The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:09 am 
After the new camshaft problems earlier this year, very pleased to report a successful competition day two weekends ago. This event is a little like the Albany Around the Houses - we get to stick numbers on the car and go racing with about 20 to 30 other cars for 6 lap races. Brilliant day - good turn out of Triumphs - 3 Mk1 PIs (we formed a team of those guys and my Sprint for the 1 hour relay event), several TR4s, TR6 and TR8 and GT6.

We are assuming the chewing out of the cam and rockers was caused by very heavy double valve springs. Now running standard single valve springs and using an racing oil with zinc. Some pictures from the day. Car is now running 45 Webers. Improved lap times by 2 seconds. There is definitely more to come. The car is very noticeably quicker in a straight line. Changing into fourth much earlier and pulling 7000rpm in fourth at the end of the long straight (yes, the overdrive failed after about 10 laps - not sure of the problem as the car went straight into the garage after the event and more pressing matters such as finishing painting the house before Christmas took priority!!) However, the increased speed revealed some of the deficiencies of the car. Brakes are now struggling a little, but most of all was the understeer ( to some extent created by too much entry speed, I think) and the inability to get good traction out of the corners. Not sure that the Phantom Grip is working all that well. Anyway, plenty of food for thought in terms of driving and setting up the car. The last time I drove the car at our local racetrack was two years ago and I would have to say in hindsight that I was overdriving the car. Need to get up there and just do some more practice and set up without the racing!!

Have a great Christmas. Hoping to get in a few more competition events in 2013 - time and money allowing!!

Cheers

Paul Roberts
Perth Western Australia
ImageImageImageImageImage[/img]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:59 am 
Well done.Car looks great

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:22 am 
Great to hear Paul, and the car still looks good !

It must go like the clappers, what is 7k in 4th worth in km/hr ? :)

stu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:39 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh - 4 branch manifold - off the shelf purchase or custom made.

Regards
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:49 am 

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, 4 branch manifold, you lucky RHD's. LHD is steerring shaft and joints, no space.............

Jeroen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:57 pm 
Very nice car Paul!, well done mate.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:32 pm 
Looking very nice!! Very nice motor you got there! Yeh I'm interested in the manifold too! Where did you get it as that's something like what I'm after!
Cheers, Shep

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:53 pm 
TDC Member

Good effort!

Do you run a 4.1 diff ratio? If so, then 7000 in 4th will be about 172km/h on 185/60x13 tires (or 107 mph :wink:

Also, does your block has been braced to withstand high(er) revs? Any pictures 8)

Cheers,

www.triumphowners.com/tahitisprint

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:36 pm 
Thanks for the comments. Yes block is braced. I raced a Sprint in the early 90s and cracking the bearing webs was a continual problem. Hopefully we now have the top and bottom sorted and reliable!!
Car is running a 4.1 diff, and you're spot on with the tyres so I guess 172kph it is!! Re the manifold - custom made from when I was racing. Requires the suspension turret to be cut and shut and the passenger footwell and gearbox tunnel to be slightly modified.

Paul Roberts
Perth, Western Australia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:55 pm 
TDC Member

Still love the look of this beautifully presented car.

A credit to you Paul. Colour is a personal thing, but I still think the shape looks wonderful in silver.

2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE PHEV
2021 Dacia Duster 1.3 TCe
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2021 Honda Cross Tourer Highlander