The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 3 rail gearbox parts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:32 am 
My Dolly has just decided to throw a curve ball at me and reverse stopped working
I had just fitted the gear lever bush kit which has made the gearchange beautifully slick and was going to back into normal parking spot when 'bang' I lost all gears
On removing the top cover I have found that the reverse actuator pivot pin has sheared!!
Does anyone have any idea where I can get one from, I've tried the usual suspects but not found one yet
Your help will be much appreciated
Cheers Jed

Post subject: Re: 3 rail gearbox parts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:40 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Try Mike Papworth in Coventry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:52 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Jed, Would this be Sprint or 1500 / 1850 please ? And is it the actual pin or the operating lever that has broken . The pin is a fairly substantial bit of metalwork.
Now I'm trying to rebuild an 1850 gearbox and the bad news is that gearbox bits are getting scarce sadly.

Just to digress for a mo.
Sprint pin is 106448 and is NLA. It is common to the Stag / Herald / Spitfire / Vitesse and GT6 so someone should have one.
The Sprint lever is 129894 and is still available . Interestingly Rimmers show this supplied complete with the pin in their picture. It could be a Buy It Now moment !

The 1500 / 1850 single rail Pin is DAM1714 which is still available from Rimmers, but is spline fixing.

The early 3 rail pin is 106448 and the lever is 106254, both look NLA. Early 3-rail pin is secured with a nylock

Now from my experience of 1850 / 1500 boxes it looks like they have all been overhauled at least once.
I have a single rail (late ) box with some early 3 rail bits in it. :shock:
I also have a set of 1500 bits in an 1850 casing :shock:

Can you establish if you have the splined pin or the nyloc nut fixing please. If you don't have any luck with the usual suppliers come back to us and I'll see what I have spare on one of these other boxes. I wonder if the casing can be machined to accept a spline fixing if it is currently nyloc equipped ?
HTH,
Tony.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:31 pm 
TDC Member

I have had a reverse pivot pin DAM1714 snap in a 1500 single rail box which did surprise me. I do not think it has splines but is just an interference fit into the casing. Looking at the photo on the rimmers sight of a DAM1714 seems to confirm this.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:50 pm 
Well after a day of searching the tinternet and a number phone calls, I think I've got one
The pin is splined through the casing with threads either end, item no 106448 on Rimmers site but not available
Eventually found it on Angloparts.com and its part number 023.759 Fulcrum pin which is used in a large number of Triumph gearboxes
Thanks for everyone's help

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:02 pm 
Sorry, missed a question
Its an 1850 1978 with a three rail box and O/d (and strangely enough, fitted with a TR7 manifold and HS6 carbs, goes very well!!!)