The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:58 am 
TDC Member

Attachment:
File comment: leaving the circuit on the 2nd of 3 barrel rolls
IMG_7056.jpg
IMG_7056.jpg [ 129.76 KiB | Viewed 3309 times ]
This is what happens when a brake hose lets go at 110mph at the end of the fastest straight at Hampton Downs race circuit! Dual circuit Sprint master cylinder was of no help as the pedal went straight to the floor.

As I as trying to outbreak a Celica at the time and was deep into the corner, I had no option but to try to get as far round the corner as I could, get the car sideways to scrub off speed and not hit anything head on. Gravel trap worked well, as did the tyre wall and the in car safety stuff. I walked away without even a bruise, just sore muscles each side of my neck. Car however is a total wreck, twisted and bent in all directions, especially the roof, mainly around the full cage. Without that I probably wouldn't be writing this.

Now looking for another bodyshell to start again. All the drivetrain appears undamaged and working.

Rubber part of the hose (right front) came clean out of the crimped end. No sign of wear or damage. Worked well in previous corner, also a right hander, nothing in this corner at all. Hose had been on the car with the same brake and suspension set up for about seven years. Inspected prior to the race meeting and after the accident. Scary stuff as these are the same parts we use on our road cars as well.

Will try to get the full sequence of picture into Dolly Mixture.

Geoff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:10 am 
Holy cr4p! :shock:

Glad to hear that you are OK, Geoff.

Perhaps time i looked into getting a cage myself...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:57 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Yikes :shock: Glad you are OK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:04 am 
TDC Member

Holy Sh*t!!!!!!! :boggle2:

Glad to hear you got out unscathed.

Seconded on the roll cage.

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:08 am 
TDC Member

Great picture, and glad you escaped unhurt.

Were you using braided hoses or standard rubber?

2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE PHEV
2021 Dacia Duster 1.3 TCe
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2021 Honda Cross Tourer Highlander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:38 am 
Holy heck Geoff, that has to be the must spectacular Dolomite crash photo I have seen for aloooooong while. It even makes the incident that wrote off Mark's Group C Sprint look tame.

Glad you are OK.

I must admit with 30 years of racing experience I know where my skill limitations are, drive accordingly and have confidence in my ability not to create a situation that will result in a big one. BUT..... mechanical failures that you can never predict are always my greatest fear. I just try not to think of it!

If we can help with any parts please contact us.

Best regards
Philip

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:56 am 
most important outcome is your okay :D goodluck with a rebuild hope it doesnt take too long for you to have another up and running :bluewave:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:41 am 
that is an incredible photograph.

Good to hear you weren't injured.

amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:57 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Bloomin banger racers! Vandal! :wink:

I love the two arcs of sand looking like air vortices!

Thank the Lord for your skill, the in car protection and the professional response of modern day circuits to the inherent dangers ! I'd enter the lottery this week if I were you!

Tell us, at what point of the rolls did you start mentally diagnosing what might have happened?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:58 pm 
Cor, glad youre ok! Great picture though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:16 am 

Thank goodness you have walked away cos its only a car and in the great order of things totally unimportant.

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:00 pm 
Hi Geoff,

VERY SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR LOSS. The most important thing is that you walked away with no injuries and that you ARE capable of rebuilding the car.

If we can help in anyway let us know. Cheap cars or body shells do come up from time to time on the local market, the only issue is the freight cost to NZ.
Quote:
Rubber part of the hose (right front) came clean out of the crimped end. No sign of wear or damage.
Before you race again please convert your car to braided stainless steel hoses. They are virtually indestructible and give better brake feel.

Here is another example of a brake hose failure, looks familiar doesn't it.
Attachment:
File comment: Brake failure
IMG_15539web.jpg
IMG_15539web.jpg [ 303.3 KiB | Viewed 2979 times ]
Mark

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:26 am 
I agree with the remarks about braided stainless steel hoses, but they can fail to.
The connections depends even more to the skill of the guy who made them.
I make my own and know that especially cutting the hose in the proper way is very important.
Also these brake hose don't have a live time warranty, it is you who is responsible, a pilot also checks his plane before take off.
Good maintains and correct checking procedures are vital after, and before every time you go onto the circuit.
In the UK every circuit has these signs all around the track, motor sport is dangerous.

Thank god you walked away.

Hans

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:09 am 
TDC Member

The good news is that I have found a replacement bodyshell so should soon be able to start the painstaking process of rebuilding. Shell is supposedly rust free and paint in reasonably good condition so that will keep the costs down I hope. The wreck has now been completely stripped but I'm hanging on to it so I know where to drill all the extra holes from the modifications over the years.

Although this has primarily a race car it was still road registered and legal. About 5 or 6 years ago the authorities in NZ made braided hoses illegal for road use unless they were fitted by the manufacturer when the car was new - just typical of the illogical nonsense that happens from time to time. That is really why I was still running with OEM type rubber brake hoses. I now understand that a couple of years ago they changed the rules again so as long as the braided hoses are approved to a recognised standard, they can be used. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of that.

I have a 64 point checklist I go through religously before each race meeting and that includes brake hoses. That includes putting the car up on a two post hoist to bea ble to look underneath in detail. I've subsequently had both front hoses professional examined and there was NO sign of any wear or indications one was about to give way. No corrosion, cracks, bulges etc. There was also plenty of free play when the suspension was on full travel on both locks. Just one of those things that happens I suppose. Three braided hoses will soon be going on the road Sprint as well as the racecar when it reappears.

I still can't understand the apparent failure of the tandem master cylinder to provide any rear braking though. It was from a late model Sprint, had been professional rebuilt and plumbed up to give what would appear to give independent front and rear braking circuits. I haven't taken it apart though but probably will before it goes in the bin! Am looking at possibly replacing it with a larger bore Wilwood tandem cylinder with separate resevoirs for each circuit. I'm a bit paranoid about brakes at the moment as you can image! What are others using?

Geoff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:54 pm 
TDC Member

I had a similar problem with the tandem master cylinder when the brakes failed on my 1500HL. I always assumed that if one circuit sprung a leak, then the other would hold up. However, a rear cylinder let go, causing ALL the fluid drained out of the reservoir, leaving me with no brakes at all - the pedal went straight to the floor.. What the master cylinder really needs is two separate fluid chambers, rather than just one combined one. With one combined chamber, it all seems rather pointless in having the dual system!

On my old 1975 Beetle 1303S, that had two separate brake fluid chambers - one for each of the two circuits.

At least in your case the car held up to the crash very well! Post some pictures up of the rebuild :)

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6