The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Aye indeed..........
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:38 am 
TDC Member

Rally Design sell an aluminium version of the Sprint radiator.

(The Saab radiator I used is also a replacement for the 99 and 900 one (the fan is mounted differently on these), so as the 99
goes right back to the sixties, so may still be acceptable?)

Ian.

Post subject: Re: Historic Rallying
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:05 pm 
Long time no posting.I thought some might be interested in my Road Rally Dolly
We are Chelmsford Motor Club members and have been since 2003 I think.
I compete with my brother Paul on fewer events since around 2010 than - We are both quite senior in years ( 50's kids)
We used to be members od West Essex Car Club in the 70's and did some 12 car rallies in my 64 Mini Cooperish, and sometimes in my Minivan.We also did a stage rally in a MK2 Cortina.
It was during the 70's that my interest in Dolomites was spawned - Charles Golding & Preston Ayres rallied a Sprint page 9 ( see link to the CMC mag which bro Paul edits. http://chelmsfordmc.co.uk/cmc/Torque/Sp ... h2013.pdfs)
So when Pauland I decided we would take part in some HRCR events a Dolomite was on the list.
I had a tidy TR7 Coupe but it was a 79 great for CMC 12 cars etc and therefore at that time , but was too "new" for HRCR.
Paul has a 63 Bond Equipe we did the Hughes Rally in that but was concerned about pushing too hard, its a rare car and not mine also when you take a look at Pauls photo against his posts it is a bit prone to the Herald Hop.
I always enjoyed the bigger Triumphs 2.5 PI especially and was looking for a suitable one solid but not mint, I found the perfect car - test drove it and despite it being a really good buy I found that for spirited driving on tight country lanes it really was too heavy for a wimp like me.
So being on a really tight budget we wanted a tax exempt car ideally ( = two entry fees to tax a gas guzzler).Escys were out and I did not want a Mini even they were too expensive anyway.
I was sent to Japan for work and while wasting away my weekends on EBAY I found my current car.
Unfinished project 1850 K reg in my favourite colour and quite rare Wedgewood Blue. The car was correctly described as sound body wise and needed no welding.My son and Bruv went and looked at it collected it parted with a silly small amount of cash - no other bidders.
It had ben dry stored (abandoned in the widows garage)since 1981
Engine was ceased and the guy had fitted another with a TR7 head and carbs, not quite sure what else he did but that engine is still in the car and has done about 7000 miles mostly on rallies or to and from events.Its a bit tired nowand has started to rattle a bit on start up and uses a bit of oil.

It tok about 3 months to sort it for HRCR events, rear roll hoop, lines inside, electric fuel pump, Sealed rear bulkhead.Tandem master cylinder from a later car etc.Eventually we were almost ready for the East Anglian Classic of 2006.
I say almost because on the first special test on the big airfield I hit the brakes hard for the first time at a good speed and with a sickening crunch the engine and transmission launched itself via the plastic fan into the radiator - there was lots of steam and bits of plastic allover the place - but most importantly old Dolly had put a grin on my face it was (and still is) a hoot to drive oversteer mainly but very controllable ( well nearly always ).
We retired from the event needing some develpment in many areas and of course the services of the RAC to get her home again.The reason the engine shot forward was that the restrictor plates on the engine mounts were fitted backwards ( not by me a hasten to add ) But I did not even know of there existance

We did a few more events and slowly got to know the car and for quite some time was the only Dolly among the HRCR Road Rally regulars.
Gearboxes are the achilles heel we have had about 5 to date and we ripped the centre plate of the cluch apart when doing Course car duty on the EAC.We have had issues with exhausts an now run a mild steel bitsa with welded skids which has been on a few years now and oits holding up well.
We took part in a CMC 12 car rally in Jan 2007 and wrong slotted into a very deep ford - Dolly drowned and so did we nearly - there was two foot of water in the car. Engine had hydraulic and blew the head gasket out sideways.
That took a lot of work to get the water out of everything. Fearing the worst we sourced another engine - but I took the head off - measured everything checked the valves werent bent put it back together and shes was as sweet as ever in fact.
Apart from that the old car has been totally reliable - its the nut on the steering wheel mostly hitting cones or "wrongtesting" and the navigation that has seen us only midfield at best, but we do have fun.