The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:57 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Historic Rallying
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:01 pm 
TDC Member

Hi,
Incase you're wanting to add extra spots, I think because the dolly already has twin headlights, you can't add any additional spots without removing/unplugging/taping-over/disconnecting two spots from the standard lights. Think there is a rule saying maximum of 4 forward facing lights, unfortunately for the dolly, twins count as twins. I'm pretty sure this counts for classic rallies like the cheshire as i've seen guys with 2 standards and 3 extras and being told to remove one. I think its to avoid the "rally" look of some cars and driving around lanes, trying to keep good relations with the locals.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:31 pm 
Hi,

Yes you're right on this, you are only allowed two forward facing beams. Since its during the day, it shouldn't be a problem, and I've upgraded to halogen bulbs anyway, which is allowed on safety grounds, also the sealed beam units are getting quite expensive!

Regards
Adam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:36 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I'm using these in some cars:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/lucas-SB4537- ... 35b7b204ad

Jeroen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:07 pm 
They look fine, but you have to replace the whole thing for £25, rather than a bulb for £2-3, so given were allowed to make the swap, I thought it a good idea to save myself a few quid. :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:50 pm 

Quote:
They look fine, but you have to replace the whole thing for £25, rather than a bulb for £2-3, so given were allowed to make the swap, I thought it a good idea to save myself a few quid. :D
Yes but these have a clear lens and give far much more light than a 100w bulb in a normal spreaded lens. They are also available in 140w and these are used as landing lights in some airplanes.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:05 pm 
I use a very similar unit, the lucas LR14. Basically they are a halogen build in a clear seal beam. They light the road for miles. Mine are only 55 watt When they blow I will replace them with 140w versions of these.
Code:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:22 am 
TDC Member

FYI: Ilkley Jubilee Historic Rally?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20805

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:39 pm 
Hi,

Just purchased or at least put a deposit down on a Sprint which I will use on Historic Road Rallies.

I plan to collect the car at the end of March which is the earliest opportunity.
I expect it to take us about 3 months to complete the car as it is a rolling shell at the moment. The aim is to try and get it ready in time for the Ross Traders in July and then maybe the Rally of the Test in November.

I am sure I will be asking questions and looking for bits and pieces as the car has been a unfinished project in a garage since 2008. The owner has been honest and said he is sure he has lost a few bits but has no idea what they are. He is going to spend the next couple of weeks trying to find all the bits and pieces for us.

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:06 pm 
A quick up date on my Historic Sprint Road Rally car build.

We are just into month three of the build and all the suspension, brakes etc are on and finished. The wiring loom is nearly complete and should be finished by the end of next week. That will give us a complete rolling car less engine and gearbox which are on the garage floor ready to be put together and installed. Gearbox is still the only unknown but the owner did say it was all good and most of what he told me has turned out to be true but still fingers crossed as it is the only major component which has not be replaced or rebuilt.

The initial start up should be fun as it is a new rebuilt engine (3 years ago but still not fitted) with a set of replacement rebuilt carbs so expecting some teething problems.

Last edited by Smartshark on Thu May 30, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:48 pm 

Last edited by Smartshark on Thu May 30, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:06 pm 

Hello Paul,

Lesson one in rally car prep. Do not fit anything on the rear parcel shelf.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:40 pm 

Last edited by Smartshark on Thu May 30, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Smartshark......
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:47 pm 
TDC Member

I think your efforts deserve a thread of their own :D
and it may help with answers to your questions too.

Sorry, I don't have specific answers to your questions, only suggestions.
Radiator, I have used a Saab 9-3 radiator which has a greater area and bigger volume and fits without modifying the body.
IanDollySprint uses the same radiator on his 200bhp Vauxhall engined Sprint.
Geoff Sparkes in NZ and Sprintparts in Australia both use a Porsche radiator (which involves some body modification and is 2 or 3
times more expensive than a Saab radiator).

Exhaust, I have a homebrew exhaust on my car, but have learned that Jigsaw Engineering do a performance exhaust.
Not sure about a manifold though.

Ian.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:02 pm 
Bear in mind that some Historic rally regs restrict what you can fit to parts that were used in period, particularly with Category 3 cars (post '76) that, IIRC, have to use homolgated parts, so things like modern rads may not be allowed - if you're going to do the HRCR events it is worth checking with Paul Loverage (the HRCR chief elegibility scrutineer) what you can and can't do.

Janspeed will make you a proper works-spec Sprint exhaust, but it won't be cheap - you'll be looking at the best part of a monkey. Apparently Serck Intertruck in Portsmouth can re-core a Sprint radiator with an extra core, which might be allowable. I've not used them myself but they have been recommended to me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:06 pm 

Last edited by Smartshark on Thu May 30, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.