The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:38 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:21 pm 
TDC Member

Spotted a couple of old car radios on ebay; one was a Unipart branded radio cassette, the other appeared to be fitted in a base Dolomite radio surround so I took a punt on them and won the auction. I now have a good condition radio surround for the 1500 base and a decent-looking radio to replace the too-modern Pioneer unit in the 1850 auto :)
Decided today to try to sort out the 1850. First problem - can't work out how to remove the radio surround unless I need to remove the centre vent console as well so it can be lifted off the parcel shelf.
Second problem, no idea what wires go where in the 'new' (old!!) radio cassette. Four wires ran to a multiplug type connector. As I don't have the female part of this I hacked it off for starters! I assume the four wires are for two speakers as it has a cassette deck. Linked up the only other wire (grey) to 12v through an inline 2 amp fuse, briefly got a 'pop' through the in-dash speaker when I switched it on before it fizzed a bit and blew the fuse :o
So... does anyone here have any ideas what wire should go where on a Unipart 614/ Motorola 403 radio cassette? It would be a nice bit of kit if it worked, certainly looks good filling a hole in the dash!

1980 Dolomite 1850HL Auto
1977 Dolomite 1500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:17 pm 
TDC Member

Do these radios have a label on them saying "Positive Earth Only" ? If so there will be some repairs needed. ( Hence the fuse blowing. ) There were also some Mototola and Ekco radios around in the 70's that would be unhappy if there wasn't a loudspeaker connected.
There should be a 2-pin connector which goes to the single loudspeaker mounted at the top of the dashboard. From memory you also needed a 3 ohm loudspeaker to get full power but check the manual.
The single +12 Vpower supply wire should have an in-line noise suppression choke and an in-line fuse ( check the rating in the manual ) which should connect via a bullet connector to the white/ pink wire behind the air-vent.
Supply return was usually via the outer of the coaxial cable from the car aerial. You also need the early type of aerial connector if you have a modern aerial.
If there is a separate earth connector on the metalwork of the radio this goes to a good earth point behind the dashboard.
These sets are jolly good for listening to the Home Service and the Light Programme or the 3rd programme if you like Classical music :-)
HTH,
Tony.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:01 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Do these radios have a label on them saying "Positive Earth Only" ? If so there will be some repairs needed. ( Hence the fuse blowing. ) There were also some Mototola and Ekco radios around in the 70's that would be unhappy if there wasn't a loudspeaker connected.
There should be a 2-pin connector which goes to the single loudspeaker mounted at the top of the dashboard. From memory you also needed a 3 ohm loudspeaker to get full power but check the manual.
The single +12 Vpower supply wire should have an in-line noise suppression choke and an in-line fuse ( check the rating in the manual ) which should connect via a bullet connector to the white/ pink wire behind the air-vent.
Supply return was usually via the outer of the coaxial cable from the car aerial. You also need the early type of aerial connector if you have a modern aerial.
If there is a separate earth connector on the metalwork of the radio this goes to a good earth point behind the dashboard.
These sets are jolly good for listening to the Home Service and the Light Programme or the 3rd programme if you like Classical music :-)
HTH,
Tony.
Thanks Tony. Both radios are negative earth. Never knew a radio can earth through the aerial cable! The aerial lead and connector are compatible and my loudspeaker connector has been extended to two spade connectors. I've located the 12v radio supply so it seems I'm part way there.
I'm more than happy listening to the Home Service, or Radio 4 to use its new-fangled name :D Will see if the cassette deck also works as I have a large collection of cassettes!
Still no mention of how to get the radio surround out - do I need to remove the air vent/ choke/ cigar lighter console?

1977 Dolomite 1500

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:22 pm 
TDC Member

If it's the standard plastic BL issue surround I found I had to undo the parcel shelf to get it to drop a bit so the surround would come out. If you try to force it, you will tear the padding on the shelf. It's a real pain.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:12 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

On an HL you can get at the bracket on the parcel shelf above the tunnel if you take the centre vent out and leave it dangling on the choke cable carefully, but you shouldt need to.

There are two crosshead screws that hold the trim to the bracket about halef way down each side.

Ive also done similar by unscrewing the parcel shelf from the centre hoop over the tunnel and then the bracket can be unscrewed with a stubby one from underneath the parcel shelf.

Jonners

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:02 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
On an HL you can get at the bracket on the parcel shelf above the tunnel if you take the centre vent out and leave it dangling on the choke cable carefully, but you shouldn't need to.
Jonners
Thanks Jon.
I had an idea that was the answer. So much easier to get at on the base models!

1977 Dolomite 1500