The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:12 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

After looking for a good while and a few lines of enquiries, it ends up appearing on ebay and gumtree half an hour along the road, so how could i have not bought it?? Drive back home from edinburgh with a screeching alternator belt, a slight blow from the exhaust and it idles about 2000rpm, it couldnt have behaved any better lol

Other than that it still looks great and feels great on the road (even on motorway with 3 speed autobox)

The previous owner had looked after it very well and really was sad to see it go,

So here is to sorting out the issues tomorrow hopefully

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:47 am 

Pleased to hear that you're reunited!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:30 am 

Well done, must bring back memories :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:59 am 
TDC Member

Ricky,
Really pleased that you have your Dolly back.

I bought her off a guy in Leigh–on-Solent, an ex-navy guy. I don’t know how long he had the car before he took it off the road but when I bought it, it had been off the road for 3 years.

He took it off the road to replace the ‘corroded brakes pipes’, an advisory on the MoT. He bought a metal brake pipe kit and started to take it all out, he believed the pipes were too long and gave up on it.
I took it home sorted out the metal brake pipes by bending them to the original shape and found it was the metal on the flexible hoses that were corroded badly, I replaced those with Goodrich hoses, fitted new rear wheel cylinders, new front discs and overhauled the callipers.

I did find a cause for concern on the front callipers in that there were at least 4 washers under the bolt heads securing the brake calliper, this left only about two threads in the hub.
The reason for this was the new discs he fitted were slightly too wide and when the calliper was bolted up it locked the disc. He must have thought the bolt was too long and packed it out but the problem continued. I resolved this problem and the discs are good.

I also fitted a new coil, set of plug leads and a new battery.I don’t know what ATF is in the box as I never had cause to change it or top it up.

SGC was displayed at the International Classic Car Show NEC in November 2012, a fab day for both of us.
She could be a bit difficult to start sometimes but she never overheated, so I can’t account for the head gasket change.

In December 2012 I sold SGC to Stuart who I believe also had it garaged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ak4jUf1iDA

Attachments:
IMAG0246.jpg
IMAG0246.jpg [ 140.5 KiB | Viewed 628 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:59 pm 

Great to hear you have your car back. It looks like a lovely car.