The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Autocross musings
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:08 pm 
So finally got the Dolly off the axle stands after 18 months up in the air. Got it inspected on Friday (MOT equivalent but not as strict) and took it for a drive around town on Saturday.

During it's time up in the air I put in a Tran X LSD, Corbeau Clubman seats and Harnesses. I should have put in a replacement ring and pinion as the one in there now is noisy. I had convinced myself there was a bad bearing causing the noise so changed those, oh well at least it works. What a difference having an LSD makes autocrossing, none of the sitting there waiting for the inside wheel to stop spinning watching the time tick away. I had my crappy old street tyres on for the event so my times were not good but it was great fun sliding the car around being in control all the time and not facing the wrong way. My track tyres are considered R-compound as they have a tread ware rating of less then 140 so I usually get stuck in a highly modified class hence using the rocks I use on the street. I think I will have to get some sticky 13" tyres sent over from Blighty as 13" are almost impossible to find here in any kind of decent compound.

Other than my ignition wiring harness melting due to my negligence and missing the last two runs a great day was had in the LSD equiped Dolly.

Cheers

Mark

Post subject: Re: Autocross musings
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:50 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Damn fine show I expect those Yankee doodles wonder what the hell your little beast is, a pint sized Limey rocket :lol:

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

Post subject: Re: Autocross musings
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:01 pm 
Once I sort out the tyre situation I should be able to surprise a few yankee BMW drivers!