The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: AWD dolomite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:47 pm 
TDC Member

Has anyone ever tried to make an AWD dolomite? I heard triumph did a rally car that was AWD but I'm looking for more power and maybe AWD if it doesn't ruin the handling

Post subject: Re: AWD dolomite
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:25 pm 
TDC Member

Google the Triumph Pony and a 4x4 Triumph is not quite such an odd thought! Only reason I know this was that I stumbled across this page over at Canley Classics http://www.canleyclassics.com/stanpart- ... d-gearbox/

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:36 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Google the Triumph Pony and a 4x4 Triumph is not quite such an odd thought! Only reason I know this was that I stumbled across this page over at Canley Classics http://www.canleyclassics.com/stanpart- ... d-gearbox/
I was more thinking of using more modern AWD system as I don't really want to use the 1500TC engine I have as its not the best of shape and I want to put some serious power down. I heard there was one on here that was using modern AWD but I don't know what type or what engine

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:25 pm 
TDC Member

Ah, well is this on the archive board what you was thinking? archive/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6452&p=5589 ... 4x4#p55896

Wonder if it got done or not, but it was cheating really, in the same way that a MG Metro 6R4 was actually a Metro. Now there's a thought, it would have to be a ladder frame chassis rather than a space frame one so an old 4x4 with lots of grunt, Range Rover?! :)

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:59 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Ah, well is this on the archive board what you was thinking? archive/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6452&p=5589 ... 4x4#p55896

Wonder if it got done or not, but it was cheating really, in the same way that a MG Metro 6R4 was actually a Metro. Now there's a thought, it would have to be a ladder frame chassis rather than a space frame one so an old 4x4 with lots of grunt, Range Rover?! :)
Ahhh, sounds very good. And if I were to start doing serious power, I probably would do the whole group A/5 thing by space framing the lot of it and putting the shell on top, similar to the zakspeed capri

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:58 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I like the way you think 8)
Just because no one has done it before does not mean you should not :wink: .

Pick a suitable donor and buy the complete vehicle because that is the only way to keep costs down.
I made a 4x4 sports car using a Sierra 4x4 as a donor, I raced it on grass back in Devon in 2001 and brought it up with me to Hampshire where I am now. I have this video of it before I sold it as I had lost my job and it went somewhere in Kent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UKvu-ukiR0
There will be problems but have a go 8)

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:03 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
I like the way you think 8)
Just because no one has done it before does not mean you should not :wink: .

Pick a suitable donor and buy the complete vehicle because that is the only way to keep costs down.
I made a 4x4 sports car using a Sierra 4x4 as a donor, I raced it on grass back in Devon in 2001 and brought it up with me to Hampshire where I am now. I have this video of it before I sold it as I had lost my job and it went somewhere in Kent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UKvu-ukiR0
There will be problems but have a go 8)
I figured there would be, I've got a 1500 TC which I'll probably mod with just an engine swap for more power so I could return it to stick when they start getting expensive. If I were going to go full space frame and group A, I'd get a sprint as they are more common and I can do what I want and not worry about parts. I'd probably use Sierra gearbox maybe, or skyline parts so I could use an RB engine either a 20 or a 25, that way I could mount the engine with the diff inline with the front wheels. I'd probably have to custom make everything so it would be rather expensive but would be brutally fast when done

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:22 am 
Wasn't DF toying with the idea of fitting EVO running gear to ALG1K, when he's finally finished his current project

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:20 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Wasn't DF toying with the idea of fitting EVO running gear to ALG1K, when he's finally finished his current project
I didn't hear about that, I thought he had already made it AWD?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:15 pm 
TDC Member

No, cossie engine RWD I believe.
If there was room for a transverse engine with take off for 4WD it would save a lot of hassle I reckon, but getting one in between the rails is going to be the issue. Celica Gt4 running gear would be good, and a ton cheaper than cossie stuff

Tony

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:22 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
No, cossie engine RWD I believe.
If there was room for a transverse engine with take off for 4WD it would save a lot of hassle I reckon, but getting one in between the rails is going to be the issue. Celica Gt4 running gear would be good, and a ton cheaper than cossie stuff

Tony
Would be easier to replace the whole front subframe and steering rack. Use a tubular subframe, MX5 steering rack so it can be mounted in front of the diff and not be where the diff should be, and if I'm making a tubular subframe, may as well change the suspension to use AWD hubs.

Making a Group 5 car like the zakspeed Capri with a dolomite would be interesting and then it could be better handling and it would work as it could use parts from AWD cars, like a diff mounted to a sump deals with the problem of the engine being in the way

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:59 pm 

Quote:
Making a Group 5 car like the zakspeed Capri with a dolomite would be interesting and then it could be better handling and it would work as it could use parts from AWD cars, like a diff mounted to a sump deals with the problem of the engine being in the way
Wahoo wife Diane and I went to Donnington when these 2 Zakspeed capri's raced in a modsports race and they destroyed the entire field. It was fantastic seeing flames shooting out their exhausts when they shut down for the corners and it was astonishing that such power could be generated from a mere 1400 cc. We last saw one at Goodwood Festival of Speed about 4 years ago.

They made a 4 wheel drive Stag back in the seventies using the Ferguson set up.

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:57 pm 

or you could go down the lancia delta hf 4x4,,if you can find one as a doner

Dolomite 1300,1980`V`reg in british racing brown(russet),3.63 diff with 21t speedo pinion,95%poly`d,HL clocks,standard wheels with SE covers wrapt in 175 70 13,mot`d 19-09-2014,been off the since 1990,(july2017) stainless steel exhaust 3-piece,(xmas2018) wooden mountney steering wheel,(june2020) new monroe shock(radial front,gas-matic rears) with -1" lower`d springs all round.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:44 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
or you could go down the lancia delta hf 4x4,,if you can find one as a doner
Problem with using cosworth running gear is that anything cosworth is expensive, and I wouldn't cut up a delta, too rare and deltas are cool. Buying individual skyline drivetrain parts will be cheaper that buying a skyline and it keeps the skylines on the road.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:58 am 
TDC Member

Trouble with skyline gtr stuff is the front diff is in the sump like a cossie and that long 6 pot will be a heavy old lump and space would be an issue.

Tony