The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:11 am 
Does anyone have any photos of a Toledo or Dolly with it's roof painted a different colour to the rest of the body?
Or even have an opinion about whether it can work or not?

Probably seems a strange request I know,and but I am trying to visualise my car with a painted roof.
My car has just undergone a colour change, sensibly I have gone for a colour just as bright and 'Marmite' as the Java Green 8)....a risky option
My dilemma is that I think the new colour needs a contrast, darker colour with it to really make it work (i.e. bl**dy h*ll it's bright!)
I am thinking just the roof, not the C pillars.
I like the idea of a darker colour for the roof but with poor photoshop skills I just cannot quite visualise it enough to be sure.
I am sure there have been a few cars in the past that have gone with this approach, I just can't find any photos online.
This is the nearest I have come up with, painted black roof but this looks much like a vinyl roof in the black.

Before anyone points out the obvious, yes, a vinyl roof would be an option, but for me not really being a vinyl roof fan....sorry :oops:

Oh, and yes, I am being very cagey about the new colour. A few of you guys on here know the new colour already but I want to leave it to a grand revealing on here so it will provoke a reaction.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:25 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

I'm contemplating a black and white vinyl check roof and pillars...
Iirc, isn't there a Toledo on here half purple and half a dull yellow colour?

New colour? I hope it's Orange...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:06 am 
TDC Member

If you can rummage through the forum, Benoit in France had a blue car with a black and white check roof if you want to see what the effect looks like. I always thought it rather good. 8)

There are also a couple of sets of racing pictures in the Motorsport thread that Scott put up eons ago that show some race Sprints with coloured roof treatments. IIRC there is a metallic bright blue with silver roof, a metallic red with silver, and (I think) an orange with black. There is also a gold with red roof.

Have a nose about - they are in there somewhere.

As a one colour chap, I personally think you are barmy, but nowt queer as folk, as they say..... :wink:

2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE PHEV
2021 Dacia Duster 1.3 TCe
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2021 Honda Cross Tourer Highlander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:12 am 
Give me a few days and I'll knock something up for you alyolympic. :mrgreen:

I make photoshop my um... bitch so to say :P we're talking five years under my belt :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:14 am 
Only one I can offer was this "spotted" early Toledo with a white roof.

Not a good picture I know. :|

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:49 am 
Okay, blowing my cover here, better to gather opinions up front, rather than make a silly mistake.....guess I am questioning my own gut feel.

So, the car is...........

Orange indeed

and this is a poor attempt at Photoshoping a Grey roof. I like it!
????? how about you lot?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:13 am 
AHEM!

First thing that jumped into my head when I saw the car. Sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:13 am 
TDC Member

I like the tangerine colour. 8) :D

As for roof, I think maybe a silver or a metallic grey. Have a look at Lotus 'titanium' and Nissan 'urban quartz'. Vauxhall also did a nice metallic grey on the Omega some years ago.

BMW 'sterling grey' is a lovely colour, but may be a smidge too dark.

2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE PHEV
2021 Dacia Duster 1.3 TCe
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2021 Honda Cross Tourer Highlander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:24 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

Does this heap of junk count? Bought it for £80 a few years back and it literally crumbled to pieces on my drive. Who'd have thought white, brown and gold would make a car look this good. Before anyone comments it was terminally rotten.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:46 am 
That looks brilliant in orange Al, one of my favorite colours for an old car. If it was me I'd leave the roof and put a standard Sprint pinstripe on it in black to break it up a little. If you decide to paint the roof go with a dark metallic grey and match the pinstripe to that. The Retro cars article a few months back had one in orange and black if that helps. I had a Sunbeam Ti some time ago in orange and with the factory stripes and all the trim in black it looked really good

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:22 pm 
Land rover bonatti grey( as used on the defender) would suit the roof IMO. Then if you're still using the alleycats you could get them done the same colour and polished. Orange looks cool. Looking forward to seeing this as a finished article.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:31 pm 

Very nice that is..excellent choice! Always wanted to see that classic shape in Orange, as Topaz (Stag) is my fave Triumph colour. Not sure about the Grey..seems to be everywhere at the mo. How about very, very dark Brown metallic? As used on Mk1 Granada's...lovely colour. Goes with Orange too..might remind people of Jaffa cakes tho.. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:40 pm 
TDC Events Officer

http://www.colormatters.com/colortheory.html

Would suggest a really strong blue would go well.

I'd just be thinking of running black racing stripes over the top of the whole car. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:52 pm 
Yeah, I'd have thought a strong, fairly dark blue would work quite well, especially if you got matching sprint stripes and wheel spokes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:53 pm 
Cool colour........ Tango!!!

A white roof might look quite good. Sort of hope to do this to Nellie at some point in the future.

Nice seats :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: