The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 9 Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:39 pm 
last wkend connector for rear loom sorted, pin outs changed and after a bit of messing about its all nice n lovely n everything tail end working to spec.

more - blower in, wired, tubed up, connected to heater, working, even with a bit of sound absorbing stuff behind it.

dash in. not the most scientific solution, pipe grips for a bit of bending, drill, bolts. job (jod) done. :lol: should have taken pics really to show all tolo folk how they too can pimp their tolos with HL dashes, but quite honestly you really dont wana be getting into all that nonsense, its a major ball ache, my advice - dont bother. still, all working, oh

front light connectors changed, but there are still mods afoot for the indicator/sidelight bases, shortly no more bad earths there, EVER. some welding will be required some time soon to repair headlight bowl mounts, how surprising.

o/d wiring sorted. tunnel covered in soundproofing stick on stuff, and fitted [fookin stinky ploppy GRRRR job, think theres about 6 bolts holding that in, some of them are even biting!] o/d stick in, switch workin, o/d solenoid working so thats all sorted then.

so - to do list before back to paint man for touching up:

front lights back in
horn(s) on
service engine
fit washer bottle and bracket (oh, the pump is wired and works)
new track rod ends
temporary front seat in
secure seat belt fittings
see mr speedy to replace studs in zorst manifold as the existing one went ping for some reason
pimp replacement zorst manifold with silver high temp paint
swap zorst manifold
maybe fit oil press gauge if i can get a T piece in time.

drive round block for a basic test of everything, check lights all ok etc

anything else you can thnk of jod?

...then fook it off home so i can spend 10 zillion yrs trying to fit interior and make it look ok. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:18 am 
took me a while to find this again!

sorry about the lack of pics but more will follow soon.

so shes just about roadworthy again now, mechanics all fully serviced, just about everything required is working except window washers. this weekends jobs included new TRE's, water pump swapped out and zorst manifold that went 'ping' also replaced, carbs stripped and rebuilt, balanced (good bloke, jod), but new needles/jets/tuning required once new zorst has been made - have a feeling idle is currenlty too high to do an emissions test but i think its about as low as it can go to not cut out. hmmm we like cams.

moving from jodsport back to parents house this coming weekend under its own steam for some more fettling and trim bits to be installed, prior to MOT. bit scared to drive it really :oops:

tow truck will hopefully be on standby in case something goes horribly wrong en route, for your own amusement feel free to choose your fave from the following and insert noise of choice: [kaboom/clatter/crunch/boing/vrooooooom/neeee narrrr neee narrrr wheres your tax?/weeee/ouch/FCUKIN PIECE OF SH1T/yes its mine officer, im insured thanks and on way for an MOT]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:29 am 
TDC Member

It sounds like you are nearly there Kev!

Stay with the faith mate - can't wait to see Gloria finally hit the road.

2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE PHEV
2021 Dacia Duster 1.3 TCe
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2021 Honda Cross Tourer Highlander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:31 pm 
as long as she doesnt hit anything else on the road, that'll do me!! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:43 pm 
oh, a pic.

one for you DF, hope you like it (and mr georgiasprint :wink: ):

actually, quality of photo is shite. usually pics of things under right conditions make them look better than in 'real life', however we like to bring exceptions to the table.

they look far better in real life, the polished rim has come up as good as most machine polished alloy ive ever seen, using autosol and friction.

another one for the "waaa, how do i polish my wheels and make them all shiny" brigade. no offence intended. :roll:

time, graft, patience - its not difficult really :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:16 pm 
so gloria is now back in hinckley, journey went ok, everything working as it ought to apart from the excessive amount of fuel the carbs are trying to chuck into the head to see what burns. i thnk this will mainly/partly be down to the standard tolo pea shooter zorst smothering the thing. result - disappointing drive home maxing out at somewhere between 70-80mph.

handling was interesting, front end with full compliment of poly's and no ARB vs rear with probably original factory rubber bushes and spax (well, spax all round). front deals with bumps etc nicely, back sort of doesnt really know what its doing at all.

