The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Megajolt Questions
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:19 pm 
Ordered my unit today from the states in kit form with tps. trigger wheel not sorted yet, but am thinking along the lines of a 5 3/4" wheel on the back of the pulley, welded to the shank of the pulley, spaced 1mm ish away from the outer pulley so it can move freely. Also got to work out how to fit a TPS on to 2" SU's.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:40 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

this will give you some idea paul if you haven't seen it already, although on webbers , i've got to figure fitment to dellorto's, going to get the mondeo tps just to try it out .

http://www.cate1.co.uk/megajolt/installation.php

rich

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:10 am 
Cheers for that. I will also give the mondeo TPS a go, as it looks the same and gets round the problem of having to join the wires.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:41 pm 

Looked at some mondeo tps's today at the ford scrappy you mentioned paul and they looked nothimg like the one in the above link , the guy said their are a variety fitted across the years.

also looked in the scrappy ( near the ricoh ) the best match was on a rover, a lot smaller and easier to fit, maybe.

rich

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:52 pm 
Rowley auto spares, spent many a saturday morning in there getting bits to patch up the various sheds I've had over the years. not really been to a proper scrap yard in years. Hoping to get 10 mins tomorrow to go to one local to me and have a look. I will see what TPS's i can find that are small and of 5k resistance.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:37 am 
Went to local breaker this morning got everything, Edis unit, coil and leads, crank trigger, TPS and loads of wiring for £20. bargin.
looked at varous TPS and i got one of a DOHC 2l sierra, also looked at one on a rover 200 and it was the same unit (well it looks the same).
just got to sort out the trigger wheel and get some new wire and pins for the sockets. I have sorted out a map to start off with based on the map the chap with the 16v TR7 had done.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:53 pm 

You got a bargain their paul , i paid thirty for mine and didn't get the ht leads.

could you tell me , does it look possible to get the connectors off on the coil end .

rich

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:06 pm 
No, it looks like a molded end.
The leads i got are off a x flow so they are long. My planf was to cut the rubber boot of on the plug end and slide the sprint rubbers on. the only problem is they are 8mm leads so it will be a tight fit, and they are gray. Not black like the orginals.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:44 pm 

thanks for the reply paul , anyone got any further with this ?

rich

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:09 pm 
The lead idea works. The rubber boots are hard to get on, i used oil to help it slip on.
The ECU is now built and tested, hooked it up to the laptop and downloaded a map to it, all ok. Just fitting an oil cooler at presant , so while the rad is out i will sort the crank trigger. Hoping to have it all up and running for the Cadwell park track day on the 6th May. Currently toying with the idea of using the normal coil and letting the Dizzy sort out the order of the sparks, i am already using a 12volt high power coil. I figuire, putting the two coil power leads together though two high power diodes it should fire the coil correctly and also sort out the rev counter. Also the engine bay will look proper.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:27 am 
Mega jolt all installed and working. Made a big differance to the way the engine runs, a lot smoother at idle and far more responsive all over. Did not use the ford coilpack in the end, just put the coil wires together though a couple of diodes and straight onto the Neg on the coil. so if i ever want to swop back the orginal points type system I just swop wires onto the coil. Done about four hundred miles on it and a trackday with out a miss fire. just need to find the time to fine tune the map know.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:02 pm 

Excellent news Paul!
I wanna try and get mine done after a front subframe swap.
Quote:
Ordered my unit today from the states in kit form with tps. trigger wheel not sorted yet, but am thinking along the lines of a 5 3/4" wheel on the back of the pulley, welded to the shank of the pulley, spaced 1mm ish away from the outer pulley so it can move freely. Also got to work out how to fit a TPS on to 2" SU's.
Did you use this method for the trigger wheel in the end?
Any pics to share?

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:53 am 
When i put it all together i was in a bit of a rush. I will over the weekend try and take some photos and post them with a bit more detail.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:03 pm 
Hi Paul,
I am a Triumph owner in Germany.
I am very intersted how you have done this, dizzy and Megajolt.
How is the EDIS module wired ?
How are the diodes wired ?
What coil are you using?

Regards
Cornelius

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:10 am 
I fitted a megasquirt to my old pinto and used Edis. It's a good system, ultra reliable and capable of producing a good spark even with a large amount of boost. Very simple to install as well.

I too used the leads from a Valencia engine and just swapped/trimmed the ends. I considered a CNP setup but that was just because I was bored lol. Edis is a solid system for at least 10000rpm. I wound mine up to 8k

If anyone needs help with Edis, let me know.

Last bumped by Sprintinbits on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:10 am.