The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:07 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Historic Rallying
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:59 pm 
Hi,

I aiming to compete in the Tour of Cheshire in March next year. I've been trying to decipher the regulations in the Blue Book for historic road rallying. Could anyone provide me with a comprehensive list of any modifications to the car required to compete in historic road rallies, including stickers etc. Also, a Dolly Sprint was rallied in the ToC this year. Anyone know if he's on here? I would be very grateful if contact details could be provided if he is.

Thanks in advance :D :D

Regards

Adam

Post subject: Re: Historic Rallying
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:25 am 
Anyone?? :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:25 pm 
hiya i think you need to advertise this in the event section as the tour of cheshire ,also it might be worth contacting eric noble the northwest area rep as there are quite a few cheshire members who would probably be interested in this jannette :D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:29 pm 
thanks jannette, will do

Adam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:58 am 
TDC Member

Adam

The MSA Blue Book is very confusing if you are just starting out. Broadly speaking you are only allowed to modify the car in the way that was homologated when it was current. There are a very small number of exceptions to this - certain sensible safety items, but that is all.

There is an archivist as the RAC MSA who, for a fee will provide a copy of the homologation sheet for your type of car - they are all stored carefully right back to the 1930's. This then acts as your bible and you cannot deviate from it except as said above certain safety things (automatic extinguishers, roll cages, harnesses, halogen bulbs, etc).

You then have to decide whether you are entering the standard or modified class for your particular year group. Standard cars have to be pretty much exactly that. Later in the 1980's this became known as Group N or "normal" and a bit more was allowed to be done, but the 60's and 70's regs are very much more restrictive.

Remember also that the practice of covering cars with stickers and indeed, even drivers names, did not really take hold until the late 1970's and you will lose points in certain events for turning up in a car so bedecked when of its era it should not be.

The MSA approved tyre list tends to be updated annually so keep a careful eye on it.

If you call the MSA there are real people there who, in my experience, will go out of their way to help you. It is a nice organisation like that.

2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE PHEV
2021 Dacia Duster 1.3 TCe
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2021 Honda Cross Tourer Highlander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:13 am 
That's a big help thanks, the homogolation sheets sound like a good idea. I'll contact MSA and see if I can get hold of one. :D :D

Thanks again

Adam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:58 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hello, i know everything about dolomites, homologation and rallying but you are going to road rally? Not stage rallying? I can supply copies of the homologationforms if you like.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:36 pm 
Hi,

That would be great if you could. MSA are trying to charge me £48!! Do you want to email or post the copies? These would be invaluable :D

Adam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:11 pm 
TDC Member

Also available on line
http://www.dollysprint.com/rac_homologation_form.htm

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:08 pm 

Quote:
Oh, forgot. But if you need any info, ask.

For stage rallying you can use the sprint and 1850. The 1850 was homologated in 1972 and had no modifications. So totally std.

The sprint in 1974 and had gp2 modifications. You cannot stage rally in an other type of dolomite. Road rallies you can do with every car. I suggest you will start with a decent tripmeter and clock and stopwatch. The rest you will find out the first few events. For night events a new alternator about 60-70 amp and 100w auxillary lights. There are also sealed beams 140w to fit in the std housing to replace the inner lamps so no extra fitted on the frontbumper but lots of illumination.

On the events you will see what others use for navigation and can then choose what you want to or need to.

Don't forget to fit some extra relays and fuses when going to big lamps.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:58 pm 
Thanks for that guys, I'm road rallying so the 1500hl should be fine I think. Looking at getting a Brantz BR32 rally clock and an International 2 tripmeter, which fit in with the regulations of the clubman rallying run by the HRCR. Does anyone know whether "heavy duty" springs are allowed for clubmans?

Thanks again

Adam :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:04 pm 

Quote:
Thanks for that guys, I'm road rallying so the 1500hl should be fine I think. Looking at getting a Brantz BR32 rally clock and an International 2 tripmeter, which fit in with the regulations of the clubman rallying run by the HRCR. Does anyone know whether "heavy duty" springs are allowed for clubmans?

Thanks again

Adam :D
There's no homologation so change everthing you like. There are only for some events some restrictions for the looks. So some don't allow very "wild" looking cars with decals, lots of spots and spats because it must retain an "original" car. Two additional spots are never a problem. You can change seats, add multipoint harnasses etc. On some events you cannot have wider steel rims (welded) but a period alloy wheel is ok.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:51 pm 
TDC Member

As soe8m says the regulations vary from event to event. Be very careful as it is so easy to trip up.

Generally safety and navigation mods are okay (what you have suggested sounds fine). The exhaust is usually free from the manifold back. There is an annually approved list of tyres you must stick to. Some events allow period alloys, others insist on the original wheel and tyre size.

Move your fuses and relays to inside the car in front of the passenger. Move the washer bottle inside in the passengers footwell so it doesn't ice up and can be topped up on the go. Fit a passengers foot rest and fit a foot operated horn button to the footboard. Move the windscreen wiper and washer controls to the centre of the car so they can be operated by either driver or passenger. If you cannot operate any switchgear with the harnesses correctly done up, then move the switch to where you can. Fit a map light inside the car and an old number plate lamp to the roof above the passengers window for shining on the marshalls clipboard at time controls. Fix pens and pencils to the car in the navigators compartment (to the roll cage pillar tube is ideal). Fit a dip switch to the passengers side in case the driver is busy wheel twirling and cannot dip (or raise) the lights. fit kill switches inside and outside the car. Move the brake and fuel lines inside the car along the side of the centre tunnel. Fit a second back up coil to the bulkhead and have a spare set of leads and cap all linked up ready to snap onto the dizzy in the spares box. Fit a folder to teh side of the tunnel on the passengers side for holding maps etc - its a nightmare when they slip on the floor and you are wearing a harness.

It is the little things that make the difference - I could go on and on. Above all, enjoy it.

2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE PHEV
2021 Dacia Duster 1.3 TCe
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2021 Honda Cross Tourer Highlander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:30 pm 

Made some of recycled dolomite parts. The door pocket is from a seatpocket and the other is made from a boot trim.
Attachment:
map1.JPG
map1.JPG [ 400.42 KiB | Viewed 4025 times ]
Attachment:
map2.JPG
map2.JPG [ 343.93 KiB | Viewed 4026 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:23 pm 
Hi,

Thanks for all the tips, very useful. Better get going as I've only got 3 months left to sort everything!

Adam