The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:21 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 712 Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:54 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
L and G Auto Services
IIRC this was a joint venture with the Gates the local Ford dealer (hence L & G) and it did all the bodywork and accident repairs for both dealers. It moved from those premises around the corner into Chigwell Road, behind a petrol garage. Was there until recently, not sure if it still is. Gates are still going, but closed their Woodford premises, one of which is now Waitrose, the other appartments. I bought parts from both Woodford, and Loughton Lamb's when they closed. Had the chance of an apprenticeship at Lamb's Woodford, but did better for myself, went to college with some of their blokes though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:08 pm 
TDC Member

My 1500hl came from Bernard Miers & co of Walton, near Steet, Somerset; have the original bill of sale, and had a look for the place when I was in that part of the UK this summer. Saw a sign on the wall for Bernard Miers but no trace of a dealers and workshop any more
Alan Graham
N Yorks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:37 am 
TDC Member

When Henlys Catford branch was sold for redevelopment in late 1980 (about three months after the launch of the Metro), Triumph business in south east London was transferred to BL main dealer Sargeant & Collins of Bickley Road, Bickley. With the demise of Rover, the Bickley site was later redeveloped as Stephen James BMW, which it remains today.

Kirkdale Motors vanished before Henlys in 1977/8.

2021 Land Rover Discovery Sport HSE PHEV
2021 Dacia Duster 1.3 TCe
1963 Austin A40 Rally Car
2021 Honda Cross Tourer Highlander

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:18 pm 
Don't forget P J Evans of B'ham, IIRC they were in Inge Street, careful how you say it, there is no M in Inge :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:06 am 
Could some sort of wiki be created on the main TDC site? I'd wondered for a while whether this could be a solution for things like common fault fixes and instruction pages but it strikes me that for this one would be ideal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:12 am 
Quote:
Could some sort of wiki be created on the main TDC site? I'd wondered for a while whether this could be a solution for things like common fault fixes and instruction pages but it strikes me that for this one would be ideal
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:16 am 
Quote:
Quote:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

As with all things internet, it is possible if someone has the time to keep the site maintaned and on topic.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:50 am 
There was, a 'what to look for first time buyer' link on the TDC main page but it now links to the forum which I guess brings more users here which leads to a lot of repeated questions as there no stickys or a obvious search button, iirc the origianl site had a proper what to look for list but as been said many time this is a free site and it takes a lot of Andys time to keep it in check let alone adding extra tabs, search functions etc.
Im looking forward to there being a dealers section/ site/blog as that will imo interest everyone form 1300 to sprint owners.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:04 am 
Quote:
There was, a 'what to look for first time buyer' link on the TDC main page but it now links to the forum which I guess brings more users here which leads to a lot of repeated questions as there no stickys or a obvious search button, iirc the origianl site had a proper what to look for list but as been said many time this is a free site and it takes a lot of Andys time to keep it in check let alone adding extra tabs, search functions etc.
Im looking forward to there being a dealers section/ site/blog as that will imo interest everyone form 1300 to sprint owners.

I Hope to have the blog setup tomorrow evening. Ready for the information being posted! It will be a Free blog (hopefully when funds allow,become a properly hosted website with a good domain name) I would Help Andy out with hosting,site running and moderation etc. But With having to find work,working on the car,dealership info,car shows along with other family commitments I just don't have the time available.

I will post here when the blog is up and running,with a direct link to the page.

Suppose when Andy has a moment spare - he could post a direct link to the information blog - on the main homepage of TDC - might make his life a little easier.

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:34 pm 
Well the website's been setup!!

Still in the early stages of development but here is a link to the dedicated website

http://standard-triumph-motor-company-e ... .webs.com/

Suggestions,idea's bugs info and so on is still welcome with open arms! :)

Thanks

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:50 pm 

Rob, have you thought of approaching Keith Adams? His AROnline site would be the perfect place for the dealer info.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:58 pm 
Quote:
Rob, have you thought of approaching Keith Adams? His AROnline site would be the perfect place for the dealer info.
I made contact with Ketih a few weeks ago,But have had no response as yet. I may send him another Email within the next week.

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:01 pm 
Haven't seen any mention of the dealers my Dolomite came from, so thought you might be interested.

David Harrison Ltd
78/82 Haymarket Terrace
Edinburgh
EH12 5LH
(According to the stamp on the Supercover Temporary Membership Certificate.)

David Harrison traded in a number of locations in Edinburgh and they moved out of the Haymarket premises in 1976 (same year my car was sold) but survive today as a Ford dealer in Peebles and Galashiels.

I hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:07 pm 
Quote:
Haven't seen any mention of the dealers my Dolomite came from, so thought you might be interested.

David Harrison Ltd
78/82 Haymarket Terrace
Edinburgh
EH12 5LH
(According to the stamp on the Supercover Temporary Membership Certificate.)

David Harrison traded in a number of locations in Edinburgh and they moved out of the Haymarket premises in 1976 (same year my car was sold) but survive today as a Ford dealer in Peebles and Galashiels.

I hope this helps.
Thanks Tindog! much appreciated! :)

Rob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:29 pm 
My number plates still have the original blue dealership sticker on the bottom centre, I'll get a piccie when (if) I remember ;)

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 712 Next