The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please note that the above prices are for minimum runs of 10 RWD units or 10 FWD units. Prices will be considerably higher if we only order a couple of each. In order to make this happen we need those of you who expressed an interest in them to start putting hand in pocket. To reiterate, the Club will not be putting any markup on them, we will be selling them at cost price.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:03 am 
TDC Member

Put me down for an RWD one.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We are placing the order for manifolds THIS WEEK, both RWD and FWD. Hopefully they will be available for collection at TDCIR, otherwise shipping will need to be arranged. To secure a manifold we need a deposit of £60, the balance will be payable when the manifolds have been produced. PM me for details of how to pay. Please note that we will only order enough manifolds to fulfil pre-orders, we will not be ordering extras due to funding/storage issues.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:22 am 
TDC Member

I am pleased to say that I have ordered a stainless manifold for my 1300fwd.
I currently suffer from overheating and having work done to the head to try and overcome this, as one of the problems is under-bonnet excessive heat which creates fuel vapour starvation and clutch changing a pain.
Question: Should I 'wrap' the manifold to reduce heat from it from day one?
Thanks Pete

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

A quick update; the first FWD manifold has rolled off the production line and will be on display at TDCIR on Sunday. The rest of the FWD manifolds will be produced over the next couple of weeks.
We are having a few teething problems with the RWD version and so sadly, the test car complete with manifold will not be at TDCIR. However, we expect these issues to be resolved next week and full scale production of the RWD units will begin.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another update; the FWD manifolds are almost finished and we'll be contacting customers shortly to take payment and arrange delivery.
The RWD manifold is still not quite ready but it's hoped that the issues with the prototype will be resolved in the next week or so.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Another update;
FWD manifolds are all done and are on their way to customers (if we haven't contacted you to make arrangements yet, we soon will do).

RWD Manifolds; the prototype has been fitted to a car, tweaked, refitted, tweaked some more and finally refitted. By all accounts it works wonderfully, though the carbs will need adjusting to get the best performance from it.
The rest of the RWD manifolds will now be manufactured shortly and we'll contact customers when they are ready.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:17 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Another update;
FWD manifolds are all done and are on their way to customers (if we haven't contacted you to make arrangements yet, we soon will do).

RWD Manifolds; the prototype has been fitted to a car, tweaked, refitted, tweaked some more and finally refitted. By all accounts it works wonderfully, though the carbs will need adjusting to get the best performance from it.
The rest of the RWD manifolds will now be manufactured shortly and we'll contact customers when they are ready.
Woohooo!

Well done guys, it's obviously been a significant challenge but brilliant news. Really looking forward to getting and fitting this.

"Bodging old Triumphs since 1983."
Member no. 2017038

Toledo MOY579L (brown 2-door)
and previously...
Dolomite Sprint xxxyyyM (yellow)
Toledo JJB923K (burgundy 2-door)
Dolomite xxxyyyT (blue 1850HL)
Dolomite TRX773M (white 1850)
Dolomite xxxyyyR (white 1500HL)
Toledo YRO318K (burgundy 2-door )

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:51 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The FWD manifolds were all completed and sent off to customers. The RWD manifolds are now ready and we'll contact customers shortly. The prototype unit works very well and is a great fit!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:56 pm 
TDC Member

How are the other people who bought manifolds getting on, what do you think of it? Particularly anyone else with a Toledo/Dolomite...

VMTIA

Member no. 2017038

and previously...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It would be fair to say that the quality control has been a bit hit and miss; some of the manifolds we had made were spot on, some weren't. In fairness though, the RWD manifolds were designed from scratch and perhaps a little more development should have been put into them before we started selling them. I have issues with the one on my own car, but the manufacturer is willing to put it right. The bottom line though is that any outstanding problems will be rectified. The Club has invested in the tooling to make more of these manifolds (both FWD and RWD) in the future, but a little bit more "fine tuning" needs to be done.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:14 pm 
TDC Member

Hi, yes, thanks. To be clear, I am NOT trying to cause trouble. The manufacturer has shown a really positive and constructive approach, has been very quick to acknowledge issues, and readily agreed to take mine back and remedy them. I have it back now and the overall appearance of the joints is much improved.

There is however still an issue with the alignment of the flanges onto the head; a thick gasket and "enthusiastic" clamping MIGHT take it up, but I won't really know without clamping it up and starting the engine.

I just wanted to know if it was just me...

Member no. 2017038

and previously...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No it's not just you, as mentioned above, I have a similar issue. Having invested my own time and money (I'm a paying customer too, by the way) in this project, I have an incentive to make sure that these manifolds are right and that customers are happy. I should also re iterate that there is no mark up on these, we are selling them at cost price.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:25 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks - I do appreciate that you have invested personally and that the club is getting nothing directly out of this other than an obvious benefit to those members who have pitched in. And at a price that is - for a good quality piece of work - as keen as a puppy seeing its first squirrel.

All of which says it would be (in line with my instinctive reaction) a bit unreasonable to send it back again now for what might in the end be ok.

Member no. 2017038

and previously...

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:40 pm 
TDC Member