The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:20 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 505 posts ]  Go to page Previous 130 31 32 33 34 Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:39 am 
TDC Member

Scout Scar seems a very appropriate place for 969's first photoshoot! It would be really nice to get a few cars lined up along that edge!

Ever increasing box of spares.
Larger garage needed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:53 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Mike, why change the pump that's on there? It's one of the three types available at the time. :wink:

Now go out and enjoy the car, you've earned that right. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:29 pm 
TDC Member

I thought that I'd take a break from the wedding to give you all an update on how 969 is coming along. The only issues so far have been a failing clutch slave cylinder (I should have fitted a new one at the outset) and the lower steering column support bush disintegrated (I should have fitted a new one in the first place). All in all the cars running like clockwork.
I've had the dash back out & I now have the doors hung correctly, opening & closing as a Dolomites doors should. As a result I also have a few new chips that I'll need to get repaired.

I do have the annoying issue of a resonating noise that comes in at 3200 RPM. I thought that it was the flywheel having been poorly balanced but there seems to be a good chance that it's the stainless steel exhaust system.

I finally got the carpets from Martrim. These have been re made using the origional central Hessian / Hardura (there are conflicting opinions what it is) section from the car and some new carpet matching the origional material & pile.
The footwell carpets were gained from a black early 1500TC carpet which just needed the edge trimming down to meet the profile of the tunnel & a brown early 1500TC carpet which was re covered with black carpet & also trimmed for the tunnel. These items came from Mick Dolphin.

I forgot to specify the anti wear patch on the tunnel carpet but other than that the carpets have turned out as close to origional as could be.

Oddly I've never said much about 969's interior or posted many pics so I'll post a few here.

The dash now has the radiomobile radio as fitted to the press cars.

No big issues from the engine which is running fine, temperature never getting above normal and usually just below. I have one noisy tappet which I suspect is as a result of snow grinding the pallets. We must have ground through the hardening on one pallet & it's worn thinner. I'll correct this when I re torque the head the week after next.

So the cars done 400 miles now; I'm going to get it up to 500 and then give it a general service, Oil & Filter etc. As above I'll re work the valve clearances and re torque the head at the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:40 pm 
Great news, thanks for the update.

I was going to ask how you were getting on with the rubber door seals to see if they had now compressed some more, but I see you say you have re-hung the doors so I gues they are okay now?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:49 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Alan, adjusting the hanging resolved the issues at the front although I managed to chip a wing edge while moving the drivers door about. There's not much adjustment on the rears but with a bit of shuffling on the hinges and putting another doorseal on the nearside door I'm now happy.

The only door problem now is the window frame on the drivers door which has a gap between the body & rubber. This was a NOS door (although it was reskinned). My guess is that it was bent out of place at some time so it's going to need to be bent back I'll get that done when I get the paint repaired and the number plate light "wire hole" relocated. Some of you may have noticed that it's in the wrong place.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:55 pm 

Fabulous stuff, I suspect that your snagging list will be far shorter than those typically generated at PDI back in the day, by the dealerships. :lol:

Did Sprints come with that anti-wear strip on the tunnel carpet this early? It wouldn't have been present on an 1850 of the same year, so I don't think that you need to be too concerned about that, even considering how period-accurate your rebuild has been. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:26 am 

I find your lack of under bonnet stickers disturbing

:lol:

she looks a gem Mike.

I've just wrestled getting a new radio in, yours looks the piece.

please keep the pics and stories coming.

stu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:36 am 
TDC Member

Hi Stu, I've figured out that anything that involves removal of the parcel shelf is best carried out with the dash carcass out. Removal of which is actually very easy.
In fact the origional metal & black crinkle finish radio pod screws within to the parcel shelf at the bottom and the blower vent at the top, & obviously the radio comes out backwards. So it's pretty much impossible to fit a radio using the dealer fit with the dash carcass in.

Now STOP PRESS.... Bad news; my noisy tappet was joined today by the car billowing grey smoke from the exhaust, enough to make it illegal. So either i've got a blown piston / rings or more likely one of my newly fitted inlet valve guides has come adrift :(

Won't really know until I carry out a compression test & take off the rocker cover & I'm to busy for that this week. Please join be in continuos utterance of the word ... bugger.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:25 pm 
Bugger! :evil:

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:19 pm 
TDC Member

Bugger :cry:

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 12:33 pm 

Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! Bugger! etc.

Continuous enough for you Mike? :( No trouble for a man of your talents though.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:20 pm 
TDC Member

Not at all, it's a hobby afterall; these things are sent to "entertain us" :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 2:04 pm 
TDC Member

Sorry to hear this Mike. Hope the cause is relatively simple to sort out but in the meantime...bugger.

Ever increasing box of spares.
Larger garage needed

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:54 pm 

Bugger.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 6:26 pm 

OH BUGGER

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 505 posts ]  Go to page Previous 130 31 32 33 34 Next