The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: Trackerjack Brakes
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:14 am 
TDC Member

Interesting as on my race car I continued to use the original load sensing valve set up. However, I suspect the final setup that is best depends on a number of factors:
1. LSD or not? Braking into a corner without one will unload one rear wheel and make it much more likely to lock. An LSD with correct ramp angles will allow hard braking into a corner apex and hard acceleration out without lockup or wheelspin.
2. Tyre compound type and how sticky
3. What brake compound on the front pads and also rear shoes.
4. What modifications are done to front and rear brake setup.

Probably more by luck and some trial and error, mine was well balanced although until warm, the fronts would lock first.

On both road cars I still use the original setup but combined with good tyres where grip is the priority, and proven, quality brake pads and linings on the shoes. However I drive as befits a car with a one star safety rating and avoid town driving wherever possible!

Geoff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:05 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Thanks lads,
Yes actual racing is different from track days as is road driving.
I reckon the lsv is surplus to requirements and can be left in or not as you please.
I never once had a brake lock up problem on track but you don't need to go fast to get to the limits of a standard set up. Try coming down off Dartmoor and that alone gets the standard set puffing smoke :lol:

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:43 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
.......... Try coming down off Dartmoor and that alone gets the standard set puffing smoke :lol:
You used the brakes? :roll:

:lol:

Post subject: Aye....
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:53 am 
TDC Member

Why is a load sensing valve necessary on a Sprint?
"Sprint" brakes were first used on 60s Fords (eg Ford Cortina mark 2 GT),
said Fords being considerably lighter than a Sprint, yet they don't lock the back brakes before the front.

For the last decade on here I have asked this question on here without ever getting a reply.
Maybe this time someone will answer?

Ian.

Post subject: Re: Aye....
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:18 pm 

Quote:
Why is a load sensing valve necessary on a Sprint?
"Sprint" brakes were first used on 60s Fords (eg Ford Cortina mark 2 GT),
said Fords being considerably lighter than a Sprint, yet they don't lock the back brakes before the front.

For the last decade on here I have asked this question on here without ever getting a reply.
Maybe this time someone will answer?

Ian.
Just guessing here Ian but Fords, though raiding parts bins like all manufacturers, they (Ford) had suitable rear drums off other small saloons to use. Triumph on the other hand "botched" the job by using a TR4 type back axle together with its large diameter drums which are the same size as Ford would have used on larger heavier cars like the 3litre Crapi and Granada. Triumph also made the Sprint engine with huge lumps of cast iron instead of a proper lighter tin sump which resulted in an extremely heavy 2 litre engine. All in all a bit of a bitsa! but dont they go well 8) )
Just a further thought, Triumph could have put larger rear cylinders on to lessen the pressure.
The load sensing was advanced for its time and also remember that Fords were still using cart springs for suspension and it would take them a few years to set the standards that they do now.

The lunatic is out................heres Jonny!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:42 pm 
TDC Member

The Cortina MK2 GT (among others) rear brake shoe size is 228 x 45mm and so are the Sprint's, they are apparently the same shoe, I was expecting there to be a difference. I doubt the Ford has a better front to rear weight balance, so maybe bigger swept area on the front brakes I thought, but no, they used the same pads. Cortina is lighter at 875kg to the Sprint's 991kg, at 4.267m the Cortina is 15cm longer but the wheelbase only 4cm more. Fully dressed 1600 Crossflow weighs 110kg 'ish and the Sprint estimated at 150kg 'ish so definitely more weight up front. Rear wheel cylinder 7/8" (22.22mm) bore on the Cortina is quite a bit bigger than either the 5/8" (15.8mm) or 3/4" (19.05mm) which may or may not be fitted to a Sprint. So lower nose weight and larger rear wheel cylinders is the reason for the LSV, which after all that is what Trackerjack said but with less words, interesting to look up though!

My dad always sneered at Ford's as being cheap and cheerful tin cans with a particular haughtiness about the sound of their starter motors for some reason. And though the list of previous cars started with an Austin Ruby then a Peugeot 203 which he loved but apparently did him no favours with the ladies so he bought a Norton Commander, got married and got an Austin A60, followed by a Triumph 2500 PI, by which time he had changed his mind about Fords clearly and got a new MK3 Fiesta with his mobility allowance money, but I digress.

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

Post subject: Oh.....
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:23 am 
TDC Member

At last, not just one but two replies :D !

I am unconvinced that the engine weight is a factor, given that there were V6 Capris.

Not sure about the wheel cylinders either, I used Cortina 1600E seals on my first Sprint :?
(Got the kit from the local Ford dealer.)

The actuating arms on a Dolomite and Sprint are different to the Fords, but the return springs, hold down kits, H-piece, shoes (both types)
are all the same.

thanks

Ian.