The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:19 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:19 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
The Triumph Dolomite Club has set up a new scheme for young drivers in conjunction with Footman James Insurance. TDC members aged 17 - 24 can now get discounts previously only available to TSSC members. To obtain a quote please call Emma at Footman James on 0121 561 6264. Please make sure you state clearly that you are a Triumph Dolomite Club member (you will be asked to quote your membership number).
Club members aged 25 and over will also be able to obtain discounted rates with Footman James by quoting the code "ATDOL".
We've now been informed that Footman James and MOST other brokers are no longer able to offer classic car policies to drivers UNDER 21 years of age. Drivers over 21 and below 25 MAY still be able to get classic car insurance provided that they have access to another car (e.g. a partner's or parents car, or possibly their own everyday car not already on classic car insurance) and are members of the recognised owners club for the car. Apparently the underwriters are getting wise to the fact that (understandably perhaps?) young drivers are trying to reduce their enormous premiums on modern cars by buying classic cars and insuring them on far cheaper classic car policies. Insurers are trying to ensure that young drivers owning classic cars are "genuine enthusiasts". However, we understand that this situation may be resolved in the coming weeks and months as the market settles down after the recent price rises. Footman James are trying to source policies with different underwriters and will inform us of any developments.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:06 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
We've now been informed that Footman James and MOST other brokers are no longer able to offer classic car policies to drivers UNDER 21 years of age...... Insurers are trying to ensure that young drivers owning classic cars are "genuine enthusiasts".
So are they suggesting that no under-21s are genuine enthusiasts? A sad state of affairs at a time when we need to be doing our utmost to attract younger enthusiasts into the scene :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:00 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Nick, back in 1985 when I was 21 for the first time, the situation was much the same but now, as then, there's really not a problem since mainstream insurers can and do offer agreed value policies based on - among other sources of information - the Practical Classics price guide.
PKE was insured on just that basis and I had no trouble with the claim back in 2009 when some fool in a large modern car did the old Dolomite some damage.
That it was actually the 3rd party's insurer who met my claim was perhaps even more encouraging as they were very mainstream and yet had no problem with accepting PC's value of the car along with a valuation form provided by a car club.

So maybe a spot of lateral thinking will find the logical solution which isn't, IMHO, about the fact that "Cherished car" policies won't be available for younger drivers, but that such policies offer no NCB and tend to be limited in other ways when compared to mainstream policies.
Once you become a little older, then there's not even a cost advantage with a cherished car policy, not in every case though obviously some shopping around is required as ever it was with car insurance.

There are exceptions too; Peter James - for example - allowed unlimited mileage and recognised NCB when I insured the Dolomite with them, but I mention that simply because they're not a waste of space rather than as a result of anything that changes the situation for the under 25s.
So in the meantime, insure on a regular policy, far better as you'll accrue NCB, you can agree a value on the car just the same and the premium will still be lower than you'd have to pay for a modern car.
Can't quite see the disadvantage. :?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote:
We've now been informed that Footman James and MOST other brokers are no longer able to offer classic car policies to drivers UNDER 21 years of age...... Insurers are trying to ensure that young drivers owning classic cars are "genuine enthusiasts".
So are they suggesting that no under-21s are genuine enthusiasts? A sad state of affairs at a time when we need to be doing our utmost to attract younger enthusiasts into the scene :(
Let's make one thing clear ; Footman James is an insurance BROKER. They sell policies on behalf of the insurance underwriters. Several brokers will often sell the same policies from an underwriter. It is the underwriters who are causing the problem, not the brokers. I'm sure that it is in the best interests of the brokers to sell as many policies as possible (that's how they earn their living) so they certainly wouldn't want to put their future earnings at put risk by trying to discourage young drivers from owning classic cars.
As far as this CLUB is concerned, we are doing our best to encourage younger enthusiasts to take up Dolomite ownership and we will be working with ALL of the insurance brokers who advertise in our magazine to see what can be done to resolve this (temporary) situation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:27 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Let's make one thing clear ; Footman James is an insurance BROKER. They sell policies on behalf of the insurance underwriters. Several brokers will often sell the same policies from an underwriter. It is the underwriters who are causing the problem, not the brokers.
Sorry, by "they" I meant the underwriters, not the brokers. I should have been more clear. I know full well that it isn't the brokers at fault, even though they usually end up getting the short end of the stick...

