The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: TYRE SIZES FOR 1500 HL
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:06 am 
TDC Member

I need to replace the Goodyear tyres on my 1500HL due to perishing and age which is a shame as the tyres have good tread, and i have been offered a set of either 155/65 or or 165/70 13 tyres would these be ok on the standard rims, and would they be ok as far as the rolling radius is concerned and the speedo reading being ok, I would like to fit a bit wider as i think that the standard 155 are a bit narrow but if i have to refit that size then so be it,is it 155/80 these days? . What is the max size that will fit the standard rim 4.5j x 13 out of interest? any ideas suggestions will be helpful

Post subject: I am........
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:18 am 
TDC Member

Fairly sure that 175/70 x 13 is the same rolling radius as 155/80 x 13.

If you want to improve stability, fitting different wheels to fill the arches more is necessary I feel.
I have Minator wheels (supplied by Rimmer Bros) and Vredstein 175/70 x 13 tyres on my car along with
Superflex bushes and standard springs/shock absorbers. It corners well and has positive handling.

Does a 1500HL have an anti roll bar on the back? These improve stability.
If the suspension bushes/joints/shocks etc are worn changing wheels/tyres will be compromised.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:29 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

I have 175/70's on 4.5J rims on one of mine. It isn't the best as it makes the steering a tad heavy, but the gearing/rolling radius is almost identical.

The guy on minty lamb does a cracking tyre size and gearing calculator and there is a Rove SD1 guy who has the same. You can google it easilly enough.

I reckon 165/70's would also be okay but would reduce the gearing a little. that being said I find old Triumph speedos tend to under read a bit as they get older, so that's no bad thing. The rev counter is usually a bit more accurate and you can always callibrate both against a sat nav.

I still reckon the 5.5J Sprint alloys and 175/70 is the best combo but the SE wheels may also be good as they are 5 J I think, so would work well with 175/70's

Jonners