The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:38 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

does any one know exactly what the works race / rally cars had for a panhard rod set up ?

its not clear from the hololagation papers what was done !!

you can see that the standard rear upper diagonal links have being removed, but not how the lateral movemet is controled

and obviousely there must be major modifications to the rear body/ chassis locations

cheers nick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:39 pm 

They had a panhard setup for lateral. It is not on the homologation form because it is not homologated. Before 1976 the FIA rules gp2 of rear suspension pick up points and type were free. After 1976 the std mounting points had to be used and all the "old" gp2 modifications were accepted for one more year on the existing gp2 cars and in 1977 it had to go by 1976's rules. Triumph did not bother homologating this rear setup because in 1976 the TR7 came. That is also the reason why after 1976 only gp1 Dolomites were on the road. The gp2 with 4 link parrallel could not be used anymore on FIA events. The only effort they made was homologating most of the engine parts for gp1 to have almost as much power as the gp2. I do have a lot of original pictures of the gp setup and also from the dutch gp2 rally sprint but they were all different. There was never ever 2 identical rally cars build by ST in gp1 or gp2.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:50 pm 

thanks for the information

would it be posible for you to forward me some photographs of the original set up if i pm you with my e mail address

thanks again

nick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:06 pm 

That's ok.

Jeroen