The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:14 pm 
TDC Member

Forge Summer Performance Car Action Day
Saturday, Sept. 10th 2011
At Castle Combe.

I decided at the last minute to take part in this event as it will probably be the last trackday I do this year and probably the last time for the Track Sprint in it's current guise.

I had to take the wheels for PUS to the sprayers so used the Track Sprint to deliver them (as they won't fit in the S2000), just as well I did as on the way the engine got quite hot. When I got there I opened the bonnet & let it cool down whilst I was waiting for the wheels to have new tyres fitted. Once it had cooled down sufficiently I refilled with water & leaving the brass filler nut off, switched on the ignition expecting the coolant to flow out of the thermostat housing (leccy waterpump), but nothing happened. After a bit of fiddling I found it was just a corroded connector stopping the pump from working.

When I got back home I decided to remove the wp controller (this has nothing to do with the above problem, just something I've been meaning to try out). This controls how fast the pump rotates depending on the water temp.. So now the pump runs at it's max. revs whenever the ignition is on. So obviously the engine now takes longer to warm up but on track the temp never went above 85 degs. which is great as it used to hit 90-95. (and I've added some lightness :lol: )

Anyway, although it was windy and we had a few showers, all three of my sessions were dry, which was a bonus. The Sprint went really well but I keep spinning up the rear wheels through Quarry (the tight right hander just after the long start/finish straight), you can hear the revs scream before I flick the o/d switch.

There was a fair amount of interest in the Sprint, you know the usual "I used to have one of those..." One guy came over & said similar and that he was driving the green with yellow striped MX5 that I had passed at an earlier event. "What have you got under the bonnet" he asked, a Sprint engine I replied. "Get away" he says. So I opened the bonnet. "Bloody hell, it is." He was expecting some sort of modern transplant. I also got talking with a youngster who had a 1.8 Fiesta. He asked if he could come round with me so I obliged. He was suitably impressed.

Anyway, enough of me rabbiting, here are the vids...

Session 1

Session 2

Engines, Gearboxes, Overdrives etc. rebuilt. PM me.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:03 pm 
Fantastic videos :D My son didn't think a Dolomite could drive that fast :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:48 pm 
Sounded good coming out of Quarry, Mart. Have you changed the exhaust?
Pictures available of course.
Called round to the pits, but you must have been on a break!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:04 pm 
Blimey, that guy in the new Renault's a bit fond of his brakes isn't he? :lol:

And the white MK2 Fiesta seemed quite perky, methinks someone's had the spanners at that!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:17 pm 
TDC Member

Shame I missed you Mike. I only had two sessions initially, one at 9:30 & the other at 3:15, so I walked down to Quarry to meet up with a work colleague who was driving an MX5. We must have passed each other. Haven't changed the exhaust.

The guy (assuming it was a guy) in the Renault was quick on the straights (the easy bits) but very cautious under braking & turn-in. But you have to remember, and I always bear this in mind, that this may have been the first time for them at this track or even their first trackday. The Fiesta was stripped out & a 1.8 engine fitted. It was quick but the lad was a tad over enthusiastic in the corners.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:58 pm 
Well, someone got himself noticed:

Got to work this morning, and was immediately approached by one of our maintenance guys. We've had many a chat in the past, about cars, and he knows full well of my interest in Track Days and Triumphs. He's something of an Astra fan; but, no-one's perfect :mrgreen:
"Were you at Combe on Saturday ?" He asked. "Unfortunately not" (or, words to that effect) I replied;
"There was some guy in a rough looking blue Dolomite, making some of the 'Scooby' boys look a bit silly" Says he... "do you know him ?" .... "Think I might have a pretty good idea" Says me; and we went on to chat about cars and track days some more.

So, maximum respect to you, matey :thumbsup:

Oh, and PS: Thanks for keeping the videos coming.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:41 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Thanks Mart just spent a great 20 mins wishing I was there too 8)
This is the first year since the mid 90's that I have not been to Combe or done any track days.
Since you kindly helped me place my car in a safe place to await home delivery :wink: I have not driven it despite repairing it.
Many of those drivers were not in your league but had faster cars, however it gives great satisfaction to take a 30 year old to the limit :D
Hope to join in next year.

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:15 pm 
TDC Member

Bit late, but fantastic show again! Thanks for putting the videos up!

Regarding the wheels spinning, maybe your LSD isn't locking that much anymore after all the trashing it's got?? Do you have the rear ARB removed or fitted?

Also it seems your engine's having more mid-range torque now when compared to f.i. '09 season videos. That could be part of the tires' difficulties to cope;-)

I'm also curious to your planned TrackSprint renovation....

Cheers,

www.triumphowners.com/tahitisprint

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:04 am 
TDC Member

Ronald, Good point about the LSD. I've not touched it since I originally fitted it, apart from topping up the oil. Still using the rear ARB, maybe should try removing it. I'm pretty sure the "professionals" don't use them.

1997 TVR Chimaera 450

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:53 am 

Iirc someone once said that the rear arb on one of the proper racing sprints was littler more than a piece of wire to please the scrutineers...