The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:48 pm 
Hello guys, I have recently bought a 1300 dolomite from 1977, having driven it about a little it seems it has a serious lack of poke.
Not even enough to spin up the rears. Is this normal ? Also I'm looking into some tuning so what do people think about nos or superchargers ??

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:34 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Sorry to break this to you but you should have bought a Sprint.
The 1300 can be made to go but the cost is high and the results mediocre.
The 1500 is the worst engine Triumph ever made and comes complete with bearing failure and rough running as standard.

One way to go if you object to a 16 valve sprint lump is to put a TR7 lump in with either an 1850 cog box or a Sprint box the Sprint box is almost unbreakable as it is also found in the Stag and TR6 etc.

However I reckon that a turbo suitably grafted on to your lump would be interesting 8)
Or a new mini supercharger 8)
NOS, no idea but please let me know if you do.

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:22 am 
Yeah sprints are a little pricey for.me but point taken. Having not researched it I had thought the 1300 was an a series engine, so I thought it would be very tuneable. I'm looking into the mini superchargers but I can't find a suitable carb for it.
Cheers for the advice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:59 pm 

Quote:
Also I'm looking into some tuning so what do people think about nos or superchargers ??
Quote:
Yeah sprints are a little pricey for.me
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Another one.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:06 pm 

Basically, what Jeroen is trying to say, is by the time you've added a supercharger or nitrous to it, with adequate supporting mods, brakes, decent engine internals etc. you could have bought a Sprint, which will still be faster.

ISTR Moss do a supercharger kit for OHV Triumph lumps, but it runs to the multiple thousands...

Does sound like yours could do with some love though, even Robs broken one could spin the rears.

Basically, how deep are your pockets and how fast do you want to go?

EDIT; having just seen a post of yours on another thread, definitely don't even consider any tuning for a couple of years yet. Insurance will become a struggle.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:23 pm 
Point taken, I love it despite the lack of power id just like to get it a bit more pokey, when I put my foot down it bogs right down then picks up. Also my god does it roll through cornering.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:42 pm 
Quote:
Also my god does it roll through cornering.
It will do, the more "basic" models have no front or rear anti roll bars, these can be obtained and fitted relativity easily (as all the holes are provided by the manufacturer) to your car. It makes a lot of difference to how the car handles.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:17 pm 
Mine does appear to have anti roll-bars, wondering whether the sprints bars would go on there just for a bit of extra stability.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:53 am 

Unfortunately, that will make next to no difference at all, they're all exactly the same afaik.

What condition are the struts/springs in?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:04 am 
aha thats a shame, they seem fine, they dont make any worrying noises and the car isnt lopsided or anything, i guess its just a squidgy car. i suppose i could fit some uprated dampers but i do feel a little drawn to keeping it as standard as i can... im torn you see.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:16 pm 
Yes, sorry. I checked. Your car would have been fitted with a front anti roll bar as standard, but not one on the rear. It is dead easy to fit the rear one as the holes in the trailing arms are already there.

But if you already have both then as Oli says you need to look abit further into why it does what it does.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:25 pm 
having got underneath the car ive noticed it doesnt have one at the rear :shock: , i shall fit one imminently.
Cheers for the help :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:27 pm 
Great, glad to be able to help. I think the rear one will make all the difference to your car. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:35 pm 
@ the o/p:
When you say that your car rolls, what are you comparing it to? The Dolomite is prone to some body roll which may simply be the nature of the beast in the case of yours, but stiffening it too much for road use will tend to make it less comfortable and far less predictable so a bit compromise is good.
My last one had 190lb springs up front in place of its o/e, 137lb ones which did reduce body roll to a point but it was a lot more pleasant when I'd swapped them back for fresh 137lb ones instead and, roll or no, they have a good bit mechanical grip even when the tyre treads are well and truly distorted, as the following picture from a recent thread demonstrates well I feel:

Now that's a Sprint, but here's a 1300 and the difference doesn't look that great to me, I'd expect your Dolomite to come somewhere between the pair:

Both of those cars are good examples of their type, neither is rolling excessively by the standard of the breed. How does yours compare? :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:48 pm 
wow thats a fantastic answer !! im simply comparing to the cars ive driven before but since this is my first classic car i really dont have much to compare it to. it certainly grips like hell, i cant get the tail out unless its been raining.