The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:20 am 
Hey guys, i'm slowly rectifying all of the little noises my tolly is throwing up, but for the life of me can't workout what this really annoying grrr is, it only happens at 50+ mph on balanced throttle and ever so slightly on acceleration, nothing on the overrun, on the drive I can only get it to make it on acceleration, no grr on the overrun but it's coming from timing chain area, i've ruled it out up till now purely because there is no noise on the overrun but now i'm curious

I've replaced the thrust washers twice, it's not them, the exhaust is now clearing everything so it's not that, there is the tiniest bit of play in the waterpump but I can't bring myself to believe it would make such a loud/horrid noise

Any ideas? I'm now leaning towards timing chain, so is it possible to change it with the engine in the car?

Thanks
Cam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:03 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Simple and silly but easy to miss. Might it be the engine, due to rubbish modern engine mounts, on the steering rack?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:47 pm 
Doesn't sound silly at all! I've just changed the downpipe because that was touching the steering rack, and it got alot quieter, so I'll have a look :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:49 pm 

Daughter Rebecca was racing a Porsche GT3 two seasons ago and they had oil everywhere but could not find where it came from so they set up a Go Pro camera on the engine bay and raced the car.
They looked at the footage and found the gearbox was spewing oil at certain revs.
What has this got to do with your problem? Well there are plenty of cheap camera's that can be fixed to see what is happening, also an old dodge is wrap plasticine round suspected items and see what gives.

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!