The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:21 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I know this has been done many times before but to be honest Im too lazy to trawl through the threads
so whats your opinion on poly bushing
is it worth doing
wich ones do you recomend
how much do they cost
can you choose the type of ride
easily fitted or does it require a press
cheers peoples

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:31 pm 
TDC Member

Superflex from Chris Witor Triumph. :posting:

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:40 pm 

Depends....

I just do a few on mine...drag strut to front subframe, subframe to body and rack mountings.

Always use the OE rose joint on the lower wishbone to sub frame too.

Jonners

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:09 pm 

Quote:
I know this has been done many times before but to be honest Im too lazy to trawl through the threads
is it worth doing
wich ones do you recomend
how much do they cost
cheers peoples
Have look at this thread
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32349

Mines all done front to back - I bought all my bushes from viamoto and saved myself a lot of money.

https://www.viamoto.co.uk/products.php? ... %26+Toledo

Dont buy the shock top bush they are useless - dont fit the domed washer correctly so I purchased these, 100% better.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-517985POLY

Paul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:33 pm 
TDC Member

Chris Witor is Superflex, not just a reseller, and there are complete kits which are cheaper than the individual components, plus if you're a TDC member there's a discount, think it was 20%.

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:49 pm 

I'm with Jon, depends. The ones I do are drag strut to front subframe and rear upper link to axle and I do those because the rubber doesn't last not anything to do with ride when they are fresh. I certainly agree with Jonners on the rose joint. 99.9% of the improvement that comes from poly comes from the rubber they replace being shot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:21 pm 

Quote:
Chris Witor is Superflex.
Well you haven't see me perform yet.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:02 am 

I'm with Raf. SuperFlex is the one to go for. They're worth the money. Chris Witor is the official UK disributor so to all intents and purposes he is SuperFlex. I replaced the bushes on my lower suspension arms with SuperFlex ones and they've been fine ever since. Some bushes might need a vice but it is all DIY-able.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:15 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
is it worth doing
Yes

Quote:
which ones do you recomend
I have only used Superflex and I am going to do so again.
They are produced with "fast" road in mind.

Quote:
how much do they cost
Please see Chris Witor's website. If you phone him he'll give a discount there and then (since you are a TDC member),
subject to the minimum order requirement being met.

Quote:
Not with Superflex (although they do have some options, e.g. for T2000 drag struts).
Other makes have options, but I have no experience of these so therefore cannot offer an opinion.

Quote:
For Superflex yes, no press is required.
A large vice and/or threaded bar with sockets and washers will suffice.
All Superflex bushes have proper stainless steel tubes, which simply slide into place
after first fitting the bush.

Ian.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:01 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

Some of the Polybush branded ones are available in 'comfort' spec and also some of them are in two halves so are really easy to fit. Polybush are the only other polyurethane bushes I would recommend. They are available from numerous stockists or direct from Polybush themselves.

Some I fitted with a press because I happened to have one, it made it really easy but you could also use a threaded bar as already suggested.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:05 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
how much do they cost
Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a spreadsheet showing the current prices from Rimmers, ANG, Witors, Wins, Paddocks, Quillers and Polybush.

The spreadsheet also shows what they include in their various kits.

And also read this recent thread viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32349. Despite what others are suggesting there is no additional club discount on Chris Witor's already discounted kits.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:42 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Chris Witor is Superflex.
Well you haven't see me perform yet.

Jeroen
Slow down a bit, dinner and a movie first.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:58 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Despite what others are suggesting there is no additional club discount on Chris Witor's already discounted kits.
This must have changed recently then, as I looked up the invoice and the complete kit that I bought in September 2015, listed as SPF0374FBKD for £183 at the time, came with 10% off.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:48 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Quote:
Despite what others are suggesting there is no additional club discount on Chris Witor's already discounted kits.
This must have changed recently then, as I looked up the invoice and the complete kit that I bought in September 2015, listed as SPF0374FBKD for £183 at the time, came with 10% off.
If that was the front bushes kit it is now listed at £149 plus VAT (on Chris Witor's own site, not his Superflex site). That is more or less a 15% discount on the list prices (on the Superflex site) of the individual bushes in the kit.

His rear basic kit is now £94.50 which is also a 15% on the individual bush prices. That has come down from the £100 plus VAT I paid last week. Must have been something I said! I see that Chris has also now put a note on the kit details that no further discounts apply.

I don't really have a problem with any of this but I did get into it thinking (like others, it seems) that I would get a club discount on the kits. Eyes now open!

I have updated my spreadsheet to cover the rear kit price change. PM me with your email address if anybody wants a copy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:32 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:

Mines all done front to back - I bought all my bushes from viamoto and saved myself a lot of money.

https://www.viamoto.co.uk/products.php? ... %26+Toledo
Thanks for this link Paul. I have added Viamoto to the spreadsheet. Some interesting prices in there!