The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:18 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Sprint head gasket woes
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:13 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Code:

Here is the photo evidence of just why some sprint head gaskets are better than others.

Below are the last two gaskets that have failed, after I have to admit, is serious abuse by my driving, so are unlikely to fail in normal usage but are useless when the car is driven at max rpm. The picture also shows a new Payen gasket I obtained from Robsport even before the first track day because I just knew the head would fail.
The breach is between No 4 pot and the water jacket in both cases.

This picture shows the No 1 pot is beginning to fail.

These next two pictures shom the difference between a crap gasket and a good one. It is clear that the metal is thickier and better located on the Payen one and also has a ridge running right round the bore top, also the Payen has complete metall between bores on both sides compared with the thin folded over metal on the cheapie.

In conclusion I would not contemplate using the cheapie ever again as its design and manufacture are clearly inferior and until I compared the two types together, I was not aware of WHY the Payen type is better.
I would also suggest that perhaps machining a very shallow (.05mm deep x 2mm wide) groove just outside the bore area into the head would trap the gasket and make it much harder to blow.
What are your opinions guys...............or girls!

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:11 pm 
TDC Member

Jon, are you sure that's a Payen gasket you bought from Robsport ? If you have a spare block and a couple of head studs, fit the gasket to the block and check how everything lines up, especially the fire rings.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:40 pm 
I blame the driver myself :D Seriously Jon what a difference in the gaskets, however, blowing in the same spot twice in a row, how true is the head. Almost ashamed to ask an engineer that....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:00 am 

Quote:
I blame the driver myself :D Seriously Jon what a difference in the gaskets, however, blowing in the same spot twice in a row, how true is the head. Almost ashamed to ask an engineer that....
Had a well known racer here before I removed head, he predicted the exact position of the failure without even seeing it!
The real clincher Richard is the fact that both the failed gaskets are from different blocks and heads. (my original block had cracked and the latest head was skimmed by myself and is flat)
It is the weakest part of the engine/head seal as it is the largest water passage and at the top where the angled (weakest)studs are.

So it was supposed to be a Payen if it is not then what is it please?
It looks good quality but is there better?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:09 am 
Quote:
So it was supposed to be a Payen if it is not then what is it please?
It looks good quality but is there better?
That are the same that i bought by rimmer. These are payen but have no payen mark on them. The gasket material and the rings are payen for sure.

Jeroen Rothman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:16 am 
See...knew I shouldn't have asked :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:50 am 
The 'good quality' gasket is the very same one I got off eBay in the top end set when I did my headgasket.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:57 pm 

Quote:
See...knew I shouldn't have asked :oops:
Aw dont be embarassed you and I have had long chats about all engines as we are both knowledgable on many other engines, not just this slanty weak one 8)
Why did I not know years ago which ones are best and how to spot the difference :oops: ?

Thanks lads for the info I will fit it with confidence.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:51 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

'Elring' were always talked about by Sprintspares. Rimmers had a sale many years ago and they were selling Elring gaskets at £9 each; I used my last one on the Quicksprint's engine. Are they still made? There is one on CAB which I used to use hard and daily...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:18 am 
Quote:
'Elring' were always talked about by Sprintspares. Rimmers had a sale many years ago and they were selling Elring gaskets at £9 each; I used my last one on the Quicksprint's engine. Are they still made? There is one on CAB which I used to use hard and daily...
Elring is a German gasketfactory and still excists but does not produce the Sprint gaskets anymore for 15-20 years. These were the OE gaskets Triumph used. All the Elrings you can find are old stock. These are good quality but I think the modern Payen is better. The material of the modern Payen is better than an Elring of 20 years old.

Jeroen Rothman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:51 am 
It only just occurs that I had to idea of varying gasket designs when I did mine a couple of months back. I got it from Robsport though so maybe it's the prfered type

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:13 pm 
Quote:
The 'good quality' gasket is the very same one I got off eBay in the top end set when I did my headgasket.

Same as mine :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:23 pm 

In conclusion I think we all need to be aware that there are many cheap imitations of all sorts of parts and while these may be good enough for a "garage" potato car or one that just potters about they are not suitable for cars that are going to be used to their limits.

I rejected a whole set of hoses from Rimmers due to the fact that they were substandard for ANY car as they had no fabric in them and blew up like balloons :( , in fact my bottom hose is from a scrapyard BMW.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:29 pm 
How about a copper gasket
http://www.ferriday.co.uk/copper/copper.shtml

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:41 pm 
Quote:
I rejected a whole set of hoses from Rimmers due to the fact that they were substandard for ANY car as they had no fabric in them and blew up like balloons :( , in fact my bottom hose is from a scrapyard BMW.
Some of them don't. Those are reinforced ones with the partnumberwrap still on it :woohoo:

At my work i have a Gates catalogue with all the hoses they have. There are pictures of the hose and the lenght and dia. Very usefull of finding hoses for a car. Also the heaterhoses with various curves are in it. They must have these catalogues in the UK also.

Jeroen