Luckily I'm now well over 25, so it isn't a problem for me, but I know there are several on this forum & others who are badly hit by this - guys who are getting quotes of 2-3 thousand on even the smallest of cars.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:35 pm 
I am wondering as to how they define "classic" car, is it in the sense of when we think of when we hear that description, we think of something 30+ years old, chrome bumpers, vinyl roof etc , or is it really a G plate Vauxhall Nova with big wheels and a loud exhaust?

Unless there is an official body for that model of car, ie: a owners club who can make a definitive description of a particular model, then I don't think they can make the discern and therefore lump all "old" cars in together and then label them as "classics"?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:22 pm 

Hi Guys, (First time poster, long time reader)

I've found it unbelievably hard to find classic car cover recently being only 19. no one would insure me with my Vitesse 2 Litre Mk1 due to the engine size.
So i emailed Peter James and got this reply regarding Classic cover for young drivers:

"Unfortunately, our underwriters have suspended us quoting for young drivers on classics, thus the reason for our comments yesterday, however, we can continue to offer cover for Triumphs and MG's only, therefore we are OK to arrange cover on your behalf."

They also said in another email that the MG or Triumph had to be older than 20 years old and have an Engine size of less than 1500cc.
Nevertheless, for them to give you the cover you need to a member of the TSSC (Triumph Sports Six club) or the MG equivalent, owners club.
Thats why I've had to join the TSSC.

Good news though as I go and collect a saphire blue 1972 Triumph Toledo on wednesday. I wanted to join this club, but peter james said that it had to be a TSSC club member.

Hope this help people out! :)

Jordan

1968 Morris Minor 1000 Traveller

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50249007@N02/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:25 pm 

Jordan, thank you for joining and contributing that post. It's very interesting to know what's going on with Insurers... Hopefully by the end of March, when I need to insure mine, this will all be sorted... Though I think Lancaster are one of the few that are still ok...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:42 pm 

Quote:
Good news though as I go and collect a saphire blue 1972 Triumph Toledo on wednesday. I wanted to join this club, but peter james said that it had to be a TSSC club member.

Jordan
Jordan! Gosh, who linked you to this site? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:59 pm 
Quote:
Jordan, thank you for joining and contributing that post. It's very interesting to know what's going on with Insurers... Hopefully by the end of March, when I need to insure mine, this will all be sorted... Though I think Lancaster are one of the few that are still ok...
Lancaster seem to be the exception to the rule at the moment.
I phoned up the other day about an estate Herald that's had a vittesse conversion, and they seemed more than happy to offer a full fat policy for the same price down to the penny as a slant-4 Dolly.
wouldn't be quite as pretty though which is somewhat depressing...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:02 pm 

Quote:
Quote:

Jordan
Well i thought as i'm getting the Tolly, i better sign up!!! More importantly What are you doing here???? Lol :lol:

1968 Morris Minor 1000 Traveller

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50249007@N02/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:32 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jordan
Well i thought as i'm getting the Tolly, i better sign up!!! More importantly What are you doing here???? Lol :lol:
What am I doing here? I can't remember why I actually originally joined, it may have been the lure of a light blue Toledo in Portsmouth, or it might have been the lure of 1500 engine experts when mine began drinking copious amounts of oil!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Having just spoken to Peter James of Peter James Insurance, I have been assured that Triumph Dolomite Club members will not be forced to join any other club in order to qualify for classic car policies with them. Drivers aged 17-24 will be able to obtain classic car insurance but it will be on a per case basis. It is unlikely that drivers under 21 years of age will be able to insure a Sprint or 1850 with Peter James, but anything under 1500cc shouldn't be a problem. As mentioned though, it will be down to individual circumstances, some drivers may qualify, some may not, so best to enquire.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:46 pm 
I have also just taken out a renewal with Footman James, got it nice and cheap too! £451.50 for my 1300 FWD, complete with a long list of mods!

Lancaster were also able to quote me, and I would have gone with them except that Footman James beat Lancaster's online quote by quite a bit!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:48 pm 

Quote:
I have also just taken out a renewal with Footman James, got it nice and cheap too! £451.50 for my 1300 FWD, complete with a long list of mods!

Lancaster were also able to quote me, and I would have gone with them except that Footman James beat Lancaster's online quote by quite a bit!
How old are you? (Notinacreepyway :P ).