The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 612 Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:43 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

ello mate

Im sure the crisps garage is still in knodishall, i went through there not long ago.

Anyway this is the sticker that is in my rear window:

Keep up the good work

All the best

Darren

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:06 pm 
TDC Member

Mine originally came from Bernard Mires & Co., Walton, Street , Somerset. in 1980, I've seen the original sales ledger, was taken back in PX and sold to my Dad in 1985, I have the sales receipt. Dad gave me the car in 1988, I'v had it since then. Still got the original number plates with Bernard Mires & Co. on them. Its nice to know the entire history of a car, just need to get it back on the road now :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:29 pm 
TDC Member

I just remembered I have this too:

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:39 pm 
TDC Member

Mine was supplied by Argyle Garage in Whitby, they're still there although only used cars now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:40 pm 
So... We have a good base of info and a good strong list ( i feel anyway )of various distributors and dealers though out.

Would (Could) this be a good time to make another thread,making that into a sticky,full of information? all in correct order and information laid out with the corresponding dealer etc.

(if possible, In the new thread,I can re-organize the list into order. including info posted by members on dealer info etc,will be added into the list.
Where then,members can post info in replies underneath(the main) list we have built so far,then these can be added into the list and replies removed?
(a thanks will be said to the members who have posted the information).

Opinions please

Rob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:03 pm 
TDC Notts,Derby & Leics Area Organiser

A few more fore you Rob:
My old 1500 HL was supplied by Hatfields of Sheffield. They're still going,but deal in Jaguar and Jeep. I have a rear window sticker that I can upload when I figure out how.
I believe the rival Sheffield dealer was Kennings-they had showrooms on Shoreham Street(which is now a cinema called strangely enough "The Showroom Cinema"),and on Tenter Street,where I remember going to for the launch of the Austin Maestro. They also had a branch in Chesterfield,and I remember going there to order a new chassis leg for the 1500 HL that came from Hatfields.
I've recently found out that my current Sprint was supplied new by White's of Scunthorpe (in 1976),who in turn got the car from Duff Morgan Vermont of Norwich.
Hope this is helpful to you.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:09 pm 
Many thanks for the information added!

This will be added to the list in due course ;)

its quite interesting when you find your car has come from a certain dealership and you begin frantically searching for more information :lol:

Rob :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:23 pm 
Below is the Lamb's Limited 'school of motoring' service they offered.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:59 pm 
Thanks once again for the information Steve!

I have to say,I am pretty impressed by the enthusiasm surrounding this thread. and endless supply of information and lots of photographs.

Currently working on a "google maps" photo of the UK - locating the dealerships and distributors that we have in the list so far.

I will upload when finished.

Seems to have been a very busy time for the Triumph,Rover,Triumph dealerships at the time. :lol:

Thanks again :) any information people may have,photo's of press information etc please upload any photo's and share any information available.

Rob:)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:48 am 
I’ll post info on the Loughton and Woodford Green branches a little later, which have a lot more info, but here is info on 2 of the Lamb’s dealerships.

Brentwood

The Brentwood branch dates from around 1969 and dealt in Austin, Morris, MG and Wolseley. They were not a massive branch, but did offer parts and some accessories. They also had a servicing workshop and offered a breakdown recovery service during normal working hours only. There was a petrol pump situated at the front of the dealership. The Brentwood branch closed down in 1978 and the site was taken over by IML, a Toyota dealer. Then, in 1982 the site changed hands again to a Datsun/Nissan dealer. This dealer ceased trading at the old Lamb’s site in 1991, and the site became derelict for several years. During the mid 1990s, the entire complex was demolished and in its place now stands flats.

Hornchurch

I really know very little about the Hornchurch dealership. The Hornchurch branch was situated on Southend Arterial road on the A127. I understand that the Hornchurch dealership dates from around 1965 and was strictly a Triumph dealer. The Hornchurch branch was a distributor and they too offered petrol sales, breakdown service (normal working hours only) and servicing and repairs. I believe there were several garages trading along the A127 and I cannot be sure what exactly became of the Lamb’s site. I do know that the Lamb’s Hornchurch branch ceased trading in 1981.

