The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:17 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:09 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Laughter the best medicine,

also the best part of the old Readers digest.

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:38 am 
TDC Member

Very glad on the positive outcome Jon, wishing you all the best :D

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 11:07 pm 
Hi Jon, I've been out of small Triumph circulation for a while. However, as of Thursday I shall be back in the fold courtesy of the LWT! Third time lucky!

I was saddened to read of your illness and am heartened that you are making significant progress. Hopefully the liver guy is also a Dolomite fan, if he's removed a Sprint water pump gubbins then a bit of liver is but a breeze.

As someone who has and still is going through some long term health issues, I can only repeat the positive comments about the NHS (I might be a bit biased being an NHS worker lol).

Long may you be with us and just look after yourself.

Need anything..... just shout.

The very best wishes to you and your family.

Ken

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 11:15 pm 

Thanks Ken and good to see you back....

Jon

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 1:13 pm 
:D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:01 pm 

Hi Guys...

Well the cancer roller coaster continues with its ups and downs as it tends to do.
In my case the recent PET/CT scan has shown some pretty disappointing results.
The cancer continues to spread and grow in its current spots. The upshot is that the 1st stage chemo has been pretty ineffective.

My oncologist will therefore be changing my drug regime as of Monday. Lets hope this one works and the liver surgeon can still
do something. I have yet to hear from him, but I expect to next week.

Thanks again everyone for your continued good wishes and support.

More news as and when I have it....

Jonners

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:21 pm 
TDC Member

Hi Jon, Sorry to hear that first concoction isn't working as well as it should. Don't worry, these days they have many other combinations they can try. It's just a question of finding the right one. I always remember my colleague Roger who had a similar thing and here he is 20 years on fighting fit with no sign of recurrence.
All the very best,
Tony.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:51 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

hi jon,
as a newby to the forum, i have only just found this thread.
in my area being a "coffin dodger" on my 60th birthday i had to send a stool sample off as well :shock:
this was only after much head pecking from wife.
this found inconclusive items. so then it was camera ect up exhaust. (just hope they cleaned it before anyone had it the other way) pre cancerous polyps were found and were removed at the same time.
so yes dont ignore letters :wink: i had no symptems so it was caught very early :D
the most embarasing part was after they filled me full of air for one part of the "test" was when they pulled the plug out, and i let rip with a fart that was off the "richter scale" and echoed around the theatre :oops: and a nurse shouted "good shot" as something fell off a trolley at the same moment :lol:
so jon, thank you for your tips re my dolly (which i will let you and others know what happens) and i will remember you in my prayers, and most of all "keep laughing" :lol: :lol:
and good luck,
cheers, tony.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:07 pm 

I console myself with the knowledge that as the primary was on the ascending side of the large sigmoid colon its unlikely a stool sample
would have found anything untoward....so ignoring it made no difference.

Glad it worked for you, and I urge any more of us baby boomers to follow this better example....:-)

More tea vicar...

Jonners

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:10 am 

Never give up Jon, we all know someone who has gone through a terrible time and is still with us years later.
What you need is someone in the medical world that knows as much about your body as you do about Dolomites!
Love the vicar joke :lol:

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:15 am 

A few things have happened on the medical side but best to start with a message of thanks for all your good wishes, prayers, cards
and other means of support.

Since my last post I completed 4 sessions of the drug regime known as oxaliplatin and tomidex. This is pretty standard protocol for bowel cancer spread as secondaries and I can't fault my oncologist for her care and treatment. She's been great.

However she was pessimistic after my last PET/CT but wanted me to go on to a new 3rd line drug called lonsurf. Dont all rush to look these up based on my spelling. They sometimes make for depressing reading, these internet articles.

Yesterday I saw the liver surgeon Professor Jiao, and his take is rather different. Spread to other sites seems to have been contained by the drug, if not completely cured. The sites are small, and not that active - we can deal with them later - his words. Progress of the disease in my liver is still happening, but still not beyond surgery.

So the upshot is I get 2 surgeries. Surgery 1 is scheduled for 2 weeks tomorrow. Surgery 2 will be in December. The 1st one deals with the small "mets" in the good side of my liver and restricts the blood supply to the bad side while boosting the supply to the good side. Then the second one cuts out the bad bits. 1st one takes an hour and I'll be in for 3 days and second takes 4 hours and I'll be in for a week - 10 days. The surgeon makes it all sound quite straightforward, which I'm sure is not the case but does inspire a degree of confidence.

I feel this is a very positive outcome and now looks a much better prospect than a 3rd line drug and then possible trials.

Obviously 2 more ops is a bit scary, especially given the serious nature of the second but there it is.

I'm sure your continued support in all its forms will continue to be as special and valuable to me as its been up to now...

I'm not doing this on my own.

Jonners

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:21 am 

Wishing you the best of luck as always.

If you get bored in the hospital, just give a shout, and I'll send you some carbs
or a gearbox to keep you occupied.

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:46 pm 

I hope this next round of treatment works. I recently lost my dad to lung cancer so I can relate to your situation. Have you considered any "alternative" treatments? You'd have nothing to lose if none of the "conventional" treatments work.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:07 pm 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

All the best Jonners

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:09 pm 
TDC Member

Good luck Jon, attitude is as much a winner as all of the expert care you're receiving.
Oh, can you make sure you have a good internet connection whilst in hospital? We need your input on the forum. :D