The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:01 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:37 pm 
TDC Member

Any news when these will be available? Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We had some quality issues with some of these manifolds, some were a perfect fit first time, others needed to be returned to our supplier for adjustment. We think we've nailed them now, but each one will be trial fitted to a cylinder head before they are sold just to make sure that they fit properly.
We want some serious testing to take place before we order a new batch, that will take place next month. If members want one of these manifolds, get your orders in now and they should be ready before TDCIR in September (earlier delivery by arrangement possible).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

After extensive testing we're confident that any remaining issues with these manifolds have need been resolved and we are now taking orders for a new batch to be produced.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

To confirm four branch manifolds for FWD and OHV RWD models are available to order. RWD in stainless only £300. FWD in stainless £400, FWD in mild steel £300.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:27 pm 
TDC Member

I have not been able to contribute to this subject for some considerable time due to ill health.
I was interested in the different comments and would like to add my experiences.
My 1300fwd manifold did not fit very well, so I had to alter the bodywork on the outside of the footwell and also had to put a 'ding' into the manifold in the area to give clearance. Had to use a lever to pull the manifold flanges apart so they would fit over the studs. When I came to fit the inlet manifold, the heater-pipe fouled the new manifold so I had to cut it off and the heater-valve flange and re-pipe it around the manifold using copper water pipe and fittings and do away with the valve altogether. I had to use a reducer pipe from the new manifold to my existing stainless steel system.
After some considerable time I was able to start the car and the flanges were blowing badly as they had not been welded flat in relation to each other. I returned the manifold and it was re-worked by custom chrome an returned. I was disappointed with the finish as it was bright when new but was now blackened and scaly due to being heated up to high tempretures and flanges bend in a vice to try and correct them. The individual flange faces were now bent concave so I spent some hours filing them flat, but when fitted to the engine they still leaked as the flatness across the three flanges was still not correct. I went to Custom Chrome twice to try and understand the problem, my manifold did not fit the welding fixture and I felt that they were not clamped correctly during the welding process, they also informed me that they did not do the welding, but sub-contracted it out, so goodness knows what controls were in place. When welding a pipe and flange, you need to put four spots around the joint so little heat is generated to distort the joint and the weld then built up from there, if you just weld continually around the joint it will distort badly. They fetched another manifold from stock which fitted the welding fixture, but the flanges were badly distorted - see photo's.
Explaining the pipe reduction between the manifold and existing exhaust, Custom Chrome said that the manifold would not give any improvement because of this reduction would not allow any flow improvement.
In light of this and my time spent on the project I requested my money back and only got it when I had return the manifold to Nuneaton for the third time. The cheque then arrived in an envelope on its own with no apologies or whatever. After talking to members in charge and by email, I feel I became a nusiance to the club.
I would like to hear other members experiences as surely I was not on my own?

Attachments:
P4200005a.jpg
P4200005a.jpg [ 69.15 KiB | Viewed 186 times ]
P4200004a.jpg
P4200004a.jpg [ 61.18 KiB | Viewed 186 times ]
P4200003a.jpg
P4200003a.jpg [ 80.35 KiB | Viewed 186 times ]
P4200002a.jpg
P4200002a.jpg [ 74.27 KiB | Viewed 186 times ]
P4200001a.jpg
P4200001a.jpg [ 83.85 KiB | Viewed 186 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:50 pm 
TDC Committee

Peter,
I'm obviously disappointed to hear of your experience, but please allow me to respond.
I know of 2 of these manifolds that have been fitted without any issues.

The pattern for the design was a genuine SAH manifold, loaned by a member, and even with a downsize restrictor would offer some gains.

I know that the manufacturer had some process issues in the manufacture, but understood that these had been resolved.

Again, the club made no profit on these, the price paid went straight to the manufacturer.

On my big 6 Triumph, with tubular manifolds, it is also necessary to spring the flanges apart to get the inlet in place, this is on 2 cars, which show the same condition, and in my experience, is not unusual with a fabricated manifold.

I cannot speak for the flanges, as the 2 I was involved in fitting did not show this issue, as doesn't the one in my garage for fitment to my own car.

I can only apologise if you felt let down by the service offered, but do have to stress that we were working with a supplier, and that any communications were through at least 2 levels of club, and supplier.

We do attempt to offer the best service we can, but we also have to fit this around day jobs as well.
Rgds

Bruce

1965 Triumph 2000 black and rust
1967 BSA B40wd green
2018 Jaguar E pace 2018
NOBODY expects the Canley Inquisition!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:38 am 
TDC Member

Bruce, I appreciate the clubs hard work and did not mean to imply otherwise. I only asked other members of their experiences, but as no replies, it seems it was my bad luck to have two 'bad' ones.
Regards
Pete

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pete, we have been quite open and honest about this project. As stated earlier in the discussion (see below for reference) we had mixed results at first. Some were spot on, others less so, but all of the issues were resolved one way or another. I'm perfectly happy with the RWD one fitted to my car, the issue which I had with it initially turned out to be a split elsewhere in the system, nothing to do with the manifold itself.
As Bruce mentioned, there are small power gains to be had simply by bolting on the manifold, but to achieve larger power gains the unit it must be used in conjunction with a less restrictive exhaust, richer carb needles, free-flowing air filters etc etc and then set up on a rolling road for best results. We are not saying that the design of these manifolds is necessarily the very best for producing more power, we can't prove that, but our main reason for producing them was to address the issue of the lack of availability of new units (FWD). In the case of the RWD manifolds the driver was to eradicate the issue of the troublesome manifold-downpipe joint. In both cases we have achieved what we set out to do. We are genuinely sorry that the manifold didn't meet your expectations, that's very unfortunate. However, despite all the time, money and effort I personally (and others) put into this project, I'm actually quite happy with the result, certainly in the sense that the car seems so much more driveable now.
Quote:
We had some quality issues with some of these manifolds, some were a perfect fit first time, others needed to be returned to our supplier for adjustment. We think we've nailed them now, but each one will be trial fitted to a cylinder head before they are sold just to make sure that they fit properly.
We want some serious testing to take place before we order a new batch, that will take place next month. If members want one of these manifolds, get your orders in now and they should be ready before TDCIR in September (earlier delivery by arrangement possible).
Quote:
After extensive testing we're confident that any remaining issues with these manifolds have need been resolved and we are now taking orders for a new batch to be produced.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:08 pm 
TDC Member

Does that £300 include postage?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No it doesn't. We have never posted one before, all of the units sold so far have been delivered to customers at shows, or passed via "the Dolly Network". We could enquire about posting one if necessary.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:55 pm 
TDC Member

If you want one Marko im in Ladram Bay mid October and you can collect from there :)

Tony
Quote:
Does that £300 include postage?