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:58 pm 
Talking of Lambs...I came across another one of their Dolomites this morning which still was wearing it's sticker;

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:23 pm 
Here's another for you, Rob. This in the back window of a certain Honeysuckle Toledo that should be recognised by a few forum members from up this way on both sides of the Border.
The Toledo and many other cars are in my "Brunton Airfield, 2011" piccie thread which will be appearing here as soon as I've finished uploading some of the 200 images I came away with.

That dealer sticker:

Please forgive the quality, I managed yet again to go to a show sans camera so these are all from my phone. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:03 pm 
:shock: good quality lankesters sticker.

thanks for taking the time to take the photo John!

A huge thank you goes out to everyone who have helped this thread with information and stickers!
We do have a rather nice list of dealers and distributors including information of certain dealerships and area specific dealers too.
(also might just be able to win an ebay acution on a Triumph Sales and Service Directory book) - ends in 23hours. sent a message to the seller which he admitted it DOES include information of dealerships and distributors and service garages from 1969 through the dolomite years too.
So will post up with info when and if possible.

Do you guys think i should edit the first post i made to this thread and add and correct information and include all information and photographs to the specific dealer and organize it so its easy to keep up with all the names and info?

Rob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:25 pm 
TDC Member

Put the year of the source too, they changed about over time do to have the year next to the names would be handy :)

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:38 pm 
Lamb's of Loughton

Lamb's of Loughton were situated at 161 High Road in Loughton, Essex. The Loughton branch started trading in 1973/74. They were dealers in Jaguar, Rover and Triumph cars and were a relatively small outlet, however they still offered servicing and repairs, breakdown service and petrol sales. The Loughton branch was last Lamb's dealership to close down in 1983. The buildings have been demolished and as I understand it, the site became a car park during the 1980s. In September 2004, the site was sold to Marks and Spencer. Before Lamb's took over the site, it used to be Patmore Bros Limited, itself a Triumph dealer. I have been told that the Loughton branch (and the Woodford Green branch) was owned by Gerald Lamb. Other Lamb's dealerships were owned by another member of the family.

Lamb's of Woodford Green

Lamb's of Woodford Green dates from as early as 1945 and was a quite a large dealership, easily the largest within the Lamb outlets. The Woodford Green branch (not to be confused with the Lamb's Wood Green branch in Finchley) was situated at Standard House, Southend Road in Essex. There were two main buildings as I understand it, and were kinda Art Deco in appearance, on the left, facing the complex was the showroom with a tall tower on the right hand side of the showroom. The tower featured a clock and had the Lamb's name down the sides of the tower. The right hand side building was the servicing, repair and parts and accessories department. The forecourt was large and housed many cars. The Woodford outlet dealt in Morris, MG, Triumph, Rover, Land Rover and Wolesley.

The Woodford branch offered a host of services including an all night breakdown service called their 'night rescue service', an automatic car wash facility, driving tuition with a choice of automatic and manual cars. Other services included a 'self car hire scheme', which was at a special cost for the customer while their car was being serviced or repaired. Bodywork repairs, a huge range of spares and accessories which included Unipart, radio's and hi-fi's, this one was interesting because they featured a radio centre for car or home! They also offered a 24 hour petrol sales service, the only Lamb's branch to do so. However the petrol station was separate to the main complex, being situated across the road.

By the 1960s Lucas Electrical appeared on the scene, a few doors down from the Woodford branch. In between Lucas and Lamb’s was L and G Auto Services, it was this company that carried out the Dinitrol rust treatment (not Lamb’s) when the car was new.

The Woodford Green branch closed down in late 1979. The Lamb’s buildings and those of Lucas and L and G Auto Services have been demolished. I did hear that the site, following closure became a car park. However the Lamb’s site has since became a Tesco’s supermarket. Factories and warehouses now stand where Lucas and L and G Auto Services once were. The petrol station still stands, I believe it is now a shell station.

Somewhere I have a Lamb’s advert with an artists impression of the complex, I'll try and find it and post it later.

Hope this has been of some interest

Steve

Last edited by VYO 372M on Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 612 Next