The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:31 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Oil filter relocation
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:39 pm 
Has anyone made up an adaptor plate before where the oil filter sits to allow the use of a remote oil filter. Unfortunately the position I am intending to put the engine in puts the oil filter straight through the steering column :?
Cheers Neil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:17 am 
Hi Neil,

I used to turn down the original filter body (so it's probably less than 2" total) it was just an oil way. Then use a Mocal remote oil kit - they did a 5/8" oil cooler kit that used the normal oil coolers oil transfer take off - and included a remote filter head in the feed to the oil cooler. Mocal TOP7b (I'm pretty sure the Dolly/TR7 TOP7 adaptor has 1/2" outlets and TOP7b Stag has 5/8" - I used 5/8").

Turn down the original oil filter housing just so you can bolt it onto the block - you'll notice the oil flows out of the pump through the original oil filter and then through the oil transfer adaptor up into the main oil gallery above the mains - do the same as you would with a head and clean up these areas for good oil flow.

Hans posted some pics a while back about the oil flow
http://sprint.smugmug.com/gallery/45234 ... 3518_Dtso4

As you say rocking the engine over slightly gives a bit more room for the manifold - modify the nearside inner wing to give a bit more room as well (you'll need it if you move the engine slightly back - rather than sitting straight onto the subframe the engine can be mounted the width of the engine mounts further back like some Ken's done).

Cheers,
Ben

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:09 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Yep I put a Sprint engine in a kit car and I too cut the bowl down and fitted a remote filter.
Offer me a few beer vouchers and its yours (remote head).

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:28 am 
Cheers For the reply and the offer Jon, what size threads are on the remote head?
Ben I have all ready modified the inner wing for the extra room, Have pushed the engine back 55mm, any more and it would require major modification to the chassis box that runs under the tunnel to clear the OD rather than the minor tweaks I have had to carry out. Cheers for the tips on the oil filter housing, hadn't thought of that, sounds nice and simple.
Cheers Neil

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:12 pm 
I use a system that does not use the transfer housing & is blanked off. I then drill through to the oil gallery & make an adaptor for the external filter. This system makes the oil route less complicated.

Ken.