The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: resto
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:26 pm 
im actually looking forward to doing this. im sure that will change but at the moment its good. i have all the interior out and i have got the heater box, prop, rear anti roll bar and the washer bottle off so far :lol:
my grandpa is learning to weld so welding will be free except for wire and gas. and steel obviously.
wish me luck:P
richi

Post subject: george
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:57 pm 
how much welding does it need unless your going to do the same as the bug of my sons (he's got another car and of course i'm there to show him as well)but think in your case i'd do a rolling resto just do enough to keep you roadworthy and give your grandpa a bit of time to himself inbetween assaults on the welding (and no loss of intrest)
and it will at least give you time to trawl around the country for bits for the next bit of the resto and as it's your first project you gain experience
and will not get disheartned by it beeing stuck in the garage for weeks/months

Post subject: annoying.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:24 pm 
i just want to get it done. i mean i seem to be taking 2 steps forward and lk 9 back. i just keep finding that theres more. so id like to just do it and get it done now. my grandpa wont get bored:)
i think i am going to respray it myself.
richi

Post subject: george
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:51 pm 
it's not a lack of interest on your grandpa's part i was thinking about :idea: it's the fact it's your car and i think as it's your first real attempt at doing this type of job on a car and it's a bit of an undertaking to go to a resto job are you going to go right to the bare shell?
as i say many would be put off by the sheer scale that type of job i have done them as body shell jobs and on a new car it would take about 30 hours or more to transfer all the bits (a lot more on a rr / lr) dont forget the frozen bolts it's all time
and good luck to you if your stuck just give me a shout
painting is straight forward with the right gear (wait for flack from painters )

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:57 pm 
for the advice. will keep it all in mind. i darnt say i will be calling you at some point.
im taking it back as far as i think nessersary. every bubble will be investigated so on.
richi