The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:37 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Me too....

I have a couple of Sprint boxes to rebuild and it seems like a plan to get them as good as can be...oil leak wise.

Jonners

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:50 pm 

It is just on two years since I posted an update on the running of this car.

I had an amusing incident a few months back when I collected my now 101 year old mother from the local hospital to take her back to her little house where she still lives quite happily on her own. I pulled up into the no parking zone at the front door of the hospital and explained to the security chappie that I needed to leave the Dolomite unattended for a few moments and go and find mother. The signs all say that cars must not be left or parked at any time. He looked at me and remarked:

“Mate, with a car like that you can park here all day as far as I am concerned”!

I like fellows like him. Owning and driving a Dolomite does have its advantages!

One evening recently I had a phone call from what turned out to be a near neighbour whom I had not met before. He had just acquired a Dolomite Sprint and the previous owner had given him my contact details. He turned up here next morning and I was delighted to be able to pass over to him the odd bit he needed. I could not resist driving around to see his collection of cars a couple of hours later where the attached photo was taken. He has all but completed a total restoration of a Vitesse convertible which sits alongside a very original and tidy 2500 S. The Sprint sits very nicely with his collection.

Since my last update I have completed a Saturday panel beating course run at our local Polytechnic which is targeted at those undertaking restoration of cars of various types. I am now able to return to the Polytechnic and carry out any repairs I need to complete, utilising all the equipment available and more importantly, the skill and expertise of the highly experienced course tutors. Every Saturday there is a substantial group of people all working on various projects, ranging from the almost total reconstruction of early veterans through to much more modern machinery and working alongside these people means that I gain knowledge and experience that I find extremely useful.

My car has not seen a great deal of use these past few weeks for I have acquired a Mazda Bongo van, very handy for picking things up in. It has become a tow vehicle as I rescue cars from various places. It was used for the carrying some Toledo/Dolomite doors into the Polytechnic where I was able to remove the rust in the bottom of the door skins. We fabricated the parts required here for it has not been feasible to use some of the replacement panels available to the UK club members.

My Sprint was my daily driver until I acquired my van. I have now covered over 23,000 miles since I completed the restoration and got the car back on the road. We have had our minor hiccups since the last report as you might expect on any car which is now coming up to 45 years old.

A highly skilled mechanic friend of mine, Brian, was staying with me about the time I acquired the van and while he was here the Sprint developed a very odd misfire. Brian with all his years of experience identified that the distributor condenser needed replacing. One was procured locally and fitted and this transformed the car. It is the first time in more than 50 years of motoring that I have had to replace one.

The club carburettor alloy mounts were fitted some time ago and both Jonners and Jeroen advice was taken in setting up the carburettors. The engine seems to run smoother and has a nice gentle idle.

Soon after the van arrived I acquired not one but two Toledo’s. They sit alongside the collection in my shed which includes my Sprint and two more Sprints which I have mentioned elsewhere. More than enough projects to keep me busy for some time.

I am not sure though that I shall ever reach xvivalve - Alun’s tally of 19 odd Sprints but I can tell you that between gmsclassics - Geoff, we have the registration and chassis numbers of close to 50 Dolomite Sprints which reside in this country of which around 40 are still in existence.

I follow the postings on the forum with a great deal of interest and have been delighted to have made frequent contact with Alun, and in doing so have acquired several bits and pieces from Ted’s collection of parts which Alun has been selling on his behalf. Those bits have been and will be incorporated into the projects here and some have been passed onto others locally. It has been nice to be able to contribute to the much smaller forum community of Dolomite and Toledo owners who reside in this country.

I save the links to some of the forum posting and note the comments of others, such as Jon Tilson which almost invariably contain sound advice and which occasionally in the past I have ignored regretfully! I feel very sad though that I am not resident in the UK at this time for I would dearly love to be able to provide some real physical support to Jon as he battles with his illness.

Robert

Attachments:
20171214-6416Ptw Peter S Sprint.jpg
20171214-6416Ptw Peter S Sprint.jpg [ 440.05 KiB | Viewed 467 times ]

Post subject: Yeah.......
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:21 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks for the update Robert.

:D Looking good.

Ian.