The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Oil
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:29 pm 
HI everyone, just wondered what easily-accessible oil (e.g from Halfords or Wilkos) do you recommend for my Sprint engine please? It hasn't run for 10 years and I'm about to try to get it running again.
Thanks for any help.
Richard.

Post subject: Re: Oil
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:46 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I would just fill it with what ever cheap stuff your local factors sells with an SE/CC rating 20W 50 and then change it for some good stuff
after a few hundred miles.

Oil doesnt deteriorate too much unless its had a lot of condensation, so its probably not worth the risk and drop the existing sump contents
without messing about.

Then the cheap stuff with a new filter for a short flush period and then go for some good stuff SJ rated and 10W 50 if possible.

Jonners

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:55 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

hi, to get the car running again, just use a cheap 20w50 usually sold in gallon containers or 4.5 something ltrs. it is reclaimed oil and total crap!! but it is suitable for using as a flush.
run the engine with this in for about 5 or 10 miles or untill it has got very hot a couple of times.
then drain out while hot and refill with a good 20w50 i use morris golden film i find it very good and holds good oil pressure when hot. (its on ebay £22 99p inc del).
just use a good make. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:11 pm 
TDC Member

As you're a club member you should get a discount from Opie oils.

As has been said, use the cheap stuff for a flush. Then get some Castrol 20W/50 from them and use that.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:50 pm 

Buy some cheap stuff and then buy some decent like valvoline, motul, castrol, millers, bahrdal, kendall, duckhams, penrite, redline, silkolene, penzoil, mobil, total, amsoil, lucas, shell, havoline, petronas, agip, repsol, chevron, gulf or eurol.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:30 pm 
TDC Member

All of the above available from Opie oils!

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:33 pm 
TDC Member

For an engine that hasn't run for ten years I agree that a flush is appropriate, but I don't see the point of using a poor oil at this critical time. How much of an engine rebuild can you get for the tenner you would save?

Choose one off Jeroen's list, but use it for the both the flush and the second fill.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:42 pm 

I wasn't that serious with that list. The last long standing engine that I made running I did put in a mixture of solvents and petrol. I let the oil out and fitted the plug again. Then filled the sump with the petrol mix and had it stood for a week. When letting that off it surprised me what mug came with it.

Jeroen.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:29 pm 
TDC Cheshire Area Organiser

Quote:
I wasn't that serious with that list. The last long standing engine that I made running I did put in a mixture of solvents and petrol. I let the oil out and fitted the plug again. Then filled the sump with the petrol mix and had it stood for a week. When letting that off it surprised me what mug came with it.

Jeroen.
i agree with above, the cheap is ok ish, but not good for using day to day, it does not keep its viscosity.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:04 am 
Thanks for the replies everyone. Much appreciated.
Richard.