exhaust knocks and also seems to foul on the propshaft resulting in a very nice grinding noise when turning left with any intent.

i will get more pics soon, honest, things have just been too busy and ive had the sh1ts which hasnt aided my enthusiasm.

to-do list, in sort of planned order:

-go to "welding dave" for welding on front panel under headlights and under the "T"
-hopefully welding dave will also fit the rear bushes nice n cheap (because i cant be arsed, i just wana drive it now) and MOT
-get paint touched up (another £100-200 bill i wasnt banking on, how useful)
-sell motorbike to help cover the costs
-fit braided hoses and new discs, 7/16 studs
-fit rest of exterior trim
-get stainless zorst made (god knows why it needs to cross the underneath of the car)
-grind out stupid rivet things holding brackets onto civic seats, and hopefully get someone (welding dave or mr speedy) to assist with install, i.e. probably plating/strengthening floor as appropraite, drilling and bolts with big repair washers
-fit carpets, door cards, new steering wheel, stereo,
-go to somewhere that knows about carbs and sort out fuelling problem

-probably get bored and sell it for a stupid under-value price to some muppet who will never appreciate the effort thats gone into the car, and regret/forget this whole ridiculous project ever happened.

:roll:
:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:37 pm 
hi - just a quick update.

gloria is ready for mot.

following work completed:

door handles on
civic seats in
rear view mirror fitted
all rear poly bushes fitted
headlight panel welded/repaired (in primer)
front panel welded/repaired (in primer)

seats much more comfy and back end feels far more solid with new bushes, almost feels like a modern! :lol:

basic quick blast round industrial estate for a sort of shakedown, everything working as it ought to so I cant see any reason for failing apart from possibly emmissions or black number plates but he's sympathetic to the cause...

more to follow soon...

:wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:40 pm 
How does it go? :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:59 pm 
its certainly a lot more gutsy and stronger than the old motor, but its not running 100% right - mainly as its currently on a mish-mash zorst (1500 engine, 1300 manifold, tolo pea-shooter zorst).

bottom line - lets be honest, its an old 1500. its a very good old 1500 with all the necessary goodies stuck on to make it work 'almost' as good as it could, but it aint gona sit there burning rubber at the lights, more likely the clutch will explode if you tried that! sprint beater - HAHAHA, not a fookin chance, power band like an RD350 - errr, ive ridden one, and HAHAHA, no, more like a 250 wet dream at the moment.

...but it'll give a good 1850 a hard time and should do over a ton 'real speed', as opposed to indicated on a 30yr old mr smith's dial (funnily enough, mr smith's dial in gloria is actually really almost bang on accurate with gps measured speed due to diff etc, more fluke than calculated)

as it stands nothing changed to much under the bonnet from when she left jods apart from carbs tweaked a bit to stop her cutting out, so it splutters a bit and kangaroos when you floor it and your right foot needs sensitive control to stop this silly behavior.

ask me again in a couple of wks when the exhaust is sorted and we've had a chance to pay about with it, should be a bit nearer when she can breathe a bit better... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:04 pm 
i hope jods not wasting time on your car when he could be doing my engine!!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:06 pm 
LOL its not been near jods for a couple of mths

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:09 pm 
Phew :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:25 pm 
mot today.

fail.

emmissions and black & silver plates.

as i was amusingly reminded by a buddy today, i should have seen the plates coming, bit obvious in these PC days of jobsworthiness i spose. still, shortly to be rectified in time for my custom stainless zorst a week tomorrow... 8)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:27 pm 
Ahh thats nothing :D

£10 for the new plates and and just lean it right out :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:59 pm 
aye, it'll get a good blast up the road tomorrow to blow out the cobwebs, and also get warmed up properly for the retest after a bit of carb tweaking.

everything else working fine, she got a good check-over last weekend, i thought the tester may have turned a blind eye to the plates as he's meant to be 'friendly'. fair play, doing his job, cant argue really. :roll:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous 14 5 6 7 8 9 Next