The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 514 Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:34 pm 
good work, certainly seen far worse.

i was gona offer you a front inner panel, but looks like you have the bits to sort it...

watching with interest... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:42 pm 
Thanks Dollyboy.

I need the eyebrows and headlamp mounts if you have any?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:04 pm 
Thanks Mike, very tempting. Does it still have the light panels and eybrows etc rot free. Where are you?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:55 pm 
Ok so this is the idea. oringinal top section, pattern lower. Nothing is fixed yet as I need to repair front edge of sills then get o/s wing on and ensure all gaps are correct. Also need to put light panels in and repair eyebrows as they are not as far gone as I thought.

The lower section of the panel needed some adjustment to get it to fit and had to remove the the panel below the headlights on both sides as they were too close together. they'll be re attached when everything is lined up. Bloody pattern parts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:33 pm 
yup, great work and I'm worried now that I should have ripped the entire front of my sprint and started from scratch the way you have done. Great pics and report, thanks heaps for putting it up, watching every step with interest.

stu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:36 pm 
Excellent progress and a sensible approach. Those pattern lower panels are OK after fettling (often considerable). Brings back memories of when I did a 74 Sprint 'oh so many year ago (about 20...).

You may find yout headlamp mount panels can easily be repaired, I used the inner half and made up new outer half.

Eybrow panels, same agin, the top section was good, just a bit down the sides.

Keep the photo's coming, i'm a bit of an armchair car restorer at the moment so it is great to see Dolly's being restored the world over - although I did brave the 'not as cold as it has been, today' and valeted the interiors of both daily drivers - amazing how much crud accumulates over the winter months :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:51 pm 
Quote:
You may find yout headlamp mount panels can easily be repaired, I used the inner half and made up new outer half.
Just what I had planned in the absence of OE stuff
Quote:
Eybrow panels, same agin, the top section was good, just a bit down the sides.
Again, will fabricate as close as possible to original. I found another wing with half the eyebrow and light panel where it had been sliced off so can drill the welds out and use these as templates.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:53 pm 
TDC Member

Looking a bit different to when it was on Mums driveway!
I will get a scan of that old V% to you eventually - honest!

Those odd wheel nuts were as I got it. A random selection of all sorts on that. I hadnt realised there was a proper locking one in ther too though :(

I thought the body was pretty good, but I cannot belive how good the sills and inner wings were underneath. Its a shame about that chassis leg. Exhaust, tyres and interior were always destined for the bin. Welldone!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:55 pm 
TDC Member

Oh.. and that bindweed on the front struts is original too!
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:26 pm 
Found the 'original' remains of a mouse/rat/rodent nest in the n/s fresh air vent tube as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:37 pm 
headlight panels - rimmers, 20% off this mth, i have a pair but may need them

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:42 pm 
I know but even at £70 after discount, I'd rather make my own and put that money somewhere else on the resto. £70 is just obscene for 2 small panels like that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:08 pm 
OK, Frenchie got some more attention today. Sorted out the front nearside rust.

First the sill. cut away the outer to reveal a really solid inner section, even the sill reinforcer still sports its red oxide paint, so a neat patch let in to restore strength. The lower part of the A post again had a lower section cut out and new metal let in. Covered it all in Kurust hence the black look

Then the wing reinforcer section. When I started cutting it away, the metal was so thin I ended up going all the way to the front. I drilled the spot welds out and took the baffle plate off, fabricated a nice new panel to fit flush and butt welded/plug welded it in. Welded the baffle plate back on. Now just got to fabricate and replace the thick square washer bit that ties the box section to the bar that passes through from the suspension turret. Scrape off all the old underseal and move to the offside. And that was Saturday over with.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:29 pm 
ah, so that's what it looks like under there :D

great job, welding looks schmick, thanks for putting up those pics, very useful.

stu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:26 pm 
OK, got to work on the off side front sill today. Rebuilt the sill reinforcer then the outer sill. Strength now returned.

As was

With the outer section removed, you can clearly see where the timworm has been happily munching away unseen

Edges cleaned up and new panel to suit welded in. Incidentally, I'm re-using genuine 1975 BL metal removed from the from of the car. Waste not...........

Outer sill reinstated before final cleanup. I was going to cheat here and cut and
graft on the front section of a NOS full outer sill, but just couldn't bring myself to do it.

Cleaned up and rust coated

Just the chassis leg to go now, then onto the rear of the car

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 202 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 514 Next