when I describe things.

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:30 pm 
TDC Member

Nothing medicinal, I was dropped repeatedly as a child!

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:00 pm 
I like the spider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:14 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
I like the spider
It's a beast! And a well travelled one too, might be a bit disorientated in it's new surroundings but let me know if you want me to post it to you as there are plenty of its relations around the place already.

Last edited by Galileo on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:42 pm 
TDC Member

Anyone know more about the odd travels of this Dolomite, TDC members like covcourier / David6214 seem to have been involved with it at some point? It seems to have travelled in its current state for quite some time.

Commision number is WF 18969 DLA, paint code 65 which is right for Emerald Green, trim is C11 (black), was hoping it might have been originally the funky grey interior, well kind of, would have been even more difficult to get replacements.

Found this old thread from years ago, pictures have been photobucketed but I managed to get hold of them and put them below for posterity. Upshot is that in the past 8 years very little has happened to the poor thing, other than the ventilation apertures have become a little wider and new ones have sprung up in the bonnet as that looked kind of fine. Seems it failed an MOT on a rusty chassis leg but I've not yet managed to jack it up and get under and have a proper look at it.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13339

November 2013 Tom rescued it from a scrapyard in Bristol
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26192&p=250681&hili ... rd#p250681

Attachments:
resized_Justynsstuff041.jpg
resized_Justynsstuff041.jpg [ 90.26 KiB | Viewed 2333 times ]
resized_Justynsstuff040.jpg
resized_Justynsstuff040.jpg [ 74 KiB | Viewed 2333 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:00 am 
TDC Member

It lived with me for a while although only as a guest.

I collected for David from ????? and delivered it to Bristol when he sold it. As soon as we pushed it into the garage of the old gent in Bristol, I kind of knew that it would never get restored by him however good his intentions were.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:22 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:

I collected for David from ????? and delivered it to Bristol when he sold it. As soon as we pushed it into the garage of the old gent in Bristol, I kind of knew that it would never get restored by him however good his intentions were.
Thanks for that, and even though he never managed to do any restoring (well anything at all it seems!) at least it does not seem to have deteriorated much in the intervening years so it's been stored well enough.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:12 pm 
TDC Member

As you can imagine, with the weather being what it is (surprisingly wintery in the winter) there has not been much done. I did though take a look under the bonnet in between downpours wondered why two spark plugs were missing. Found my answer to that quite quickly, looks like a thread problem but quite a way in:

Well that might explain the spare head in the boot, so head off and... actually, belay that order, I have a thought! Engine spun over to TDC, greased up rag poked into the spark plug hole, old spark plug with some grooves cut into it with a Dremel and I have an impromptu tap (doctor's appointment Thursday). In we go and that sorts out the thread surprisingly well, rag out, new spark plug in, we got clean engine oil, water, doubt very much it will start but let's spin it over to see what funny noises we can hear. Sounded fine you know, that's a lot more than I expected so let's have a look at the carbs ran across my mind only to see a large amount of lovely clean oil oozing from under the water pump... Next update will be heavily redacted to remove all of the swear words from attempting my first slant water pump overhaul.

That is all.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:33 pm 

Quote:
Anyone know more about the odd travels of this Dolomite, TDC members like covcourier / David6214 seem to have been involved with it at some point? It seems to have travelled in its current state for quite some time.

Commision number is WF 18969 DLA, paint code 65 which is right for Emerald Green, trim is C11 (black), was hoping it might have been originally the funky grey interior, well kind of, would have been even more difficult to get replacements.

Found this old thread from years ago, pictures have been photobucketed but I managed to get hold of them and put them below for posterity. Upshot is that in the past 8 years very little has happened to the poor thing, other than the ventilation apertures have become a little wider and new ones have sprung up in the bonnet as that looked kind of fine. Seems it failed an MOT on a rusty chassis leg but I've not yet managed to jack it up and get under and have a proper look at it.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13339

November 2013 Tom rescued it from a scrapyard in Bristol
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26192&p=250681&hili ... rd#p250681

Thought I recognised the car and that's a pic of it parked next to the Routemaster outside my workshop in FairOak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:34 pm 

Quote:

It was stored at my place I think that it was mine but I done a swap or deal with David and he ended up owning it but still stored at mine until you collected it.